Describe differences

Pucks104

Mouseketeer
So it’s been 30 years since we have been to Disney World and have never been to Universal. DH and I have a WDW trip planned for September 2019. I have begun thinking about a 2nd trip when DG is 8 yrs old.
Would some of you he willing to take a stab at trying to succinctly describe the difference between WDW and Universal?

To me, here are the key significant differences:
  1. Disney definitely skews to younger park goers while Universal skews a bit older. The majority of attractions at Disney are suitable for the entire family whereas at Universal there are a mix of attractions that are "all ages" vs. higher thrill rides that have a height requirement of 48" and 52"
  2. Disney typically requires more days to "do it all". This is simply due to the fact that Disney has more parks (4) as compared to Universal (2). So while you probably need a minimum of say 5 park days at Disney to experience the majority of things (one day per park, with 2 days at Magic Kingdom), you will want a min at Universal of 3 days.
  3. Disney requires far more planning than Universal for optimal enjoyment. With Disney you have to book your fast passes and/or restaurant reservations out well in advance when the booking window opens (60 days in advance if staying onsite, 30 days in advance if not staying onsite), and it kind of locks you in to specific days to specific parks once you've picked your fast passes. At universal, you don't need to book thing out in advance.
    1. This brings up the other big difference. Disney has "Fast Pass+" which is a system that allows you to book up to 3 attractions per day where you enter a shorter "Fast Pass" line. Then once you have done the 3 fast passes, you can add more (one at a time) in the park. With this system though it is sometimes difficult to get the rides you want, on the date and time you want because the headlining attractions can all get "booked up" really quickly since there is a limited number they give per attraction, per hour. Universal does not have this system but instead has an "Express Pass" system. If you have Express Pass, you can go in the shorter Express Pass line anytime you want. If you are staying at one of the onsite Deluxe resorts (Portofino, Hard Rock, or Royal Pacific) you get free unlimited Express Pass for the length of your stay, or you can purchase it separately ahead of time or in the parks.
Those are the main differences that I can think of.

@davper said it short and sweet, WDW is Magical and UOS is Thrilling.

In my opinion, Universal I believe is more innovative in creating new attractions than Disney has lately (specifically in the creation of the new Harry Potter attractions specifically). A lot faster in doing it too.

I also want to share the little differences in the actual experiences themselves that would affect your experience:
- Very few character meet and greets compared to Disney, but are more unique at Universal. Some of the characters you'd expect to meet are surprising.
- Not really any "PhotoPass" type of individuals at Universal compared to Disney (do not know what they're called at Universal).
- You have fast pass at Disney for free, but have to pay for EP at Universal, or stay at an on property site in order to get unlimited EP.
- Disney's night time shows at all parks are absolutely amazing and worth seeing at least once. However, cannot judge Universal's show, as I haven't seen the new one yet.
- Theming for table service / unique dining is quite amazing at Disney (but that goes with the "magical" element as the ones that are extremely amazing are in relation to Princess theme), but while Universal doesn't have anything as extravagant, all their restaurants have great theming for their restaurants all around whether QS, or dine-in. Where as for Disney it's a hit, or miss in terms of them even trying with a QS location. It seems Universal does their best regardless of what type of restaurant it is.
- Quality of food at Quick Service type of restaurants (for the most part) are better than Disney. For dine-in options, I do not have an opinion on who is the best.
- A lot of lines at Universal are designed to stay indoors for the most park, or long enough that they stay indoors, where as a lot more of Disney queues can be outdoors, or are not long enough that they end up exceeding outside.
- Rope drop / EE is a lot more relaxed, organized, and not as aggressive at Universal compared to Disney.
- Also the first couple of hours are pretty low in wait times at Universal, but can be longer in WWoHP areas, especially if it's peak season. Where as Disney parks (depending on which one), can get pretty crowded quickly sometimes, especially during peak seasons.
- Disney is starting to seem always busy no matter what time of the year you go, only getting more intense during certain times of the year, where as Universal has a lot more down time seasons.
- Universal app is more detailed than Disney and goes as far as even detailing things such as dog rest areas for one example, as well as I feel is easier to use.

I think I should stop now, but I think I covered most it in terms of things that could affect how you feel, or experience the places themselves.

So what if DH and I decided on one day of our Disney trip as a Universal day. Perhaps in lieu of our DHS day depending on how things seem to be going once SWGE is open. Could we just show up, buy tickets and express pass and have a fun day?
I assume one could take and Uber or Lyft from Disney to Universal?

So what if DH and I decided on one day of our Disney trip as a Universal day. Perhaps in lieu of our DHS day depending on how things seem to be going once SWGE is open. Could we just show up, buy tickets and express pass and have a fun day?
I assume one could take and Uber or Lyft from Disney to Universal?

Yes, you can do all that, but it's more money at the gate than it is to purchase tickets online and do not be shocked at the prices for EP tickets.

Here is the prices for EP, but will be more depending on if it's during peak season, or not:
https://www.universalorlando.com/webcontent/en/us/tickets-packages/express-passes?v=a6

Yes, you can do all that, but it's more money at the gate than it is to purchase tickets online and do not be shocked at the prices for EP tickets.

Here is the prices for EP, but will be more depending on if it's during peak season, or not:
https://www.universalorlando.com/webcontent/en/us/tickets-packages/express-passes?v=a6
This is a splurge trip for us so it looks doable.
We will wait until SWGE opens at WDW and make a decision a couple of days heft we head down. We are going in mid-September so we should have an idea of what DHS is like before we go. It’s nice to have another option just in case we decide to avoid DHS altogether.

This is a splurge trip for us so it looks doable.
We will wait until SWGE opens at WDW and make a decision a couple of days heft we head down. We are going in mid-September so we should have an idea of what DHS is like before we go. It’s nice to have another option just in case we decide to avoid DHS altogether.

I want to say as an APH currently for Disney I have a feeling it's going to still be absolutely insane in mid-Sept, especially if you're going to be in the GE section of the part. Even if you avoid that all together, you have TSL which might still be busy with SDD since a lot of people who are avoiding that area is going there, especially if they have very young children, as well as the few people who are done with GE. From there, there isn't much else to do, especially compared to USF.

But definitely keep an eye on the forums and ask around a few days prior. Also it'll probably help to download the Disney app and look at the wait times here and there out of curiosity to see how it is prior to your vacation time as well.

Check out the food in the CityWalk section, lots of great options. I'd say the Harry Potter areas in both parks are just as magical, if not more so, than Disney. The crowds are far less manic too depending on the time of year/events. There are family rides but it also has a lot more thrilling rides.

Also, if you are going in September, HHN starts early in the month, and will cut the hours for the Studios to 5pm, while the Islands may stay open until 7 or 8, maybe even 9. Check the calendar on Universal's website to see the hours. Also, you can buy your ticket from an authorized reseller, like Undercovertourist (that has price including tax, while Universal's adds tax after), to help not standing in a ticket line. Finally, express pass is date and park(s) specific, with no refunds. While the price of express pass generally does not change, if expected crowds are bigger than expected, Universal may increase the express pass price. Most of us recommend buying it in the parks. It is sold everywhere, and I've rarely seen a line at some of the places they sell it at. And like any park, get there before open. Sometimes Universal will open the park a few minutes early, and well, crowds, particularly during HHN come around lunchtime, until much more crowded as day goes on, as most like to stay inside the park, in holding pens, to get a jump on HHN in the Studios. City Walk becomes more congested as the Studios close, and HHN goers start their walk to the Studios.

Have a great time, if you do decide. I would go to the must ride, rides as soon as you get there. The first open hour is usually having the shortest lines. It will be a long day.

Also, if you are going to use Uber or Lyft, get them to drop you off and pick up at the Hard Rock hotel. It is a short walk, or boat ride, to City Walk, nearest the Studios. I'd say, walk. It is not that far. Security on the walking path, and for the boats is much less busy than City Walk security from the parking garage area.

Any way, I do find Universal easier to have easier to navigate parks, then some of Disney's.

One difference between the two are bags being allowed on all rides at Disney and none at Universal(most rides). Universal will provide a free locker for you to put your bags during the ride. The length of the free locker is using the time the line is plus a little extra. The locker for Jurassic Park costs money because it's a water ride that allows you to bring your bags on. Some of the rides if you can fit everything into a pocket they'll let you on, but there are some big roller coasters that you go through metal detectors to make sure you don't have anything on you.

One difference between the two are bags being allowed on all rides at Disney and none at Universal(most rides). Universal will provide a free locker for you to put your bags during the ride. The length of the free locker is using the time the line is plus a little extra. The locker for Jurassic Park costs money because it's a water ride that allows you to bring your bags on. Some of the rides if you can fit everything into a pocket they'll let you on, but there are some big roller coasters that you go through metal detectors to make sure you don't have anything on you.
Thank you. That’s not something I would have thought about.

For me the biggest difference between the two is the difference between Fast Pass/Express Pass, particularly when staying at one of UA 3 resorts. It makes touring the park so much easier and relaxed. No need to reserve and fight for fast passes. You can be more spontaneous and not feel like every minute is scheduled. Its night and day. Yes, you can buy Express Passes but they can be pricey so entry is much more limited.
Im from South Florida, when I ever do go to Disney now, its to just walk around and take in the atmosphere. I cant stand the regimented way it needs to be handled now. While the atmosphere is markedly different, the experience at UA, for ME, is much more enjoyable.

We went Sept of 2018 and the Universal crowds were rate 2 or 3 out of 10. We had no trouble doing everything we wanted to in 2 days (not the water park). So you are going at a good time to get the best out of Universal w/o crowds. Disney crowds will be low too but still more crowded than Universal.

Thank you @Pucks104 for this thread, I have been looking into this exact scenario for our September trip. I am pretty well versed in Disney but know absolutely nothing about universal. Thank you everyone for your helpful answers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter