Desert driving?

Juliah

DIS Veteran
As a midwesterner, I have next to no experience with desert driving. I'm hoping you can give me some advice.

After a conference in Phoenix in late June, we will be driving to Disneyland, then driving back east to Albuquerque on our way home to the Midwest. Should I be concerned about the effect of driving through the desert in the heat of the day on our vehicle? Is it necessary to try to drive in the early morning or in the evening? In terms of the heat or the amount of time in the desert, does it matter whether we take highway 10 or 40 on the way east from CA to Albuquerque?

BTW, our minivan is only a few years old, but we will be pulling a small UHaul trailer.

Thanks in advance.

You should be fine. No need to limit your driving to early morning or late evening. I drive in the desert all the time. No problems! You will be driving I-10 which is a major interestate from AZ to CA. There are plenty of areas to stop and cool off, especially near Indio. I have not taken I-40 to NM, but it is a higher elevation and won't be as hot. The only thing I would recommend is putting a gallon of water in the van, just in case of overheating. Make sure you have plenty to drink for your family as well. It is very dry in June in Phoenix!

Thank you! That's very reassuring. Great info about places to stop, extra water, and elevation. I hadn't thought about the elevation and the difference it would make in the temperature.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter