Desert, "old west", and kitschy

AliciaS

Mouseketeer
I am trying to figure out whether to fly into Las Vegas (no stops) or LAX (change planes in Las Vegas) and what we'll do after four nights in DL. In July we will have a 6 year-old boy and a nearly 2 year-old boy.

I want them to experience a bit of desert, "old west", and maybe some good old 1960s California tourist kitsch. Would the drive from Vegas to Anaheim be just flat boring desert or is it pretty desert? Is there a tourist spot or two along the way, like the cars in the ground or the fig ice cream stand?

I am also looking into Yosemite and it looks like there is a steam train there. Has anyone done the activities around Wawona? Do you know of any good "old west" towns? Ghost towns? Cowboy recreation towns?

Thanks!

Too bad you're not coming to Arizona, sounds like Tombstone would be right up your alley.

They have a train ride outside the South Entrance of Yosemite. I think it's called Sugar Pine. Wawona has stagecoach rides and reenactments of the Buffalo Soldiers who patrolled the park years ago.

I have yet to see a "pretty" desert in the summertime. It's all sand and not much else. If you are in Arizona, you can see saguaro cactus, but that's the only place they grow.

(Disclaimer) I haven't been there in about 20 years, but you might look into Calico Ghost Town outside of Barstow (off of 1-15). It looks like the "old West kitschy" you were referring to, and it would break up the drive between Las Vegas and Orange County. See what the TripAdvisor reviews say?

Best of luck,
PHXscuba

Thank you all for the great suggestions! I'll look into them all tonight. It looks like we may add Arizona to the itinerary - gotta see those cacti! I'm open. I did want to show the boys stereotypical desert, not just from a five lane highway, but where you can see the sand and maybe pull over and let the soles of your shoes melt into the pavement just a little bit (like it did with my dad 30 years ago).

You might want to consider driving through Death Valley. If you want to Sand Dunes you need to go down close to Yuma on I-8.

We've stopped at Calico ghost town a couple of times. My son really enjoyed it especially the little train ride.
If it's hot in the desert it's even hotter up in the hills. I think it was 113 F one time we went. Going in the underground mine where it's cooler was definetly a treat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter