Dessert before Dinner: a trifecta of dining reports? Update 9/22 LTT COMPLETE!

So I assume you'll be trying his new DS restaurant soon? Ricky is a big dumpling fan also, glad to hear they're good!
No we are gonna skip the new restaurant since we have the exact same one here.

I see it now, all of us in WS going "wait wait wait, take one of us THIS way!" "Do us next!" "Stop staring at us a$$h000es!"
He is so gonna love us all :P

The person who is going to eat mushrooms in front of you next month?
:crazy2::crazy2::crazy2::crazy2::crazy2:

We'd sampled the Festival of the Arts in January and while we loved the activities, special events, etc. that it has we were NOT fans of the food.
We were in the same camp. We barely found anything we wanted to try. Very disappointing.

img_1093-jpg.393882

Not my first avocado marg rodeo! I was totally reluctant to try this thing a few years ago and now am totally glad I did, it's nothing at all like I thought it'd be. It's refreshing, fresh-tasting, sweeter than avocado but not sweet at all at the same time.
Yum, one of my favs!!! Though the prices really have gotten ridiculous.

Again sorry for the poor picture! LOVED this, the flavors were delicious. The pork HAD so much flavor and I'm a sucker for anything pineapple which I'm sure you know given my love for the Capt. Cook pulled pork nachos with pineapple salsa. What I do not like at all, not even a little bit, is cilantro, which tastes like cheap dish soap to me. For whatever reason the cilantro-lemon corn was amazing and I ate every piece. OH FYI, corn is the only veggie I eat :D I have a picture of the corn tortillas but I'm out of space - take my word they looked like corn tortillas.
Maybe cilantro is your new mushroom o_O

And don't forget the ghost behind him

I think way back in and old PTR I posted some MGMpics from our first trips with the boys in like 2006/7, I'll have to find them and post again.
Yes, please do! ::yes::

"Glitz and Glamour" :lovestruc
I knew you'd love that ;)

Ugh I don't even think we'll go to HS on our NYE trip!
I can hardly blame you for that strategy... especially since I imagine both of the SWL rides will be operating by that point.

Hello friends! Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend. Yesterday Steve and I saw "Pet Sematary" - I may have mentioned I'm a HUGE S. King fan and my parents took me to his house back when I was 17. I also got to shake his hand years back when he gave the commencement speech at Vassar College - I didn't go there but we crashed the ceremony lol. His oldest son had gone there (Joe, the writer) so they asked him to come back and speak. Anyway Pet Sematary was the 2nd SK book I ever read and I do love the original. The new one was......ok. Not as bad as other remakes and they kept in some parts/lines that are favorites of mine but on the other hand too much was different and didn't fall into place well. The BEST part, which you'll only get if you're a fan of the original, is the name of the caller who caused the truck driver to crash ::yes:: And that's all I'll say about that!
Also picked up a cute Dumbo shirt for my May EPIC trip along with some stuff from Kohl's, I know this is a dining report but if I get a chance I may post pics of some of the new things I've bought before we leave. Kids are on spring break this week so we're doing 2 college visits for Ricky :sad1: and finally going to see Aladdin on Broadway!
Oh and leaving Kohl's I took this picture:

IMG_1428.JPG
Do we still have a Blockbuster? No. Are they filming a show for Netflix by me? Yes :thumbsup2 No idea which one but I do know some kids that Chris goes to school with are extras. So they put the signage up on this empty store front. Brings me right back to the 90's!
And I have to stick this in because, well, I'm a grandma:

IMG_1414.JPG

Not the best but Hayden always gets the glory so I thought I'd show mom, too!

Trifecta Trip #2 (but really #3)
Happy Surprise Birthday To Me!
And Happy MLK signature dinner too?
We left Epcot after our 2nd go 'round at the Animation Academy and made a pit stop at MK for a fastpass or two and took a spin on the Liberty Belle. On our way out we saw Chicken Little out for the special 90th birthday celebration:

IMG_1135.JPG

He wasn't actually meeting, he was more wandering around and interacting with little kids but not stopping for pictures. The CM with him made it known that he wasn't officially meeting; hoping if I get the Robin Hood or Zootopia guys next month they'll stop for pictures!
We left to run back to French Quarter to change for our dinner; we were going to a signature I'd been wanting to return to but we hadn't been to since our first adults only trip in 2016! We grabbed a lift over to the Yacht Club to check in for our reservation here:

yachtsmansign.jpg

Mmmm! We were about 5 minutes early but found a little backup of guests waiting for tables, so after giving our name we grabbed a table next door at Crew's Cup. I'm sure our drink choices will surprise everyone:

White Sangria
Beso Del Sol White Sangria made from a 100% natural blend of white Spanish Grapes, Lemon, Peach, and Mango Juices

Moscow Mule
Russian Standard Vodka, Lime Juice, and Pure Cane Sugar topped with Fever Tree Ginger Beer

IMG_1140.JPG

Because we really know how to switch it up!
The Beso Del Sol isn't my favorite but it's not bad and I was in the mood for sangria. We ended up sitting there for close to a half hour waiting to be seated and we were rippin' hungry so very happy when we were finally seated.
Our server Christine came over and we ordered refills on our drinks. Now all we needed were those yummy onion rolls!

Which we got about 20 minutes later :sad2:

IMG_1142.JPG

These are delicious! Steve and I each had 2 when they finally got to us. Unfortunately Christine did not take our order when she brought or rolls so we ended up waiting another 15 minutes for that to happen. Needless to say service here was NOT stellar. It also took forever to get our third round of drinks which did NOT come with the rolls. Finally we ordered and eventually Steve got his app:

Caesar Salad
Crisp Romaine, Parmigiano, Coppa Secca, and Focaccia Croutons

IMG_1144.JPG

He liked this and appreciated the Caesar being "different".

Eventually our entrees came. We'd both ordered MEAT with some extra sides:

8-oz Black Angus Filet Mignon
Mashed Potatoes, Cabernet Wine Sauce

IMG_1146.JPG

This was mine. The mashed potatoes were good but the filet unfortunately not so much. It wasn't very tender and was a bit chewy.

Here's Steve's:
16-oz Prime Rib-Eye Steak
Truffle Fries with Black Garlic Aïoli, Blue Heaven Shallot Butter

IMG_1148.JPG

Minus the fries. His was a little better than mine but not good enough that he was impressed. We were both disappointed with our entrees but our sides were a better:

Beef Fat Potatoes
Beef Fat, Marbled Potatoes, Crème Fraîche

IMG_1151.JPG

I'd heard so much about these and passed that on to Steve so we were anxious to try these: I didn't think they were anything special and Steve thought they were ok. On the other hand-

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST

YACHTSMAN CON'T'

As I was saying, on the other hand our 2nd side was out of this world delicious:
Truffle Macaroni & Cheese

Orecchiette Pasta, Reypenaer VSOP Cheese, Onion Roll Crumbs

IMG_1145.JPG

We had this on our 1st visit and it was even better than we remembered. I could make a meal out of this! I'm not really a mac n cheese person but this was so different and it's so creamy, and the truffle oil has a huge, positive impact on taste. This dish was pretty much empty when we were done with it.

Despite not really enjoying our entrees we were full and didn't want dessert; we figured it would also be another 90 minutes if we did so. Our server was pleasant and friendly, just slow and not really there. We longingly looked around at other tables with very attentive servers.....

Eventually we paid up and took a stroll around the BW which you really need to do when you're there. We caught our favorite performer again, Coney Island Chris:

IMG_1154.JPG

IMG_1158.JPG

If you ever see him out there DO NOT pass him by!! He's hysterical for all ages. Eventually we Lyfted ourselves back to FQ around 9:30 and got ready for our last day which also happened to be my BIRTHDAY party:AND the day we'd find the best prosciutto in all of WDW!

Despite saying at POFQ we have yet to make Jock Lindsay. Looking at your food and drinks this has been an oversight on my part.
Oh definitely get over there, you guys would enjoy it! I love when we find a new place to frequent that we adore :love:

Love your description of cilantro. I thought I was missing something but watched an episode of the Barefoot Contessa were Ina said she disliked it so we are not alone:thumbsup2
:laughing: Tasting like soap is actually a thing! If you google it there's lots of articles and info on it; some say it's a taste bud thing and others say it's in our heads lol

Poor Kathy last month was freaked out by the massive crowds until the park opened. I told her just wait when we turn right everyone else will be going straight.
Ugh, I know it's quite scary! Worse than 7DMT at rope drop which had gotten really ridiculous in Feb when we did it. Once we went to AK for EMH and swung right towards Asia while the masses went to Pandora and it was the best feeling.

Gurl I'm right there with you ::yes::
:hug: I will occasionally do broccoli with cheese but it has to be LOTS of cheese and not lots of broccoli lol!

No we are gonna skip the new restaurant since we have the exact same one here.
Well that makes sense :thumbsup2

He is so gonna love us all :P
I don't think he has any concept of what he's gotten himself in to :lmao:

Maybe cilantro is your new mushroom o_O
I believe you are correct :rolleyes: but I'll forgive you eating cilantro around me if you put up with a mushroom gravy or side at some point :D

And don't forget the ghost behind him
:rotfl2: what is that shadow refilling our salsa bowl? It's the ghost of the Mexico pavilion! Coming soon to FB and other Disney blogs as soon as I can spread it all over social media :thumbsup2

Yes, please do! ::yes::
Going to look for them asap!

I can hardly blame you for that strategy... especially since I imagine both of the SWL rides will be operating by that point.
Yeah and I'm the only one who really feels the need to visit HS anyway when Ricky isn't with us. Steve can take or leave everything there and Chris will really only do TSM, and neither of the boys really like SDD even though I do! So we'll probably be better off skipping it.

Oh and leaving Kohl's I took this picture:

img_1428-jpg.394436

I am strange, and know there is ONE blockbuster left in the world! https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/7/18254381/last-blockbuster-usa-world-australia-closing I dont know why but i am kinda obsessed with it and want to go visit.... don't judge!

OMG he is SO CUTE I doubt he will be around when we head there in August but what a cutie!

Well this service story does not make me want to rush there any time soon... but the food does look pretty good!

I am trying to pick 1 restaurant for an adults only trip.... but its so hard cause any restaurant can have a bad server on any night...

That is really fun to have a movie filmed in your neighborhood and kids at school acting as extras. :) We've had some filming done in our town and it is fun to watch it happening. :)

We love Crews Cup lounge and have ordered the prime rib and mashed potatoes there. The food comes from the Yachtsman and is pretty good. I'm sorry to hear about the slow service you had at the Yachtsman. I've heard many mixed reviews on the place, anywhere from wonderful to disappointing. We haven't eaten there in ages because of it.

img_1428-jpg.394436

Do we still have a Blockbuster? No. Are they filming a show for Netflix by me? Yes :thumbsup2 No idea which one but I do know some kids that Chris goes to school with are extras. So they put the signage up on this empty store front. Brings me right back to the 90's!
This is awesome! Can't wait to hear what it is

She is beyond adorable!!!

I'm sure our drink choices will surprise everyone:
White Sangria
Beso Del Sol White Sangria made from a 100% natural blend of white Spanish Grapes, Lemon, Peach, and Mango Juices

Moscow Mule
Russian Standard Vodka, Lime Juice, and Pure Cane Sugar topped with Fever Tree Ginger Beer
Are you sure these are your drinks? This is so unlike you :P

img_1142-jpg.394445

These are delicious! Steve and I each had 2 when they finally got to us. Unfortunately Christine did not take our order when she brought or rolls so we ended up waiting another 15 minutes for that to happen. Needless to say service here was NOT stellar. It also took forever to get our third round of drinks which did NOT come with the rolls
Oh I love those rolls, but I'm 99% sure we've had Christine before and had the same issues. Heck I don't think we've ever had good service at Yachtsman it always is slow and you feel like you are an imposition to them.

img_1146-jpg.394446

This was mine. The mashed potatoes were good but the filet unfortunately not so much. It wasn't very tender and was a bit chewy.
Oh no, despite the bad service the food has always been amazing for us. Clearly it wasn't a good night for them

img_1145-jpg.394506

We had this on our 1st visit and it was even better than we remembered. I could make a meal out of this! I'm not really a mac n cheese person but this was so different and it's so creamy, and the truffle oil has a huge, positive impact on taste. This dish was pretty much empty when we were done with it.
I'm not a huge mac and cheese person either, but this is a thing of beauty. I make a similar version for Easter every year that Jason loves. Though we got mac and cheese at Jiko on our last trip and it blew this one out of the water.

img_1428-jpg.394436

Do we still have a Blockbuster? No. Are they filming a show for Netflix by me? Yes :thumbsup2
How exciting! You'll have to let us know the show when you find out!

And I have to stick this in because, well, I'm a grandma
What a cutie :goodvibes

Needless to say service here was NOT stellar. It also took forever to get our third round of drinks which did NOT come with the rolls.
If service is gonna be slow, at the very least, keep the drinks comin'! :sad2:

img_1142-jpg.394445

These are delicious! Steve and I each had 2 when they finally got to us. Unfortunately Christine did not take our order when she brought or rolls so we ended up waiting another 15 minutes for that to happen. Needless to say service here was NOT stellar. It also took forever to get our third round of drinks which did NOT come with the rolls. Finally we ordered and eventually Steve got his app:
The garlic is so good! That's a shame about the service, I hate when it's super slow.

img_1146-jpg.394446

That's not how a filet should be. You should have sent it back, a steakhouse shouldn't serve bad steak.

This dish is my favorite there, so good.

This guy is great. When we stayed at the Boardwalk he was there and super entertaining. Sorry your meal was a bit of a bust there.

I just saw you had a new report and am loving it! I love San Angel Inn, but yes the tables are extremely close together. We don't go there every trip, but probably every other trip. I'm planning on going there on our June trip. I need another avocado margarita! We really like the Pollo a las Rajas and I found a recipe for it online. We like to do Disney movie and themed dinner nights at home, so I made that one night and we watched The Three Caballeros (not my favorite movie). The pork dish you got looks really good.

That's too bad that your dinner at Yachtsman wasn't that good. We went there on our last trip and while the food and service were both very good, I wasn't feeling too well that night so it was hard to really enjoy it.

Very exciting about the new grandbaby! Congratulations!

Well that is a disappointing review of Yachtsman! You'd think if you're going to be a steakhouse you'd get the steak thing down :confused3

Do we still have a Blockbuster? No. Are they filming a show for Netflix by me? Yes :thumbsup2

That's really cool :thumbsup2

img_1414-jpg.394437

Aw, she should make it into every post :love:

Despite not really enjoying our entrees we were full and didn't want dessert; we figured it would also be another 90 minutes if we did so. Our server was pleasant and friendly, just slow and not really there. We longingly looked around at other tables with very attentive servers.....

That's too bad that the steaks and the service weren't good. Mike and I went here years ago and have always wanted to go back. The Mac & Cheese looks good, but I don't know that I'd make a trip there just for that.

Beef Fat Potatoes
Beef Fat, Marbled Potatoes, Crème Fraîche

View attachment 394447

I'd heard so much about these and passed that on to Steve so we were anxious to try these: I didn't think they were anything special and Steve thought they were ok.

Last December we had a quick weekend trip to celebrate a friend's birthday. One night we went to Yachtsman. Our meal was amazing. The porterhouse for 2 was perfectly cooked and tender and we loved the beef fat potatoes (and we are not usually fans of roasted potato type dishes). 3 weeks later we returned with our kids and ordered the same exact meal because it was that good. Everything was just okay, nothing stood out like it had 3 weeks earlier, especially the potatoes. They were just bland potatoes. I think what frustrates me the most about WDW dining is the lack of consistency. The same restaurant can deliver an amazing meal which you get excited about, but then you go back on another trip, order the same meal and it isn't as good as the last time. The only WDW restaurant that has never disappointed us is V & A.

I'm going to be honest here and say I'm not 100% sure this is what we ordered? It's possible they've changed this again since February because I swear it wasn't Fundido we ordered. I kind of hope it was though because this was awesome, the chips were light and crunchy and the dip was perfect. We at all of this and almost forgot we had more coming....

It's still on the menu, and it looks like that! I had it 10 days ago!

Bring all the SW you have to but please, PLEASE don't take away the Citizens of Hollywood!

Exactly! I really hope Sunset Blvd doesn't change much (though I'm not mad if Rock N Roller re-themes) -- I'm looking forward to going to MGM once Star Wars opens so I can ride allll the other rides.

Now all we needed were those yummy onion rolls!

I haven't been to Yachtsman, but I did go to get a burger at Crew's Cup, and I ordered the rolls as an appetizer. OMG so freaking good.

Also, on my trip, I had my first (and second) Magic Bar experience, and I definitely thought of you (is that weird?)!

eek so we're doing 2 college visits for Ricky :sad1: a
What colleges!?!!? I love hearing about where kids want to go. I am weird like that!

img_1428-jpg.394436

This is too funny!

We left Epcot after our 2nd go 'round at the Animation Academy and made a pit stop at MK for a fastpass or two and took a spin on the Liberty Belle. On our way out we saw Chicken Little out for the special 90th birthday celebration:

img_1135-jpg.394443
What is the deal with these characters? Maybe I should sign up for Kenny the Pirate. The girls really want to meet Phineas and Ferb.

He wasn't actually meeting, he was more wandering around and interacting with little kids but not stopping for pictures. The CM with him made it known that he wasn't officially meeting; hoping if I get the Robin Hood or Zootopia guys next month they'll stop for pictures!
They seem to be more wandering lately. Which I find intresting. Trying to spread the magic a little? You would think with more people in the parks they wouldn't want them just wandering around.

Man I was thinking that I should add this to our adults only trip maybe but maybe not...

img_1145-jpg.394506

YUM!!!!

Hello friends! Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend. Yesterday Steve and I saw "Pet Sematary" - I may have mentioned I'm a HUGE S. King fan and my parents took me to his house back when I was 17. I also got to shake his hand years back when he gave the commencement speech at Vassar College

Kathy saw it too and liked it but she's never seen the original. How cool you got to shake his hand!

I didn't go there but we crashed the ceremony lol

:rotfl:

we're doing 2 college visits for Ricky :sad1:

Aww hang in there Mom :hug:

Hayden is so darling :goodvibes

we saw Chicken Little out for the special 90th birthday celebration

Very cute

I'm sorry the service was less than stellar at Yachtman's

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter