Dessert Parties

My question...are they worth it?

I've never done a dessert party but it seems like a cool experience. I'm going to WDW in September, but I will be solo. Is it better to do with a group?

Which dessert party is best? So far the Fantasmic, Fireworks, and Frozen parties have caught my interest.

The only one we have done is the Star Wars one at DHS and I thought it was worth it - food was good, plenty of drinks flowing, everyone got a collectible Chewie stein, and the kids all got marched out together which they found fun. They had a good set up for the viewing area where there were two sections, the front being for kids and then the adults in the back one so everyone could see well. Given the level of projections in that show I thought having a good viewing angle secured was worth it for us vs having to camp out for a good spot (not sure if that is still needed but when we did it a few years ago it was)

So guess it comes down to how much you value having that secured area - also, if doing the non-MK ones some of the value is in the alcohol so depends if you drink or not I think

I did the Illuminations dessert party in December.
In the moment I will say it did not seem worth it but there were factors that made it feel that way to me.
I had just eaten a full dinner as I was on the DDP and had only been able to find an opening a few hours prior.
It was very cold and the party ended up being inside but that info was not given on the hotline they specifically tell you to call so it ended up being quite a bit more walking than I had expected.
I felt like inside we were sat with misfits and one of the families at our table was absolutely miserable.
We were also far away from the bar and in the other part of the room there was Frozen music playing but our side was entirely too quiet.
That part of the party seemed very rushed as we then needed to walk aback over to the viewing area.
The viewing area was amazing though!
To top it off FEA was down so no ride for us.
They offered Soarin' or a FP for FEA the next day. We didn't want either.
I ended up contacting Disney and did get a partial refund.

With all that said.... I'm actually considering doing it again this summer.
Thing is I'd be going into it knowing everything that I know now.
I will not be on the DDP this time so I won't be stuffed and I will book as soon as dates come out.
I will also be prepared for the ride to be down.

The only one I've ever done was the castle fireworks one at MK, and that was 6 years ago, when it was much cheaper. I did it as part of a "thank you" to friends who let me stay DVC with them. So -to me at the time - it was worth it, because it created a special time together, doing something they would never do for themselves, so it fit the bill of what I was looking for. This is also way before the hub area was redone, so the only dessert party location was at the Tomorrowland Terrace.

I’ve only ever done the Star Wars one and I say yes it is. It’s not something I would do often but if I have the means yes I would do it.

We LOVED the Frozen Ever After party at Epcot! Great food, drinks & atmosphere. One thing we weren't aware of when we booked, though, is that you're not guaranteed a table to yourself. And if you don't jive with your table-mates, it could definitely affect your experience. Fortunately, we shared a 4-top with two awesome ladies. I think my favorite part was walking right on the Frozen ride, and then having an empty Epcot to yourself afterward. We took our sweet time leaving - we took pictures of the Christmas decorations and poked around the empty pavilions. It was so beautiful and quiet - one of my favorite experiences from the trip!

We did the Plaza Garden MK party on NYE and it was worth it, only because of the crowds. I would not do it other than NYE as i thought the quality of the desserts and other offerings lacking. I understand other dessert parties include alcohol which might make them a better value.

I've done all of the parties and the value is completely up to you. While I can walk for miles, standing in one spot can get painful quickly.

I will say the Tomorrowland Terrace HEA is a bad deal. The view isn't good at all but if you must sit the entire time this is better than the Plaza Garden View where you do have to stand during the show (but not for the dessert party). HEA Plaza Garden is the best show IMHO for viewing value. The projections on the castle are best seen straight on, Tomorrowland Terrace's view is at an angle. The area in front of the castle gets mobbed quickly and if you go in peak season it is worth every penny not to hold a spot for 2 plus hours. I'm looking forward to the new After Fireworks party. To be able to walk up almost at the last second and see the fireworks is going to be great so we will be on attractions while everyone else is waiting for the fireworks, then after the fireworks, while everyone fills the SB lines it will be time to sit and enjoy the fireworks. Looking forward to that. So if you want to avoid crowds, this has the best value.

SW at DHS is the best party hands down. The food is quite good, with enough savory items such as cheese and fun crackers and hummus that the people who don't eat sweets will be pleased. The desserts were much better than MK. The alcohol is included and bars are easy to find without long lines and there was some variety. There are characters to get your picture taken with and having it in the launch bay was fun. It wasn't crowded at all. It really seemed like a party. I plan on doing this again. It was a fun atmosphere. The viewing area is good and the show is good but not as good as HEA.

Illuminations was nice. I did not do FEA just the regular Illuminations party and like a PP had eaten in WS before the party and didn't enjoy the food. I remember there was only one savory dish chips and salsa. There was plenty of drinks and I think the kids got glow cubes but I am not sure. There was one alcoholic drink that was premixed and much too sweet for my tastes. I had the prosecco which was fine. The view was good but there was no seating. We stood at pub tables. The FPP viewing area is much better IMHO. Here is where the value becomes an issue. We did it because we were 3 families and it was easiest for the group to do as one. A solo traveler can get a great view from a half a dozen places last minute. I would not do this with just my DH and myself or even with my adult DD's. They can manage. If you have small kids who want to wander around pre-show it might be worth it.

I am going to do the R&C Illuminations dinner only because we love R&C and this is a perfect fit. If you don't drink then this is pricey.

PS My DH just walked in and read this over my shoulder and says there is no value in any of these. Why do we pay for a show we can see for free? So there you go, another opinion. Any questions, feel free to ask.

For us it wasn't, but I know others who think it's a great experience. When we did the one in MK, it was strictly in Tomorrowland Terrace and it's not my favorite view from a photography standpoint. I also didn't like how people crowded the rail. Still, it might be worth trying it again if I was booked to view from the garden. The desserts varied from good to just OK, but let's be honest...I was booking for a view that kept me from having to deal with the crowds. We also did an Epcot one and while it was a fun crowd, I don't really think a special viewing area is really a must in Epcot.

Still, so much of this is what you're making of the experience that's special and personal to you. Ex. if you're using it to celebrate something, just the shift in mindset could really make it a worthwhile thing to do.

My question...are they worth it?

I've never done a dessert party but it seems like a cool experience. I'm going to WDW in September, but I will be solo. Is it better to do with a group?

Which dessert party is best? So far the Fantasmic, Fireworks, and Frozen parties have caught my interest.
I was solo at the Plaza garden HEA show a year ago. It was my first time seeing that new show. I liked it for the desserts and the viewing area was uncrowded from my position at the back rail. However, two nights later I saw the show from a little closer. I grabbed a Casey’s Hot dog and found a great last minute spot along a concrete and iron fence fountain garden that was perfect. The projections were much more easily seen. Of course I understand that it was because I was only needing to find a spot for one person, this worked for me. It would not have worked with a group of people. But since you will also be solo you might be able to do the same. I honestly enjoyed the show much more from my closer vantage point. And it was free!

I did an Illuminations dessert party several years back - loved the offering ( champagne, wine, and tons of unlimited desserts ) and thought the value was good for all that was offered. The only thing I didn't like was that there was no seating. I'm a fairly fit person but standing for an hour prior to Illuminations and then for the whole time the show was going after walking around all day - it diminished the experience for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!