Destash 2018 Bust the Dust

Had a pretty productive day yesterday, got rid of stuff from here and there. It seems for me that it is more beneficial to move from spot to spot and do a bit of decluttering as needed as opposed to an entire room at a time. Even so I have managed to get rid of a lot so far this year. I have now reached over 50% of my goal which is more than I was able to do last year!!:banana::banana::banana:

7/1

10 misc aquarium items - donated
130 misc (new) ear protection plugs - sold
1 pkg of coffee filters (science project) - donated
1 laser pointer keychain - donated
1 cardboard box - recycled
2 mini solar panels - to son’s house
1 magnetic board - to son’s house
1 dry erase board - to son’s house
1 box of assorted posters - trashed
1 poster frame - trashed
2 sanding sponges - used up prepping wall for painting
1 Human Body model figure - donated
1 kids scientific balance beam - donated
14 sets of RC wheels - donated
8 sets of RC struts - donated
2 sets of RC axles - donated
1 set of 3 frying pans (new) - donated
8 books on disc - donated

186 items left the house

1114 items of 2018 or 55.02% of goal

Was able to get rid of some more items yesterday

2 contractor size garbage bags (hanging around) - used up for weeds from flower beds
13 comic books - donated
11 DVD’s - donated
1 printer - recycled
1 X-Box (w/ all the extras) - to son’s house
1 poster tube - to son’s house
1 laptop - to son’s house
1 small box of misc small stuff from dresser drawers - to son’s house
1 reusable grocery bag - to son’s house
1 lightsabre - to son’s house
1 threaded rod - to son’s house

35 items left the house

1149 items of 2018 or 56.93% of goal

Was able to get rid of some more items yesterday

2 contractor size garbage bags (hanging around) - used up for weeds from flower beds
13 comic books - donated
11 DVD’s - donated
1 printer - recycled
1 X-Box (w/ all the extras) - to son’s house
1 poster tube - to son’s house
1 laptop - to son’s house
1 small box of misc small stuff from dresser drawers - to son’s house
1 reusable grocery bag - to son’s house
1 lightsabre - to son’s house
1 threaded rod - to son’s house

35 items left the house

1149 items of 2018 or 56.93% of goal

With all the stuff you are sending to our son's house, he is going to have to join this thread :-)

With all the stuff you are sending to our son's house, he is going to have to join this thread :-)

I do believe Marie Kondo for the #KonMari method talks about “gifting” family with our unwanted items. Basically, yes it is probably things they also do not want or use. I do send my daughters outgrown clothes to her little cousins and they wear most of it, but they know I have no issues if they redonate it elsewhere.

For my older boys I tell them to come get what they want and if it is still in the pile in the garage by the ends of the following week, it is going to be donated.

This is stuff that he actually wants. A lot of it has been sitting here since he and the fiance moved into their house last summer. Now that things have settled down and they are comfortable he has been taking some of his old stuff to their home!!! His old bedroom here is empty except for his "good" clothes that is still hanging in the closet. Of course the spare room is still another story!!:rolleyes1:rolleyes1:rolleyes1

I found the top of a desk I haven't seen in at least a year!
I was even able to dust/clean it!!!

Tossed a bunch of useless papers and junk that had been just shoved there, put away a few things that just needed a home, and organized the rest. I've discovered that even after I ditched all the ones missing erasers and the ones that were smaller than my palm, I have enough pencils to last the rest of my lifetime and still have multitudes (unsharpened even!!) to leave to multiple generations after I'm gone!!! How does that even happen??

So another bag full of garbage is leaving the house. Didn't find anything to donate, but that's ok too.

Happy 4th everyone!

A few more items left the house as I was busy cleaning yesterday

7/3

1 grocery bag of trash from son’s former room - trashed
1 pair of work gloves - to son’s house
1 shower curtain - trashed
1 dried up/brittle roll of duct tape - trashed
2 cutting boards - trashed
1 cardboard box recycled

7 items left the house

1156 items of 2018 or 57.25% of goal

1towel trashed
1 baby quilt cut for repurposing/trashed
1baby outfit, cut off patches for new baby quilt/ trashed the rest

929/2018

We’re in the middle of a purge. Sold a few pieces of furniture and other things and collecting up more to donate. Don’t have an item count but taken four Prius carloads of stuff just for donation. The biggest cleanout will be next spring, before we move. Hoping to get down to 5,000 pounds of HHGs.

Yesterday I was able to get rid of more misc items from the house.
The more that I get rid of the more I seem to find and say why do I have this? or Where did this come from?

7/5

1 portable CD player - donated
8 packages of elastic launch glider rubber bands - to son’s house
3 rolls of Lego tape - to son’s house
2 cell phones - robotics center
2 cell phone chargers - robotics center
1 20 ft phone extension cable - donated
1 5 ft phone extension cable - donated
5 phone jack 2 way splitter - donated
1 phone jack 3 way splitter - donated
2 usb patch cords - donated
1 3 ft ethernet cable - donated
1 digital step counter - donated
1 clipboard - donated
1 cordless mouse (missing the usb attachment) - recycled
1 bag of misc screws and hardware (been sitting in a box for 5+ years) - trashed
28 pins - donated
10 ink cartridges - recycled (staples only takes 10 per month to put towards rewards)

69 items left the house

1225 items of 2018 or 60.70% of goal

Today I was able to get rid of a bunch of stuff that has been hanging around for a long time. I rebuilt the flower beds with material on hand and cleaned up a section of the yard in the process. This completed project will now allow me to complete the next outdoor project (scraping and painting the tool shed)

7/6

8 cement blocks - used up to level base of flower bed
15 Landscaping timbers - used up to build flower bed
4 landscaping timbers - given away
28 cement blocks - given away
8 red bricks - given away
4 piece of 18” rebar - used up flower bed
1 roll of weed barrier fabric - used up
2 bags of ceder red mulch

70 items left the house

1295 items of 2018 or 64.17% of goal

@comicguy - You are on a roll! I had to laugh about the other posters comment about sending things to your son's house - I was thinking the same thing! I'm glad he wants the stuff you're sending his way.

Do you feel like you're actually making progress?

I've been doing a little bit, but not much has left the house per se. The consignment sale isn't until September or October and I have to drop a few things off at Savers.

@comicguy - You are on a roll! I had to laugh about the other posters comment about sending things to your son's house - I was thinking the same thing! I'm glad he wants the stuff you're sending his way.

Do you feel like you're actually making progress?

I've been doing a little bit, but not much has left the house per se. The consignment sale isn't until September or October and I have to drop a few things off at Savers.

I know that amount of stuff that he has hauled to his house has helped greatly with my decluttering efforts. I just send a message to him while he is at work and ask if he wants such and such item(s) and he tells me yes or np. Then stops by after work and picks up his items stuff that he wants.

@christineinvegas I feel like I am making really good progress but I have only a limited amount of time to get things done this summer as I have a week long conference I am going to, 3 on-line classes that I am taking, and a 12 night trip to WDW! So busting my rear end now to get as many projects done as I can before it is time to get back in the classroom in September!

Last edited:
Yesterday was a much slower, relaxing day. I did get rid of a few things just the same.

I feel like we are making a real difference now and starting to see tangible results:woohoo::woohoo:
7/8

1 pile of event stickers (outdated) - trashed
2 rolling/folding tables - given away
14 pieces of used trim work - trashed
2 curtain rods - trashed
1 laptop (pulled hard drive) - recycled

20 items left the house

1315 items of 2018 or 65.16% of goal

Not much happened yesterday but was able to thin out a few things

7/8

8 expired items from freezer/fridge/pantry - trashed

8 items left the house

1323 items of 2018 or 65.55% of goal

I threw away 2 pairs of sandals and an 11 x 11 bin of misc crap my hoarder 7 year old daughter had with her toys.

My brother is coming out in 2 weeks, giving us last minute notice. So I had to move all of my things for the consignment sale BACK into the room from which it came, and will have to re-sort it again after he leaves. o_O

1 towel trashed
1 picture that was so ugly-trashed
I deleted a picture of me sleeping on the plane that my husband took-does that count.
My husband fixed a bench I bought at Target. It literally shredding apart on the seat part. He took good lumber and rebuilt it for me. So I threw away the bad pressed paper wood.
Cleaned the refrigerator-old food-at least 10 items.
950/2018

This is stuff that he actually wants. A lot of it has been sitting here since he and the fiance moved into their house last summer. Now that things have settled down and they are comfortable he has been taking some of his old stuff to their home!!! His old bedroom here is empty except for his "good" clothes that is still hanging in the closet. Of course the spare room is still another story!!:rolleyes1:rolleyes1:rolleyes1

I used to have to lock my car doors whenever I visited my parents. Their favorite way of destashing was to hide all their unwanted stuff in my trunk. It wasn't even my stuff, just random things they didn't want.

I've been painting my kitchen cabinets inside and out - got rid of a lot of junk drawer items over the weekend.

Dh and Dbil took a truck load of stuff to the dump on Saturday - more of the previous homeowners leftovers. The metal pickers that hang around on the weekends more than happy to take a lot of it.

Today I did projects around the house, so I was able to use up some supplies that were on hand :cool1:

7/11

1 sanding sponge - used up
1 tube of caulking - used up
1 partial can of primer - used up
1 paint stirrer - used up
1 paint roller - used up
3 paint brushes - used up

8 items left the house

1331 items of 2018 or 65.95% of goal

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!