Destash 2018 Bust the Dust

Since it's the Dis... what do you do with Disney movies on VHS? I have VCR here, not hooked up to anything, and I can admit I haven't watched any of these in YEARS. However, I can't bring myself to get rid of them, as they are all my favorite movies. Some I have on DVD now, but not all, and I know the library won't take VHS tapes for donations anymore. Anyone else handled this one?

Funny you asked this, I’ve been struggling with the same thing. We’re doing some remodeling & I need to empty several cupboards. We have so many Disney vhs tapes, it kind of seems like a sacrilege to just throw them out. There are thousands for sale on EBay, so I guess we’re not alone in not wanting to just throw them out, lol. Mine will be going in the trash either this week or next.

Re: VHS movies-I thanked them for all the good times and memories. Packed them up and out they went.

Took a tote full of baby boy clothes to St. Vincent-100 pieces
Trashed 2 pair of tennis shoes
Sold 1 California King size bed on a Buy/Sell and Trade Board on Face Book
The nozzle to our hose busted-trashed.

1233/2018

Got rid of a few more things yesterday after work

1 poster - recycled
1 printer - recycled
1 pair pants - donated
2 T-shirts - donated
7 pairs of shorts - donated
1 box of really old mothballs - trashed

13 items left the house

1598 items of 2018 or 79.18% of goal

One dress recycled for quilting.
4 boxes recycled
1 pet toy thrown out
Bags of clothes to goodwill-98 shirts, men’s shirts, sweaters
2 pair of shoes to Goodwill
3 shirts trashed
1342/2018

Last edited:
Garage cleaning spree this week! I was determined to be able to park my car in it by tonight.

2- garbage cans full of trash or stuff too beat up to donate
4 - boxes of donations
1 - container of pool chemicals (still trying to figure out what to do with that)
LOTS of items repacked and put away on new shelves

Going to sweep tonight and be thrilled to pull the car in.

Got rid of a few more items yesterday after work

1 dead sharpie - trashed
2 Robotix Kits - donated to school
1 winter jacket - donated
19 Ball caps - donated
7 T-shirts - donated
1 Book on CD - donated

31 items left the house

1629 items of 2018 or 80.72% of goal

Last edited:

A few more things left the house yesterday!!

1 Dry Erase Board (small) - hung up inside kitchen cupboard
2 expired boxes of candy canes - trashed
1 grocery bag of clipped wires, broken circuit boards, etc.. - recycled
2 hex keys - returned to robotics center
2 HDMI cords - to son’s house
1 bag of assorted personal paperwork - burned
3 patch cords - recycled
1 dead USB battery pack - recycled
2 desktop Power Cords - recycled
1 Poster - to son’s house
8 yearbooks - to son’s house
4 large boxes of who knows what (that son has been storing here!) - to son’s house

28 items left the house

1657 items of 2018 or 82.11% of goal

A few more things left the house yesterday!!

1 Dry Erase Board (small) - hung up inside kitchen cupboard
2 expired boxes of candy canes - trashed
1 grocery bag of clipped wires, broken circuit boards, etc.. - recycled
2 hex keys - returned to robotics center
2 HDMI cords - to son’s house
1 bag of assorted personal paperwork - burned
3 patch cords - recycled
1 dead USB battery pack - recycled
2 desktop Power Cords - recycled
1 Poster - to son’s house
8 yearbooks - to son’s house
4 large boxes of who knows what (that son has been storing here!) - to son’s house

28 items left the house

1657 items of 2018 or 82.11% of goal
Your son has to love you when you visit or he visits.

2 leather jackets taken to sons house
1winter coat taken to sons house
2suits taken to sons house
1 garden gnome trashed
2 under garments trashed
2 flower bushes trashed

1352/2018

I sold 197 items in the fall consignment sale. Also threw away a couple dozen pieces of clothing that were too stained to sell, and donated about a dozen pieces that were neither here nor there.

We are going on vacation starting this weekend and when we get back it's time to get situated for the holidays and get ready for the spring consignment sale.

Your son has to love you when you visit or he visits.

Good thing most of his stuff it now out of this house,:cool1: just a few odds and ends for him to still deal with. keep pushing him to either take his stuff or find a way to get rid of it as I need to get the room empty for a remodel :rotfl2: The upside he is learning to figure out what he needs vs. what he wants to store in his house (and it is a small house!)

1452/2018

My son and DIL came for a visit and I had him go thru all his clothes.
4 bags to St Vincent’s
1 plastic play gun trashed
1winter coat sold on website
3 boxes recycled
12 old dog toys
Basket that held dog toys

1500/2018

Last edited:
A bit of a slow week

1 cracked storage plastic container - recycled
2 pair of underwear - trashed
2 flip phones w/ chargers - recycled
2 dead pens - trashed

7 items left the house

1664 items of 2018 or 82.45% of goal

Switched out my daughter's summer clothes for fall/winter & did a major purge. 2 boxes of clothing & 1 basket of shoes set aside to take to my sister for her girls, 1 tub set aside for spring consignment, and a trash bag full of clothes trashed (not worth trying to salvage).

Went through my closet - anything I didn't wear over the summer or last winter was purged. 15-20 tops and a few pairs of pants and shorts. Also 4 pairs of shoes between DH and me. All will be donated.

Cleaned the garage a little. Got rid of 2 partial 5-gallon buckets of paint - gave to a neighbor for a project. Have set aside things to donate: small cooler, coat rack, tabletop grill, old car floor mats (in good shape, just don't have the car any longer), and 2 cabinet doors. Threw away some boxes from small electronics (I keep until the mfr's warranty is up), a pool float that I'm pretty sure has a hole in it, and some other random items. Still more to go in the garage, but it's a decent start.

43 more items left the house!!!

Trash
Towel
2 pairs running shoes
Flip flops
Tupperware
2 quarts oil

Sold
GPS watch
Home theater receiver/speaker system

Given to friends
2 pairs pants
4 pairs shoes

Donated
4 pairs pants
pair shorts
t-shirt
3 purses
cake pan
serving bowl
2 gravy boats
8 cookie cutters
fry pan
bread pan
serving plate
4 glasses

294 items left the house - 1,724 to go!

Donated: 8 pairs of shoes, 4 shirts, 2 bags

Thrown out: 1 pair of shoes, 1 customized shirt with my name (it'd be weird to see it around town)

Another slow week of decluttering

1 book on CD - donated
1 cardboard box - recycled
1 dry erase marker - trashed
27 cans of Diet Pepsi left over from son’s wedding - brought to work for luncheon
12 cans of Mountain Dew left over from son’s wedding - brought to work for luncheon

42 items left the house

1706 items of 2018 or 84.53% of goal

We downsized from a 2400 sq. foot home to a 1250 sq. foot home. From NH to FL. When we got here, we got rid of half of our clothing and then another half again recently. FL is very casual My DH works from home and wears sorts and a tee shirt all the time. When we got out, he wears a button down. My new rule is that if I buy something, I get rid of something.

We downsized from a 2400 sq. foot home to a 1250 sq. foot home. From NH to FL. When we got here, we got rid of half of our clothing and then another half again recently. FL is very casual My DH works from home and wears sorts and a tee shirt all the time. When we got out, he wears a button down. My new rule is that if I buy something, I get rid of something.
We just moved our dd and her husband from Beford NH back to Wisconsin. They sold a ton of their belongings, because they did not want the expense to move it back. They took over 10 bags to various places for donation. They both loved the area-so much to do, but they both missed family too much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter