Destash 2019 Time to Trash the Stash!

We just keep our vacuum in the corner of our bedroom since there is no good place to store it.

Well that makes me feel better.

My cannister (used for the tile) literally sits in the eat-in dining/kitchen area because I have three parakeets who molt like crazy.

The upright (for carpet) is sitting in the hallway where a coat closet SHOULD be

And I have another little cannister in the master closet

:o

is there something with newer construction that has eliminated coat closets? i'm thinking about it now and several of the homes i've been in that have been built in the last 8 or so years don't have them. i think with the ones i'm thinking of that maybe it's b/c they have attached garages that enter the home through the laundry room they figure people will largely use the closets there (we have useless coat closet in the laundry room but still have a 'normal' one at the entry).

is there something with newer construction that has eliminated coat closets? i'm thinking about it now and several of the homes i've been in that have been built in the last 8 or so years don't have them. i think with the ones i'm thinking of that maybe it's b/c they have attached garages that enter the home through the laundry room they figure people will largely use the closets there (we have useless coat closet in the laundry room but still have a 'normal' one at the entry).
It's entirely possible. My house was new construction 6 years ago. I haven't looked at many model homes recently and I honestly don't remember whether the others in my area had a coat closet. My sister bought in the same "collection" but a different floor plan. Hers is a two story and it has an understairs closet that I believe had a bar for hanging things... but I could not tell you about the other models.

We still have coat closets in new construction homes here. To be fair we also had snow in April so we still need them for people who come over most of the year.

Got rid of a bit more this week!!:cool1:

1 cookie container - returned to owner
2 event T-shirts - donated
2 belts - donated
1 duffel bag - donated
7 shirts - donated
2 shorts - donated
4 jackets - donated
11 dress shirts - donated
1 dress pants - donated
1 fabric bag - donated
3 place mats - donated
1 box of misc cheap greeting cards - donated
2 cans of cream corn - donated (not sure how I ended up with this!)
1 pair of pants - trashed
40 socks/bras/underwear - trashed
2 dead pens - trashed
1 3D filament sample pack (for color selection only) - recycled
4 boxes of DS’s stuff - he brought to his house
1 poster -DS brought to his house
1 Note pad - used up
6 Instructional cassettes - trashed

94 items left the house

542 of 500 or 108.4.% of goal

Last night I offered my sister a TV with a built in vhs player (that she bought for my kids years ago) for her grandson. And a whole bunch of vhs tapes- she said yes. Today while in town, DS and I dropped them off at her house. They was probably close to 90 tapes and I sent a lot of dvds too.
I gave her 12 music cd package to hand to a memory care unit.
And I pitched 3 cracked vhs, couple dvds and cassettes. I got rid of a unpainted vase thingy.
Still need to get an older tv and stand to my SIL.

Unfortunately my uncle passed away last week and I was in the midst of the family chaos. I've now got a bunch of his stuff to get rid of because no one in the family wanted to deal with it.

Condolences on your uncle and "me too" on dealing with other people's messes!!! My parents decided quite suddenly to chuck it all and do the full-time RV thing, so for the last month I've been digging out their place, sorting what we could yardsale, what we could donate, making seemingly endless runs to the dump... meanwhile the clutter at home has been using my absence to regroup and multiply, I swear!!!

On the upside, making H and the kids come by to help once or twice has been HUGELY effective in getting them all to cooperate with our own decluttering! My father is a packrat like his parents before him, and they were in that house for 18 years... so yeah, it was a lesson, alright! Now the yard sale is over, 2 vanloads (and I mean *PACKED*) have gone to charity, and I am in the final stages of sorting what is left, some of which will go to the local Senior Center yard sale and the rest will go the landfill. If no one in the family wanted it, no one at the yardsale wanted it, and I don't think the seniors can sell it either... well, that's 3 strikes, and I need my space back!!! (There is still roughly a closet's worth of "stuff" they have asked me to hold for them until October... some of it they are taking to donate to a church group when they go on retreat, some of it is heavier clothing for the fall, and some of it is stuff they aren't quite ready to say goodbye to yet... but will re-assess in October.)

Meanwhile, we HAVE made a tiny bit of progress on our OWN clutter in the last few days, and I'm happy to see this thread still alive and kicking! We went through an absolute TON of laundry and culled out things that the kids no longer fit/like/wear, but couldn't be bothered to dispose of, that was about 5 trashbags full, all told. My niece wants "hippie garlands (long shreds of random fabrics)" for her wedding in October, so I am sorting out old sheets from our linens to contribute to that cause. And just tonight, I *FINALLY* got started on the "scary room" that I have been avoiding for like... years...

Underneath all that "stuff," there is a (very small) home office with bookshelves, an old desktop computer, a printer, and a huge, gorgeous desk I used back in grad school 10 years ago... then my daughter's mental illness presented, and that room became the "stuff that is unsafe for her" room... THEN, even as we got better at keeping her safe, the room became "eh, just shove it in there and deal with it later..." And that's how it's been for a long, long time... but tonight I pulled out three bags of trash, a bag of stuff to shred, a big box of recycling, and more stuff for the senior center... since our trash cans are bulging from the laundry purge, chances are I'll try to get the rest of the trash out later today (since it's after midnight now) and then drive it to the dump with all the rest of my glamorous errands...

But, bottom line, very little of THEIR junk will be absorbed into OUR junk, it has been a HUGE motivation to purge our own stuff, and I am finally getting started on the worst room in the house!!!

A few more items have left the house, not as much as the last couple of weeks but still improvement!!

9 frames - donated
1 small travel acc bag - donated
1 box of misc greet carding - wife brought to work for her use
1 dead marker - trashed
1 pair of shorts - trashed
1 pair of pants - trashed
1 can of old spray paint - trashed
3 expired items from the pantry - trashed
4 expire items from the fridge - trashed
3 expired spices - trashed
1 pair of sneakers - trashed
1 exercise mat - donated
3 books on CD - donated
6 Mr. Potato heads - donated
2 robotics parts - sold on ebay

38 items left the house

580 of 500 or 116% of goal

Adding my stuff from June

Gave Away
Capris

Tossed
Dishrag
Perfume
Loofah
2 Pillows
Super Glue
4 Pillow Cases
Deck of Cards
2 Underwear
2 Pairs Socks

16 things left the house.
Total of 150 total items left the house. Goal of 400 this year, 250 to go.

We were able to get rid of a few more things as we were getting remodel for the remodeling of the upstairs this week

9 sweaters - donated
4 shorts - donated
3 pants - donated
1 swimsuit - donated
1 small strap pouch - donated
1 new floral foam block - donated
3 bags of shiny decorative stones - donated
1 gallon bag of K’nex - donated
1 small bag of wood balls - donated
3 DVD’s - donated
32 books - gave away to a friend who home schools (workbooks, etc…)
6 books - donated
2 sets of curtains - donated
2 sets of curtains - trashed
2 plastic spatulas (both finally broke, same day of course they were 20+ years old) - trashed
5 printer cables/cords - recycled
1 MP3 player (broken) - recycled
1 broken corded mouse - recycled
1 broken ethernet cable - recycled
2 computer cords - recycled
1 bottle of smelly lotion - trashed
3 expired eye drops - trashed
4 Pipe wrenches - Sold
3 folding yard chairs - DS took for his house
1 Yard Rake - DS took to his house
3 robot parts - returned to owner
42 6x6x6 foam block - sold

138 items left the house

718 of 500 or 143.6% of goal

DH finally started cleaning out all the 'tool areas' of our house. That includes 1/4 of the basement, a bag of tools in our front closet and 2 tool chests in the garage. IDK what we need like 500 razor blades for....:confused3 we easily have 2 - 3 of every tool. We were hoping to make progress on the bathroom demo portion of the remodel but considering we need tools for said demo this clean out needed to happen first!

1 blue power wheels truck given to a friend.
All packing material from playset bagged and stuffed into recycling bins for pickup.

While doing some major home renovations this week, I was able to use up some supplies that have been in my shed for a while and also sold a couple of things on ebay!

1 pair of shorts - trashed
1 pair of socks - trashed
1 stained plastic bowl - recycled
1 bubbles container - recycled
1 expired medicine - disposed of
2 DVD remotes to players we no longer have - recycled
5 cardboard boxes - used up for shipping
4 action figures - sold
4 robotics items - sold

8 face masks for demolition - used up
1 150ft roll of 12-2 cable - used up
1 partial roll of electrical tape - used up
6 circuit breakers - used up
6 outlets - used up
3 switches - used up
2 3 way switches - used up
1 ceiling box - used up
2 electrical outlet boxes - used up
1 partial box of 3inch drywall screws - used up
2 pair of work gloves - used up and trashed
12 items - returned to Lowes
5 lbs of drywall screws - used up
1 pack of shims - used up

67 items left the house

785 of 500 or 157% of goal

Got to use up a bunch of construction supplies this week that have been around the house for a while, sold a few items on ebay, starting to make some sense of this major rennovation project!

1 can of hairspray - trashed
2 ripped out reusable shopping bags - trashed
2 dead pens - trashed
3 cardboard boxes - used up for shipping ebay items
1 cardboard box - recycled
12 CFL bulbs - recycled
5 dull drill bits - recycled
4 computer cords - given to a friend
6 lego base plates - to DS’s house
17 New “AA” batteries - to robotics center
12 robotics items - sold
5 grocery bags of various paperwork - brought to local shred event

1 toilet - installed (1 year on hand)
1 sink/vanity - installed (1 year on hand)
1 sink faucet - installed (1 year on hand)
1 bathroom light/fan combo - installed (1 year on hand)
1 roll of mesh sheetrock tape - used up (1 year on hand)
1 packet of corner brackets - used up
1 partial package of white finishing nails - used up
2 hanging brackets - installed / used up

79 items left the house

864 of 500 or 172.8% of goal

Did the panty again. I keeping only 4 cook books. In the cereal spot in the back I found a open box with one serving left from 2017!
I emptied a rubber maid box storage container that Was in the pantry and I Decluttered two drawers that had the seldom used utensils into the rubber maid box. So I can find What I use daily in the drawers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter