Destin in September, or should I go with PCBeach?

SL6827

DIS Veteran
Was thinking about heading down to Destin for around three nights in either very late August or the middle of September. (if all is well and such) Just a trip for me and hubby. Probably like a Tuesday-Friday. Is the place packed during these times? Advice? Is PCBeach better or offers more than Destin? I really want to see the emerald colored water. Has the seaweed big a big problem there?

The area is pretty quiet that time of year. I go with a group of women every year second week of september, we often have the beech nearly to ourselves. As far as which city, all those towns run together, one is as good as another, PCB, Destin, Fort Walton, one flows into the next.

The area is pretty quiet that time of year. I go with a group of women every year second week of september, we often have the beech nearly to ourselves. As far as which city, all those towns run together, one is as good as another, PCB, Destin, Fort Walton, one flows into the next.
Ya, that is what I am talking about. Low crowds, and hopefully not an extreme party scene going on at the time. Well we will see. It would be my very first visit to Florida without going to Disney!

Wherever you choose, try to make as much as possible refundable. A big part of the reason that tourism in that area is low at that time of year is that those weeks are the peak of hurricane season.

Wherever you choose, try to make as much as possible refundable. A big part of the reason that tourism in that area is low at that time of year is that those weeks are the peak of hurricane season.
Right.

We have vacationed at PCB, Destin/Fort Walton, and Gulf Shores. Gulf Shores was my favorite of the 3, but between your two choices I personally would go with Destin. We did Destin and PCB both in September/October time frame and Destin just felt nicer to us.

IF we get to go and that is a big IF, I wouldn't need anything to fancy, it would only be for three nights. Something close to the beach though. And I have to have a wonderful cancellation policy. That will be a must for most anyone now I think.

I just booked our watercolor house for the summer and there were literally just a couple houses left to choose from. Demand is sky high right now. And, they haven’t changed the cancellation policies because of the virus. Still the same as every other year - 60 days. Maybe a better cancellation policy if you book directly with a hotel.

Its such an iffy trip. But that's ok. Maybe, maybe not. I will find something to book to hold just in case we do get to go.

Hello! I would book a hotel type place that has a good cancellation. You just never know about this nasty pandemic coming back, or the little possibility of a tropical storm. I would go in September! The water there can be just SO beautiful!!! But they can have problems with seaweed too. And, it comes and go. September is probably a good month for that. We have been to both. I like the Destin area better. Pompano Joes at Destin all the way. So nice there. I love to go to their web and look at the beach cam. The food at the Destin one was better than the one a Pier Park at Panama City last time we went. The fried gulf shrimp were perfect. It was cooked a bit to much at the other one at Panama City. But we have also stayed at Destin where seaweed moved in, and drove and found clearer water over at Panama City.

The big thing is what kind of place and trip are you wanting. What do you love to do. Destin is very nice. Definitely not the Panama City Spring Break tattoo parlor scene. But Pier Park area at Panama City is now very very nice!!! Love to visit there. DO NOT miss the ice cream at the Marble Stone at Pier Park. We got the Sweet Cream that is just cream and sugar with no vanilla with fresh diced banana and caramel and some chopped southern pecans and it was just OMG sinfully delicious. You have to try there if you go.

Mid September over August for sure, fewer people and cheaper prices. I prefer Destin as I think the beaches are nicer, but it is more expensive than PCB.

Ya, the seaweed would pose a problem. Just a few days for me and hubby at the beach, snorkeling and such.

Destin is like a 6.5 hour drive from our house. We usually like to go to Disney's Hilton Head and stay a couple nights there in the off season, but that ain't happening no time soon, so I thought I would change it up a bit, maybe Destin if we get to take a trip.

I seen the state park called Ponce de Leon on You Tube. Love that spring area you swim in. Wouldn't mind giving that a shot. But concerned about gators in it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter