DH and I Are Debating ... What Would You Do?

DiznEeyore

<font color=navy>Donkey-Huggin' DVC Member<br><fon
I'm really interested in the opinions of fellow DVC owners regarding a debate my hubby and I are having. We are planning a 15th anniversary trip next year (it will be our first trip in two years due to dh's job loss) and had originally planned to do 3 nights at the GF concierge and then several nights in a VWL studio, all on points.

Dh recently saw photos of the new concierge area at the WL and suggested "saving" our points for a trip with ds the following May ('07) and paying cash for 4 nights at the WL in a honeymoon room.

I feel guilty about the idea of spending money for a room when we could just use our points (albeit with a bit of borrowing from our '07 use year for that May trip), but he says it's something special we'll only do every 5 years or so (for anniversaries) and I shouldn't sweat the money.

The idea of an "all concierge" trip really sounds like fun, but my practical side says "Why bother? We could have a perfectly good room in the Villas and use that money to pay for our May '07 trip!"

Any opinions you'd care to share, one way or the other?? TIA!!!!

If you have the extra money, maybe consider it.

But if I have the points, I use them. That is what they are for. After buying into DVC, I just cant' see paying several hundreds of dollars a night for almost the same room in the same resort.

My $'s and points go further when I don't spend them in a hurry and on the spur of the moment. I always give it a second thought

I shouldn't even be offering an opinion probably since I've not ever stayed in a concierge level, but did you consider forgoing GF and using the points to upgrade to a one-bedroom (with the hot tub) instead? VWL does have room service. ;)

You both have made very good points! I'll be sharing them with dh tonight. ;)

I'm now considering doing a "regular" room at the GF (lagoon view maybe) and then switching over to VWL. Dh doesn't want to "just" do VWL because in his words, "We can do that anytime. I want this trip to be special."

Of course, this is the man whose normal opinion is, "I don't care where we stay, I just like being on vacation with you." :rolleyes: All of the sudden (now that his beloved WL has a cool new concierge lounge), he CARES! LOL!!!

Hmmm ... maybe I'll suggest a few nights at WL concierge for his 40th b-day trip if he agrees to forgo it this time .... :scratchin

Perhaps you can compromise by upgrading to a one bedroom (lots of bubble bath and champagne for the jacuzzi) and using the saved money for dinner at Victoria and Alberts....You could also make memories special by doing the WIshes or Illuminations cruise, taking a tour (segway , maybe Dolphin encounter) , going to La Nouba.....stuff like that.

Concierge is almost more fun with a group: eating breakfast together, cocktails and munchies and good converstation. As a couple, concierge doen't do all that much for me..at least not as much as doing some special events/dinners/tours.

Great point!!! you might want to utilize more room service on a special anniversary trip than the concierge lounge anyway.

Have a nice trip!!
Flo

What would I do? Hmmmmmmmmmm!

You and your husband will only have 1 15yr anniversary!

I say, GO FOR IT!!!

Make beautiful memories,
Tom

I agree with Tom. Only one 15 yr anniversary, which is a rare instance in this day and age. Go for GF and enjoy. You can always do concierge at WL with your DS anytime. Make this one special. ::MickeyMo ::MickeyMo

I'd say go for it if it is a special occasion. DH & I did Victoria & Albert's for his 45th birthday...he's a "food-ophile" and enjoyed the heck out of it. We were all set to pay for it, and when we got the bill, we found out that his 3 sisters had chipped in and pre-paid it for him for his birthday present!!!!!! Needless to say, it was a lovely and much-appreciated gift.

As a secondary suggestion, if the GF concierge is more ex*****ve than the WL concierge, and the WL is DH's favorite resort, and you would be content to stay in the WL, why not look into if the WL concierge is less expensive than the GF concierge, and if so, do the whole trip in the WL concierge. You'll have the concierge experience in the resort DH loves, you'll be saving a bit of money if you don't do the GF concierge, and you'll have your points for next year's trip!!!

Everybody wins!!!!!!!!!!! :banana:

PS-If you do the GF concierge and the WLV studio, do the studio first. We always stay in the "lesser" room first if we split a stay and then you have the really nice thing to look forward to!!!!!

Thanks for all the opinions and good advice. I've shared them with dh and we're looking at our options. :) I think right now we're leaning towards GF for the anniversary trip and then WL Concierge for dh's 40th b-day trip when we bring ds with us. :)

Thanks again for the input!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter