DH got job at Yellowstone!

rangermom

DIS Veteran
DH just got offered a job in Yellowstone as a seasonal Park Ranger at Old Faithful. :banana: Since I work at Big Bend National Park as a permanent employee, the kids and I are staying here. We will be going to visit DH the 1st week in June. Any suggestions? I am really excited. DH and I have never been there.

bring insect repellent ... the mosquitoes are quite hungry after their long winter nap.

Lamar Valley is awesome, and not as heavily visited as the rest of the park. We loved that area.

Thanks for the info. We will probably be there for 1.5 weeks. It is a two day drive for us and I will eventually have to get back to work. I do plan to go Grand Teton, we will probably do that on DH's days off. I am really excited about it. He will have a 1 bedroom apartment (I was worried he would have a dorm room like he had a Fire Island NS) so we should be fine with the three kids.

I am trying to plan specific areas in the park that we want to visit. Obviously he will be working in the Old Faithful district, so we will see that. I plan on going to Mammoth Hot Springs at some point since we have friends there. Thanks for the website.

What time of year would you recommend visiting Big Bend? (I don't want to repeat Death Valley in early September!)
Roughly, how far is it from San Antonio?

We are definitely a winter park. I would recommend coming Oct-April. May is our hottest month (even though we are hot all summer). We usually have mild winters, with only a few snow events. Our weather can be really strange and unpredictable. Last week we reached 100 degrees near the river and the mid 90's throughout the rest of the park. (and that is February:scared1: ). To be fair we are not as hot as Death Valley, we usually max out at 116 on a few days in the summer.

I would try to avoid Thanksgiving , Christmas, and Spring Break holidays. The lodge, three campgrounds and the backcountry campsites fill.

We are about 7.5 hrs from San Antonio. If you are interested in flying most people go through Midland (3.5 h) and El Paso (5 h).

Thanks for the info. I asked about San Antonio for two reasons - 1, I want to visit there too and 2 SW now flies n/s from PHL. I'm certain that there are sights to see along those 7 1/2 hours.

I'm so jealous!

as we tour the national parks.. I always think to myself.. I could SO be a park ranger.. how much fun!

Thanks for the info. I asked about San Antonio for two reasons - 1, I want to visit there too and 2 SW now flies n/s from PHL. I'm certain that there are sights to see along those 7 1/2 hours.

To be honest,there isn't too much to see along the way except flat land. It is a beautiful area to visit once you get out there.

Yellowstone is my favorite park, I'm so happy you are going for a visit and your husband will be working there.

Tell him to get used to being asked why are the little orange dogs following the buffalo:rotfl:

There are several books I've bought at Yellowstone that you can buy online, or maybe even find in a library.

I have volumes 1 &2 of The Yellowstone Story.
Roadside History of Yellowstone Park
Yellowstone Place Names and Death in Yellowstone by Lee Whittlesey,
who was the park historian last time I was there.

The last two are the most interesting.

I agree with another poster who said Lamar Valley was very nice.
In the evening there are usually people pulled of the road to listen to the wolves. Once you hear them, you'll never forget it:)

This is the website for the Yellowstone Association...
http://www.yellowstoneassociation.org/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter