DHS QS - Would you rather....

chris benton

DIS Veteran
So, I'm trying to avoid QS at DHS, but I think I have to for the logistics of the day. Trip is coming up soon, and I am just getting the granular deets together.

AM EMH (Breakfast / snacks / Coffee in room. It's our M.O.)
Lunch at Hollyweird
Back to hotel for swimming / snacks
Star Wars Dessert party (and we intend to eat / drink every single penny's worth of the fee. Hope you're not going the night we are there - the tables will be scarce!)

Lunch is the issue. Trying to keep it mildly healthy and decently edible. So, would you rather...

Fairfax - Fajita platter (I worry it's a salt-laden mess like Pecos)
Backlot - Standard burger and fries, and be done with it.
Woody's Lunchbox - Smoked turkey sandwich sounds perfect, but I worry it's that fake turkey jello loaf so many places serve and call "Deli Turkey" for some reason.

Lunch is the issue. Trying to keep it mildly healthy and decently edible. So, would you rather...

Fairfax - Fajita platter (I worry it's a salt-laden mess like Pecos)
Backlot - Standard burger and fries, and be done with it.
Woody's Lunchbox - Smoked turkey sandwich sounds perfect, but I worry it's that fake turkey jello loaf so many places serve and call "Deli Turkey" for some reason.

We were there the week before last and even on a lower crowd day Toy Story Land was an insanely crowded bottleneck dead-end mess. We watched people holding trays of food trying to find tables back by the lunch box. You couldn't pay me to try to eat at Woody's right now, and I would like to try that 3 cheese sandwich on their menu.

We were there the week before last and even on a lower crowd day Toy Story Land was an insanely crowded bottleneck dead-end mess. We watched people holding trays of food trying to find tables back by the lunch box. You couldn't pay me to try to eat at Woody's right now, and I would like to try that 3 cheese sandwich on their menu.
Sounds like exactly not my scene.
I wonder if mobile ordering is a hot mess, too. If it's crazy, we'll avoid it. Thanks for the intel!

I would try HBD lounge but they don’t open until noom. That was too late for us (long story) so I got the cheese & charcuterie plate at Baseline Brewery. It is counter service & I carried it to ABC where the rest of my family ate.

To be honest, if you're that concerned about the food and want to eat healthy, you're better off buying some real deli meat (from garden grocer perhaps) and putting it in your fridge, and just making sandwiches in your room since you're taking a midday swim break anyway.

Where are you staying? Your resort food court might be a better option than anything at DHS. Otherwise, for "healthier" options there is a salad on the menu at both Fairfax Fare and Backlot. There is also a caprese sandwich at Backlot that is pretty decent.

We always like Backlot Express and usually end up there for lunch on our DHS days. I like that they have free drink refills.

Where are you staying? Your resort food court might be a better option than anything at DHS. Otherwise, for "healthier" options there is a salad on the menu at both Fairfax Fare and Backlot. There is also a caprese sandwich at Backlot that is pretty decent.

Well, the thing is, I don't think I can make that work. The resort food will be worlds better, but, lunch will be before we leave for the afternoon break by a decent amount of time. Trying to plan for an early lunch, since we'll be up early. We'll be ready for lunch early. We'll be just fine. Just pinging the crowd for ideas on the best thing at Hollyweird for our situation.

P.S. I just set up a res finder for 50's Prime Time, which, if I can snag one, just might be ok for the experience (never been.) I'm guessing it'd be a far cry from a smoked turkey sandwich, but I bet ds would get a kick out of it. If I can't snag a res, we'll be fine. Maybe we'll do a Mobile Order taste off of DHS qs. Backlot Caprese, Woody's Smoked Turkey, and something else.

I like to research food options a decent amount. I find that quality control at the world is haphazard at best. 14.99 at one place can be straight garbage, but a total bargain somewhere else.

P.S. I just set up a res finder for 50's Prime Time, which, if I can snag one, just might be ok for the experience (never been.) I'm guessing it'd be a far cry from a smoked turkey sandwich, but I bet ds would get a kick out of it. If I can't snag a res, we'll be fine. Maybe we'll do a Mobile Order taste off of DHS qs. Backlot Caprese, Woody's Smoked Turkey, and something else.

If you are thinking about TS-- we like Mama Melrose. The food is usually pretty good; we are usually seated by our actual ADR time; and it is usually fairly quick and also a nice quiet break. 50s Prime Time is a cute place and depending on your server can be a lot of fun- but we usually are seated well after our ADR (I think the shortest it has have been was about 20 minutes after our ADR time, and once we waited over an hour after our ADR time) and the food can be hit or miss. I think we have usually done dinner though, so maybe lunch is better in terms of them being on time in getting people seated.

If you are thinking about TS-- we like Mama Melrose. The food is usually pretty good; we are usually seated by our actual ADR time; and it is usually fairly quick and also a nice quiet break. 50s Prime Time is a cute place and depending on your server can be a lot of fun- but we usually are seated well after our ADR (I think the shortest it has have been was about 20 minutes after our ADR time, and once we waited over an hour after our ADR time) and the food can be hit or miss. I think we have usually done dinner though, so maybe lunch is better in terms of them being on time in getting people seated.

Yup - Melrose fan here as well. After hearing so many ppl say it was not the best, we tried it for a F! pkg, and we were definitely pleasantly surprised. We had to wait quite a while for our table there - probably 20 minutes, but whatever. I'm gonna gun for the earliest lunch seating as possible, so hopefully before any crowds.

Just got back from my trip. Got food poisoning from the salad at Backlot Express. That was lots of fun. Guests services was really nice and drove me back to my room because there was on way that I would make it back on the bus without having an accident. Only time ever in 2 decades that I have got food poisoning from Disney. On a different note, DHS counter service places need a big overhaul. Most of them have the same burger, strips thing going on.

Yes, I have ruled out the Commissary. Here's why:
Nothing on their menu on the wdw site looks interesting at all compared to any other QS place. And if I walk in there hungry, I'm getting the ribs, or the combo fish/shrimp chicken fried platter. My So's eyes would be rolling as soon as she saw the menu - with good reason. We're both trying not to be pooh sized, and the dessert party later on that night means we SHOULD try to eat better during the day. All bets are off during the dessert party.

We always end up at backlot express and find when we are trying to do "light" that splitting the chicken nuggets and fries was a good option due to the size and then the drinks are refillable.

Backlot Express has a nice California Chicken Club & a Galatic Salad... both extremely healthy options instead of hamburgers

Backlot Express is our go to CS at Hollywood. Avoid the burgers and get the Darkside Chicken and Waffles. We like it so much the girls often let me schedule a meal there just for the waffles and chicken.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter