DHS/Toy Story Land "Early Morning Magic" (EMM) FAQ & Discussion

Booked EMM at DHS on June 26 - cannot wait! Hoping to be able to RD RRC as soon as it's over although the comments about breakfast being picked over by 9:30 are worrisome! From the videos I have seen on this event, the hot breakfast choices look great! Fingers crossed for pixie dust!

OK: so right now, my post-EMM plan is to accomplish:
Star Tours
Breakfast

After the above three, use our 10:30 little mermaid FP (for the 10:50 show).

So, we'd like to be sitting down eating by 9:30. Is it possible to do jedi sign up and star tours by then?

Super stumped and trying to plan for my 50th on 8/7. Scored EMM tickets last night for all of my family on my birthday! Yay!!!! Couldn’t think of a better way to start the day. Here is my dilemma. I will want to be in Magic Kingdom for my birthday afternoon and evening. The kids really want to ride ToT and R&R before leaving the studios. Is it better for us to get those two rides right at 9 and make FP afternoon resi’s at the Kingdom? Or should we do our FP resi’s for those two rides at the end of the event, and just wing it in the afternoon? I’m thinking saving them for the MK, but wanted to see what type of experience you all may have with this quandary. Are the coaster and tower usually fairly easy at 9....and thanks in advance for helping in my birthday planning:)

Super stumped and trying to plan for my 50th on 8/7. Scored EMM tickets last night for all of my family on my birthday! Yay!!!! Couldn’t think of a better way to start the day. Here is my dilemma. I will want to be in Magic Kingdom for my birthday afternoon and evening. The kids really want to ride ToT and R&R before leaving the studios. Is it better for us to get those two rides right at 9 and make FP afternoon resi’s at the Kingdom? Or should we do our FP resi’s for those two rides at the end of the event, and just wing it in the afternoon? I’m thinking saving them for the MK, but wanted to see what type of experience you all may have with this quandary. Are the coaster and tower usually fairly easy at 9....and thanks in advance for helping in my birthday planning:)
When can you make FPs? On site, and if so, 60+?

Your problem will be ToT. It's being refurbed, and capacity is reduced by 50%. Unless your HS day is 60+3, at least, your chances of getting a morning ToT FP are slim to none, therefore, your decision would be made for you.

On the flip side, unless you hightail it out of TSL and beat the RD crowd to ToT, you're looking at a long wait. Normally, if you were the first to ride RnRC, you could still ride ToT with a short wait. Now, you're looking at longer wait by the time you get there. You could ride ToT first, but then you might have a wait at RnRC, as ToT is a longish ride experience (including pre-show). Also, beating the RD crowd out of TSL means you are most likely skipping a last ride or two in TSL.

The other question is when you planned on eating the EMM breakfast. If you rd ToT and RnRC, you may not make it back to Backlot in time for breakfast (again, this was a non-issue prior to the refurb). Some have made it back post refurb, but not by much. I think the timing would be iffy. Less people seem to be trying it, though, so it's hard to say.

Do you have another day at MK, to get the hard to get MK FP? Or, would this be your only chance to get 7D?

Assuming you can get a morning ToT fp, I would say do this:
1. Stay in TSL to the bitter end and ride as much as you can
2. RD Star Tours
3. Eat breakfast at backlot
4. Get FP for RnRC and ToT, with FP times of 9:45 and 10:45.
5. Use the 9:45 FP at 10:30, and you can get on the other right away without a wait.
6. Get your MK FP as soon as you scan your 2nd FP. Make it for noon.

When can you make FPs? On site, and if so, 60+?

Your problem will be ToT. It's being refurbed, and capacity is reduced by 50%. Unless your HS day is 60+3, at least, your chances of getting a morning ToT FP are slim to none, therefore, your decision would be made for you.

On the flip side, unless you hightail it out of TSL and beat the RD crowd to ToT, you're looking at a long wait. Normally, if you were the first to ride RnRC, you could still ride ToT with a short wait. Now, you're looking at longer wait by the time you get there. You could ride ToT first, but then you might have a wait at RnRC, as ToT is a longish ride experience (including pre-show). Also, beating the RD crowd out of TSL means you are most likely skipping a last ride or two in TSL.

The other question is when you planned on eating the EMM breakfast. If you rd ToT and RnRC, you may not make it back to Backlot in time for breakfast (again, this was a non-issue prior to the refurb). Some have made it back post refurb, but not by much. I think the timing would be iffy. Less people seem to be trying it, though, so it's hard to say.

Do you have another day at MK, to get the hard to get MK FP? Or, would this be your only chance to get 7D?

Assuming you can get a morning ToT fp, I would say do this:
1. Stay in TSL to the bitter end and ride as much as you can
2. RD Star Tours
3. Eat breakfast at backlot
4. Get FP for RnRC and ToT, with FP times of 9:45 and 10:45.
5. Use the 9:45 FP at 10:30, and you can get on the other right away without a wait.
6. Get your MK FP as soon as you scan your 2nd FP. Make it for noon.
Sounds perfect! Thank you for putting together what I just couldn’t get my mind to wrap around:)

We did EMM in April with every intent of park hopping to Magic Kingdom shortly afterwards since we had a Hollywood Studios day (actually 1/2 day) later in our week.
I think it's wiser to book fastpasses for MK to ensure you get the time slots and rides you want and roll the dice on being able to walk on ToT (which sounds like it could be trickier when you're going) or Star Tours (which should be no problem at all and is really near the Backlot for breakfast).

We actually screwed up and didn't get there until 7:30am so didn't really get into TSL until maybe 7:40am.
All the same we did:
Slinky x 3 (the last of which was right after ride #2 and going right back in line again before rope drop crowd got there)
Swirling Saucers x 2 (or 3..don't recall)
Toy Story Midway Mania x 2

We then snuck in a Star Tours shortly after 9am as a walk on and then went to Backlot for breakfast (worth noting it's basically all your can eat. You can order several of each dish and have a mini buffet)
They closed down the breakfast buffet area as we finished eating but no one was asking anyone to leave the spot.
(Truthfully you may even be able to walk on Star Tours at that time too as it tends to get busier later in the morning and afternoon when people want out of the sun. The turn around is quick on that ride.)
We then park hopped and easily made our 10:30 fastpass for Seven Dwarves.

The way we viewed it was that the EMM saved us from having to worry about getting any fastpasses for it on our proper Hollywood Studio day (although we actually did get Midway Mania again because our family *really* digs that ride *and* did a park opening walk on for Slinky which was only about 45 minutes. Yeah..we loved Slinky *that* much).

In my opinion the BEST way to use EMM is to TSL until 9am
*Maybe* sneak ahead of the rope drop crowd for another ride like Star Tours or Tower of Terror
Have breakfast at Backlot 9:30-ish but grab several plates. Don't be shy..they won't turn you down.
Park hop to another park entirely after 10am.

Then have a split park hop day on some other day with Hollywood Studios and some other park since Hollywood Studios likely won't fill a whole day for you if you have no need for TSL (we wound splitting HWS with Animal Kingdom that day and Magic Kingdom for the fireworks that night)

ex

Sounds perfect! Thank you for putting together what I just couldn’t get my mind to wrap around:)

Last edited:
We are planning to do this at end of the August. We are planning to stay Copper Creek/Wilderness Lodge this time. I am wondering the Disney bus is reliable to get on time for this event as it is early for normal park hr. (I used Mears cab last time) Is there any official info as when the bus starts running for this event?

Thanks for your advice!

We did EMM in April with every intent of park hopping to Magic Kingdom shortly afterwards since we had a Hollywood Studios day (actually 1/2 day) later in our week.
I think it's wiser to book fastpasses for MK to ensure you get the time slots and rides you want and roll the dice on being able to walk on ToT (which sounds like it could be trickier when you're going) or Star Tours (which should be no problem at all and is really near the Backlot for breakfast).

We actually screwed up and didn't get there until 7:30am so didn't really get into TSL until maybe 7:40am.
All the same we did:
Slinky x 3 (the last of which was right after ride #2 and going right back in line again before rope drop crowd got there)
Swirling Saucers x 2 (or 3..don't recall)
Toy Story Midway Mania x 2

We then snuck in a Star Tours shortly after 9am as a walk on and then went to Backlot for breakfast (worth noting it's basically all your can eat. You can order several of each dish and have a mini buffet)
They closed down the breakfast buffet area as we finished eating but no one was asking anyone to leave the spot.
(Truthfully you may even be able to walk on Star Tours at that time too as it tends to get busier later in the morning and afternoon when people want out of the sun. The turn around is quick on that ride.)
We then park hopped and easily made our 10:30 fastpass for Seven Dwarves.

The way we viewed it was that the EMM saved us from having to worry about getting any fastpasses for it on our proper Hollywood Studio day (although we actually did get Midway Mania again because our family *really* digs that ride *and* did a park opening walk on for Slinky which was only about 45 minutes. Yeah..we loved Slinky *that* much).

In my opinion the BEST way to use EMM is to TSL until 9am
*Maybe* sneak ahead of the rope drop crowd for another ride like Star Tours or Tower of Terror
Have breakfast at Backlot 9:30-ish but grab several plates. Don't be shy..they won't turn you down.
Park hop to another park entirely after 10am.

Then have a split park hop day on some other day with Hollywood Studios and some other park since Hollywood Studios likely won't fill a whole day for you if you have no need for TSL (we wound splitting HWS with Animal Kingdom that day and Magic Kingdom for the fireworks that night)

ex
Good points! Having a gut feeling that it may be nearly impossible to get that early ToT FP. It is encouraging to hear how easy it was to make use of the EMM time, get a good meal in, and make it to the MK in good time. It’s one of those things where I don’t want to be too rushed, so pacing is a super good thing.

Thinking we may end up lurking over by ToT close to rope drop to see what the wait will be....not feeling too encouraged on the HS FP availability. So, it will probably end up being a MK FP day, and that is never a bad thing. The Toy Story Land attractions are my favorite ones at HS , so no matter what, it will be a great day:)

We are planning to do this at end of the August. We are planning to stay Copper Creek/Wilderness Lodge this time. I am wondering the Disney bus is reliable to get on time for this event as it is early for normal park hr. (I used Mears cab last time) Is there any official info as when the bus starts running for this event?

Thanks for your advice!
I’ll be doing my EMM at the beginning of August from Wilderness Lodge, and am wondering the same thing. Hoping that the busses start early enough that day (fingers crossed)

Thanks for your advice!

I’ll be doing my EMM at the beginning of August from Wilderness Lodge, and am wondering the same thing. Hoping that the busses start early enough that day (fingers crossed)

We went from WL in February and had no problem getting onto a bus super early. I'm sorry I can't remember what time it was, but I remember it being very easy and they were running to HS early enough that we didn't feel any stress at all! We were nervous before we did it but my mom was in an ECV so using Lyft wasn't a reasonable option but we're glad we went to Disney Transportation! We caught the first bus, and there was another family waiting with us. There was a second bus, according to the bus arrival board, on the way as well.

I booked DHS FPs just in case but planned to hop to MK. We only ended up using one and I was able to grab same day FPs for Mine Train and Big Thunder on the boat for DHS to our hotel (we swam for a bit around lunch then headed to MK). This was a week ago.

You could ride ToT first, but then you might have a wait at RnRC, as ToT is a longish ride experience (including pre-show). Also, beating the RD crowd out of TSL means you are most likely skipping a last ride or two in TSL.

We are doing this EMM in 2 weeks (5/27). Our FP are at Epcot and we are hopping after breakfast. Original plan was RnRC and then ToT and then breakfast, but I am not confident that would work at this point. So, our plan now is to do Tower of terror and then head to breakfast, and skip the roller coaster. In the extremely unlikely event that we finish tower of terror and it is early enough and there is a short line at rock N roller coaster, we would do that before breakfast, but I seriously doubt that would work.

Regardless, my point in this post is that we will report back on here and let you know the timing and how that worked.

We went from WL in February and had no problem getting onto a bus super early. I'm sorry I can't remember what time it was, but I remember it being very easy and they were running to HS early enough that we didn't feel any stress at all! We were nervous before we did it but my mom was in an ECV so using Lyft wasn't a reasonable option but we're glad we went to Disney Transportation! We caught the first bus, and there was another family waiting with us. There was a second bus, according to the bus arrival board, on the way as well.
Thank you and also reassured me about something I didn’t even think about. I use an ecv, so Lyft wouldn’t work for me either. Thanks for the reassurance on no stress:)

I booked DHS FPs just in case but planned to hop to MK. We only ended up using one and I was able to grab same day FPs for Mine Train and Big Thunder on the boat for DHS to our hotel (we swam for a bit around lunch then headed to MK). This was a week ago.
Wow! You got super lucky on those same day passes:)

We are doing this EMM in 2 weeks (5/27). Our FP are at Epcot and we are hopping after breakfast. Original plan was RnRC and then ToT and then breakfast, but I am not confident that would work at this point. So, our plan now is to do Tower of terror and then head to breakfast, and skip the roller coaster. In the extremely unlikely event that we finish tower of terror and it is early enough and there is a short line at rock N roller coaster, we would do that before breakfast, but I seriously doubt that would work.

Regardless, my point in this post is that we will report back on here and let you know the timing and how that worked.
Please do! Sounds like we have a similar thought of planning now going into this. Fingers crossed you at least get on ToT....and have a great time:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter