DHS/Toy Story Land "Early Morning Magic" (EMM) FAQ & Discussion

I have this planned for two days during our trip...however, really TOT is our favorite.

Is it possible to leave Toy Story Land and get to TOT before the masses? a 90 minute at rope drop..that just really sucks. What time would we need to leave?
My boys are not big fans of ToT, so that wasn't really in our plans, but I have heard of others that try to do just what you are thinking. In my opinion you would need to leave TSL by 8:40 to get back towards Hollywood Boulevard to make sure you were ahead of the rope drop crowd there. and even then, I am nto sure how far you will get. I noticed cast members on the way in to the EMM that appeared to be blocking off Sunset Blvd. That being said, I cannot confirm that they were still doing that later on. In our case, we would have had to give up at least one, maybe two, rides on Slinky to leave in time to get over there. Up to you whether that is worth it. Doing it for two days, it may very well be worth a shot on one of them.

My boys are not big fans of ToT, so that wasn't really in our plans, but I have heard of others that try to do just what you are thinking. In my opinion you would need to leave TSL by 8:40 to get back towards Hollywood Boulevard to make sure you were ahead of the rope drop crowd there. and even then, I am nto sure how far you will get. I noticed cast members on the way in to the EMM that appeared to be blocking off Sunset Blvd. That being said, I cannot confirm that they were still doing that later on. In our case, we would have had to give up at least one, maybe two, rides on Slinky to leave in time to get over there. Up to you whether that is worth it. Doing it for two days, it may very well be worth a shot on one of them.

Thanks for your response. I'll keep following reviews to see how others fare. Leaving so early seems like a waste of money. I may have to make my gang decide...rope drop TOT or 2nd EMM...not both.

Any updates from todays emm? I was watching wait times and the longest I saw sdd was 20 minutes and that was at 7:30. It dropped to 10 minutes later.

We went this morning (5 adults). Left Pop at 6:30 a.m. arrived at HS gate in about 10 minutes. Got our wrist bands and menu/info sheet and were in the park at 6:45. We opted to skip the partial breakfast method and instead were about 10 people back in the arch “smoosh”. Some folks had formed a single file line and the CM instructed us to all fill in by all the arches. Not sure those folks were too happy with that. They walked us back to TSL right at 7:30 a.m. which seemed kinda late as the event is supposed to start then and go to 8:45 a.m. per the handout (for some reason I thought it went until 9:00). The stroller folks were very determined.... anyway, despite purposeful walking we wound up quite a bit further back and just followed the herd onto SDD. This was our first time ever in TSL! We loved SDD! From the arches to done with first SDD 7:30 - 7:41 a.m. We went right back in line and got on our second ride on at 7:54 a.m. Went to TSMM. As many have said, looooong walk thru the building. Very, very slow loading. If they have more than one track, they weren’t using it that we could see. Waited probably 15 minutes in all which seemed crazy. Decided to skip riding it again because of what seemed like a long wait. Headed over to ASsaucers. Walk on. Cute, very short ride. Decided to do SDD again. Rode twice in about 12 minutes total. Party of five seemed to work well when they split parties odd/even, although we got the front every time! Was hoping for back or middle at least once. But no matter, still a lot of fun and an epic view of Galaxy’s Edge. It was now about 8:45 and we wanted to ride ToT before breakfast so we left TSL...(should have stayed!) and were right at the beginning of the group being held on Sunset near where Starring Rolls used to be. Waited until 9:00 a.m. and were walked back down Sunset. When we reached ToT we were told it was down and they had no idea when it would be up. Would have been nice to know that at 8:45 a.m. when we joined the rope drop for it! Oh well. Things happen. We decided we’d head to breakfast instead and winded our way thru the 9:00 a.m. crowds to Back Lot Express. Very nice CMs abounded here! Walked up and ordered tons of food! I thought the shrimp and grits was delicious, Chilaquiles also delicious! Chicken and donuts were fine, not our favorite, though my DDs liked the sweet potato tots. Avocado toast was rather like guac and toast, but it was also enjoyed. Plenty of pastries out as well and yogurt parfait fixings, cereals and milk, juices, coffee, soft drinks. Plenty of seating. All refilled often, but we were eating around 9:10 a.m. We sat around until 10:00 and at that time they swiftly wrapped things up. We were not interested in meeting characters in TSL, but I did notice at 8:45 a.m. there were about 15 people total in line for Woody and Jesse and maybe 5 total for Buzz.

Overall, totally worth it! Even with the TSMM wait and the frustration at ToT... It’s been wicked hot out these past couple days, so being in and out of TSL early was a blessing and we thought breakfast was really good too.

My first post! But this thread was so helpful to me, so I’ll chime in.

We went this morning. My husband, me, and my five “kids,” ages 15-23. We took the bus from Beach Club at 6:55 & arrived at the HS gate by 7:05. Made our way to wait by the the holding place. We stayed to the right, as was suggested. They didn’t let is in until 7:30. We made our way to SDD & was on the 3rd train. Off by 7:40. We ride Aliens once & TSMM once. After a potty break, we went back to SDD & rode it two more times with less than a 10 minute wait for each ride.

We decided to ride TSMM one more time. As we were near the loading area, they started unloading people & advised us to go do something else because the ride was down. It was 8:45 by then. We then decided to go to ToT. We had FP at 3:25, but we were trying to knock it out earlier. Terrible decision. It was craziness once the main park goers got into the park. I was tripped up by a stroller on purpose, and as stated by another poster, they waited to tell us the ride was down once we got to the ride.

We gave up & went to the yummy breakfast & rested.

Overall, a great experience. We could’ve ridden SDD four times, if we had not gone to TSMM after our third trip.

I would do MNSSHP on a Friday and do the EMM also. Last year the reports often seemed to be that the weekday parties were as bad as if not worse than the weekend parties. I don't think there would be enough of a difference to only choose based on that, I would choose based on what fit into my schedule. We went to one of the MNSSHPs right before Halloween last year, I can't remember if it was a Friday or Saturday (but it was definitely one of those days, which traditionally people would think would be a very busy one), and I thought it was fine. Maybe I was prepared for the worst, after reading reviews all season, but we did everything we wanted (and pretty much everything there was for the party) without a problem.
Yes but what about 8/23 as we get closer to swe. my concern was mostly the resorts will be packed with more of those guests for swe opening and want to do mnsshp on 8/23.

Yes but what about 8/23 as we get closer to swe. my concern was mostly the resorts will be packed with more of those guests for swe opening and want to do mnsshp on 8/23.
I wouldn’t overthink which day will be more crowded and do what for my schedule best. So for me, I would rather do both, and rather get sleep, so I would move MNSSHP. From following along here it often seems that days people guess will be more crowded vs less crowded are often wrong anyway, and pverall
They are all crowded and busy, so do what works for you.

There are still plenty of rooms available. Don't overthink it. Go when it works best for you. 8/23 is a full 6 days before GE opens.

So I ended up canceling our EMM because we’re doing AK DAH now and it’s on the same day. How long should I expect before the refund shows up on my credit card? Anyone know?

My first post! But this thread was so helpful to me, so I’ll chime in.

We went this morning. My husband, me, and my five “kids,” ages 15-23. We took the bus from Beach Club at 6:55 & arrived at the HS gate by 7:05. Made our way to wait by the the holding place. We stayed to the right, as was suggested. They didn’t let is in until 7:30. We made our way to SDD & was on the 3rd train. Off by 7:40. We ride Aliens once & TSMM once. After a potty break, we went back to SDD & rode it two more times with less than a 10 minute wait for each ride.

We decided to ride TSMM one more time. As we were near the loading area, they started unloading people & advised us to go do something else because the ride was down. It was 8:45 by then. We then decided to go to ToT. We had FP at 3:25, but we were trying to knock it out earlier. Terrible decision. It was craziness once the main park goers got into the park. I was tripped up by a stroller on purpose, and as stated by another poster, they waited to tell us the ride was down once we got to the ride.

We gave up & went to the yummy breakfast & rested.

Overall, a great experience. We could’ve ridden SDD four times, if we had not gone to TSMM after our third trip.
With staying at the Beach Club, was the boat not an option? Is that why you had to take the bus? We are staying there in August.

So I ended up canceling our EMM because we’re doing AK DAH now and it’s on the same day. How long should I expect before the refund shows up on my credit card? Anyone know?
I did this same thing and it took about two days for the refund to show up on my credit card.

With staying at the Beach Club, was the boat not an option? Is that why you had to take the bus? We are staying there in August.
We asked the front desk the night before. They said the boats weren’t running that early, but there was a bus specifically for the event picking up at the Beach Club, then stops at the Boardwalk, then it goes to HS. It picked us up at 6:55. We made it in plenty of time. We were waiting at the Chinese theater by 7:15. We could have walked, but it’s been so hot this week, we didn’t want to drain our energy so early.

We asked the front desk the night before. They said the boats weren’t running that early, but there was a bus specifically for the event picking up at the Beach Club, then stops at the Boardwalk, then it goes to HS. It picked us up at 6:55. We made it in plenty of time. We were waiting at the Chinese theater by 7:15. We could have walked, but it’s been so hot this week, we didn’t want to drain our energy so early.

Did that bus stop at Sean/dolphin?

We did EMM on 5/15 and stayed at Yacht Club. Unless they changed something in the last two weeks, the boats start at 6:30 on EMM mornings. My mother and I were on the first one and watched it come out of the dock behind Epcot along with a second boat that I presume headed straight to HS to start the rotation. We rode with one other couple from Boardwalk and got to HS by about 6:50.

I'm not sure the front desk CMs always know what's going on with the transportation. We asked the boat CMs directly the day before since we were riding that day too.

We did EMM on 5/15 and stayed at Yacht Club. Unless they changed something in the last two weeks, the boats start at 6:30 on EMM mornings. My mother and I were on the first one and watched it come out of the dock behind Epcot along with a second boat that I presume headed straight to HS to start the rotation. We rode with one other couple from Boardwalk and got to HS by about 6:50.

I'm not sure the front desk CMs always know what's going on with the transportation. We asked the boat CMs directly the day before since we were riding that day too.
Maybe our front desk CM didn’t have the right info? We just did what she said & it all worked out, thankfully. I was very stressed about making it on time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter