Diabetes and dining

CdnCarrie

DIS Veteran
Any tips? I'm newly diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes.

I was thinking smoothies for breakfast but still too many carbs.
Right now I eat way too many eggs at breakfast at home and get tired of them.

We're staying at WL so I find the QS options limited to the values and mods. I was thinking of bringing breakfast with us but can't think of what besides yogurt and cheesesticks.

So quick and cheap breakfast options for diabetics? And how do you keep off the carbs and sugars while Disney/UO dining for 12 nights?

Do you know how many carbs your body can handle at a time? I try to limit breakfast to 15 net carbs, and lunch and dinner to 30. You'll be walking more than usual, so that may bring your numbers down a little so that you can have a few more carbs than normal.

For breakfast, look for your egg, cheese, and meat options. If you don't want so many eggs, pack low carb wraps (I like Mission Carb Balance) that you can put the "insides" of a breakfast sandwich into. Alternately, order a breakfast sandwich and only eat half of the bread. If I wanted something easy in the room, I'd probably do a wrap with peanut butter.

I do eat low fat wraps with egg and cheese for breakfast. I can bring some with me.

Still figuring out my numbers. I try not to do more than 90 grams a day.

Can you get hard boiled eggs or just eggs at the WL? At the values they have much bigger grab and go areas with that kind of stuff.

ETA: I wrote this on my phone and good Lord, I had no idea how long it was. I apologize in advance!

My husband is a type 1 diabetic and he’s very strict about his diet, even on vacation. I will admit that breakfast is just not his thing, even at home, largely due to the limited options. He usually snacks in the mornings, eats lunch, and has a huge dinner. Lunch and dinner, even on vacation, are pretty easy since he just sticks to meat and veggies.

Anyway, at WDW, for QS breakfast, he loads up on eggs, bacon, breakfast sausage, and cheese if it’s available (depends on the resort). We’ve also gone off site and bought food back to the room for him to eat because he loves to snack before and after we go to the parks: jerky, various cheeses and cheese sticks, pork rinds and low carb dips, such as cheese or ranch dips, prepackaged snack meats and cheeses, and lots of nuts; his favorite nuts are the Blue Diamond variety since they come in tons of delicious flavors like Sriracha, wasabi and soy sauce, spicy chili, etc.

Nothing beats a buffet breakfast though, but that’s not quick and we’re park commandos so we don’t do buffet breakfasts every day; we usually do it 1-2 times per trip.

If Mike doesn’t feel like stopping at the resort QS in the morning, he’ll eat before we leave our room and then he’ll eat at a QS in the park around 11. There are always way more options by then. He’ll order an entree salad, a steak and double veggies, a bun less burger and sub veggies instead of fries, fajitas without the tortillas and sub veggies for rice and beans, etc. No one gives him trouble over subbing veggies for carbs.

Mike definitely notices all the delicious carbs in the parks and points them out with childlike enthusiasm () but he resists temptation. He always jokes that he’s in too deep to quit now but he was diagnosed as a type 1 diabetic 6 years ago and he’s read/reads a lot of research about it, so he’s pretty committed to low carb eating.

Have you tried Kind bars? They have about 15-16g carbs but 8-9g protein depending on the variety you get

So my wife and I are both Type II, back in January I was on mission mode to lower my A1C as I was diagnosed the previous March. I had 4 days at Disney and 4 days at a resort in Clearwater Beach to deal with though. While I had my cheats, I still wanted to be able to be healthy in my choices.

Breakfast; I ordered omelettes everyday, for the most part. The nice thing at the Swan/Dolphin is I could get a custom omelette so I was in charge of how much variety I wanted. I skipped the potatoes but I did have wheat bread. I only wish I could have gotten an Omelette late at night when we came back hungry.

Lunch & Dinner I checked out all the menus of where we'd chosen to eat at so I knew they had low carb options.

We also took a few Atkins bars and other healthier snack items. The bars were a big help to avoid snacking at the parks on something that wasn't healthy.

I found it pretty easy to eat low carb on the trip, but I have no issue declining sides like potatoes or rice, but I did ask for extra veggies too. As I said I did have my cheats; few drinks and an ice cream bar. But I my blood sugar levels were all good and best of all when I had my A1C text a few weeks later my number rocked, I was happy I didn't go crazy but I felt I had good choices at WDW.

Have you tried Kind bars? They have about 15-16g carbs but 8-9g protein depending on the variety you get

No haven’t heard of them. I’ll look them up.

So would it be possible to get scrambled eggs only at Roaring Fiork?

If you are eating lchf, similar to Keto, then you can never have too many eggs! I tend to have 50 or less carbs, not net carbs per day.

It’s just a matter of modifying meals to cut all starch carbs and replace w veg or salad and protein. Good luck!

Any tips? I'm newly diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes.

I was thinking smoothies for breakfast but still too many carbs.
Right now I eat way too many eggs at breakfast at home and get tired of them.

We're staying at WL so I find the QS options limited to the values and mods. I was thinking of bringing breakfast with us but can't think of what besides yogurt and cheesesticks.

So quick and cheap breakfast options for diabetics? And how do you keep off the carbs and sugars while Disney/UO dining for 12 nights?
I'm Type-2.....

American Breakfast is horrible - too many sweets and/or carbs....

QS is even more of a challenge.

I find having at least a breakfast or early lunch reservation better than trying to navigate QS. But QS at the Deluxe Resorts have some freshly-cooked less-sodium protein options.

Most breakfast buffets include a meat (or two) carving station; Boma is the stand-out for both variety and quality.

Personally, I keep sliced meat (i.e., ham, turkey, roast beef), cheese, yogurt and/or nuts around instead of smoothies. Too many of those drinks have too many sugars.

Good luck!

Check out Premier Protein drinks. They come in a variety of flavors and are high-protein, very low-carb. Pair that with a cheese stick, some jerky or fully cooked bacon for a quick breakfast.

Syntrax whey protein isolate is my solution to breakfasts. High protein, no carbs, no funny "cooked" or "soy" flavor. I bring Trader Joe's unsweetened vanilla almond milk with me, too (it's a quart container, shelf-stable, 2g carbs per cup- just double-ziplock it, maybe wrap in a towel, and put it in the suitcase). Syntrax nectars come in a variety of flavors, and if you go to their website (si03.com) and hover your mouse over the "special offer" section, you'll find you can order 17 packets (so 17 different flavors) of shake mix for $17 plus $1.99 shipping. As long as you have a mini fridge and a shaker bottle (mine has a coiled metal bottle), you have breakfast variety with almost no carbs! (You can also mix any of these with water; I just like it better made with almond milk.)

Also... last time we stayed at AKL, I could order scrambled eggs at their QS location- JUST the eggs, none of the sides or meats or anything that goes with them and it was pretty cheap. Far better than the pricey, caloric, carb-laden "platters" they offer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter