diabetic diet

carlacv

Mouseketeer
hubby recently diagnosed with diabetes and we are hoping to go to WDW for Xmas break. any suggestions as to what restaurants ad/or food suggestions. I know its very individualized but we are new to this lifestyle change.

Thank you!

You can always talk to a chef and have something that is safe made, plain grilled proteins with plain veggies and no carby sides. I think you can make that kind of modification pretty much anywhere you want to eat... if not based off the adult menu, certainly there are "mickey check" options that can have the grains/starches left off and made in adult sized portions. Most places with more casual/lunch menus have salad + proteins but be wary of any carby toppers like dried fruit and any sugary dressings. I usually get dressing on the side.

I have also read to be wary of "no sugar added" desserts as they are not really diabetic friendly and do tend to have a lot of carbs and sometimes natural sugar in the ingredients, just no sugar added.

This is something you'll eventually have to figure out for yourselves on the most part. Has he seen a nutritionist? As having been recently diagnosed with diabetes I saw one and can now pretty much figure it out on my own.

I highly recommend this book:
book.jpg

It lists calorie and carb counts for almost every food known to man as well as foods at various chain restaurants. Beware: You'll never eat at Cheesecake Factory again.

This is very true and the nutritionist confirmed it:
"I have also read to be wary of "no sugar added" desserts as they are not really diabetic friendly and do tend to have a lot of carbs and sometimes natural sugar in the ingredients, just no sugar added."

You need to see a nutritionist and your doctor. Three years ago I was taking 13 pills a day for type 2 diabetes. I saw a doctor and nutritionist and I took up walking. And I do mean walking I look like I am planning a vacation every day. I walk 12-15 miles a day. I am 100 pounds lighter and take no medicine. You can do it and still enjoy vacation.

hubby recently diagnosed with diabetes and we are hoping to go to WDW for Xmas break. any suggestions as to what restaurants ad/or food suggestions. I know its very individualized but we are new to this lifestyle change.

Thank you!

Actually, there really aren't 'diabetic' diets! You can eat (most) anything that non diabetics eat. You must balance and understand your carb/sugar intake and eat a healthy diet as most of us should anyway.

Don't 'ask' for a diabetic diet as they will try to give you sugar free, etc. You MUST learn to watch what you eat yourself. At first, you might want to have a carb counter, etc. but you will learn to eye ball it. I am not diabetic, but my sis is so I read up about it.

Like KenHutch said above - exercise every day and keep your weight down. My sis eats most things - just mentally keeps track, and keeps a correct weight for her.

Just don't stress - you will learn to take it in stride!

Actually, there really aren't 'diabetic' diets! You can eat (most) anything that non diabetics eat. You must balance and understand your carb/sugar intake and eat a healthy diet as most of us should anyway.

Don't 'ask' for a diabetic diet as they will try to give you sugar free, etc. You MUST learn to watch what you eat yourself. At first, you might want to have a carb counter, etc. but you will learn to eye ball it. I am not diabetic, but my sis is so I read up about it.

Like KenHutch said above - exercise every day and keep your weight down. My sis eats most things - just mentally keeps track, and keeps a correct weight for her.

Just don't stress - you will learn to take it in stride!

Exactly. A friend asked me about having a drink. My nutritionist said to keep it to no more than 1-2 day and to just incorporate the calories and carbs into my diet. So I've pretty much eliminated beer. Too many carbs.

It's not hard to do. Just takes a little study and self control (the hard part).

And as I said above remember exercise. I have that 30,000 step a day rule. And that does make Disney easier.

Exactly. A friend asked me about having a drink. My nutritionist said to keep it to no more than 1-2 day and to just incorporate the calories and carbs into my diet. So I've pretty much eliminated beer. Too many carbs.

It's not hard to do. Just takes a little study and self control (the hard part).

Actually, the self control part is part of my life anyway (I'm not diabetic). :) Have to always be aware of my calories to an extent if I want my weight to stay acceptable and keep my life healthy. I can relate to how hard it is. I. Love. Food. and love to cook/bake!! :tilt:

I got diagnoses last year. I spent the next 11 months highly focused on getting my BS in control, losing weight and taking control of what I ate. I was successful in getting my BS to 4.9 within a year and lost 75 pounds, but the biggest success I had was maintaining my weight from November through February. That time included Thanksgiving, Christmas, and four days at Disney World and 3 days at the Florida Coast.

Even at WDW I watched what I chose to eat carefully. Breakfasts were omelettes, no potatoes but I did have bread. For lunch I had larger salads and a few other things that were not as carb friendly, but avoided things like burgers and other carb heavy items. For dinners I had picked up restaurants that both my wife and I could enjoy and ones that I could watch the carbs. I looked over the menus before I decided where we'd eat, that ruled out some places that didn't meet my goals. But at most restaurants I could find healthy meals that would let me avoid carbs and sugars. Even then I had some carbs since I was also walking 25,000+ steps a day. The whole week my BS was in range. I even had a few drinks with out a major impact.

Before that I had spoke with my Doctor and I'd made a plan. To me the plan is the key. I also took healthy snacks so I could avoid the Disney snacks, mostly. Few Atkins bars, bags of nuts and Vitamin Water Zero and I was good to go. I pretty much eliminated soda from my diet but allowed myself to have one a day while on the trip.

Like me your husband, and you, will have about a year before going to get comfortable with your dietary changes.

While I'm stuck being Type II, I have been successful in changing my eating habits and monitoring my BS. There is some good info on the net, you can hit up google with the words "Disney World Diabetes" or try "low carb, atkins, keto" or several other low carb lifestyles.

There is most likely diabetes education offered through your local hospital or diabetes center which is covered by most insurance. Spouses may certainly attend and learn right along with the patient. Our local diabetes center offers a free diabetes education fair in November which is open to everyone for added educational opportunities.

There is most likely diabetes education offered through your local hospital or diabetes center which is covered by most insurance.
This is a good point. But before you go find out how much your Insurance will cover. I jumped and went to the hospital found out Insurance would only cover a small portion, I had a $350 bill and honestly the education meeting was worthless at that hospital. Found out later my Insurance Company covers other types of education and offers their own 1 on 1 over the phone (that was 100x better) then what the hospital said. So the best thing I learned was to ask first.

Although not diabetic, I was very interested in the impact of insulin and insulin sensitivity on our bodies and the effects on our weight and other health indicators (cholesterol, for example). There is a very good book by Dr. Jason Fung called the Obesity Code. While I do not like the title, it has extremely good information on the causes of type 2 diabetes and how, in some cases, it can essentially be reversed. This book is geared more toward weight loss, but the principles are the same. He also has a new book coming out in April called the Diabetes Code, which, as the title suggests, will be more geared toward diabetics.

To be clear, I am not preaching that type 2 diabetes can be reversed or that this book is the gospel on health or diabetes, but I think it has valuable information to add to your toolkit.

This is a good point. But before you go find out how much your Insurance will cover. I jumped and went to the hospital found out Insurance would only cover a small portion, I had a $350 bill and honestly the education meeting was worthless at that hospital. Found out later my Insurance Company covers other types of education and offers their own 1 on 1 over the phone (that was 100x better) then what the hospital said. So the best thing I learned was to ask first.

It is on all of us to know our insurance, to call member services to find out how much is covered, and so on, but in a crisis it's tough. I would be appealing a decision not covering the education as it is an essential tool for managing the disease. Coding errors can happen, also. Continuing education after the initial one-on-one meetings with certified diabetes educators and nutritionist where they teach about blood glucose monitoring, use of the meter, and help adapt food likes and dislikes to a new way of eating is also important. Some physicians do not know about the availability of education. Diabetes support groups in the community can also be helpful.

II would be appealing a decision not covering the education as it is an essential tool for managing the disease. Coding errors can happen, also.
Oh trust me I appealed with the insurance company, asked to have the coding reviewed, etc. But the real issue to me wasn't the money, though that I did piss me off, it was how worthless the visit was. My Doc was bothered by my follow report about them and has since told me he now advises that there are other non-hospital related options too. The best option for me so far has been offerings through my Insurance Company, but of course every carrier, doc and hospital are different I don't want to discourage anyone from going, just ask questions before is all I'd say.

You need to see a nutritionist and your doctor. Three years ago I was taking 13 pills a day for type 2 diabetes. I saw a doctor and nutritionist and I took up walking. And I do mean walking I look like I am planning a vacation every day. I walk 12-15 miles a day. I am 100 pounds lighter and take no medicine. You can do it and still enjoy vacation.

BRAVO. Great accomplishment!

My son was diagnosed last year with Type 1. His nutritionist lead us on to the app CalorieKing. It is easy to use and not only lists carbs, but it also lists calories for those who are just trying to watch calories. There is also a hard book copy available. We also Google how many carbs are in foods not listed in CalorieKing. Understanding what foods have carbs and what foods are good to eat with carb-filled foods is helpful. Meeting with a good nutritionist is valuable. Hope this helps.

Side note: Disney is great about having sharpy containers in many if not all of their restrooms to dispose insulin needles.

Remember to snack and bring snacks with you into the parks. My mom has type 2, and at WDW her sugar runs lower than usual because of all the walking and heat. The first time we went after she was diagnosed, she almost passed out because her BS had plummeted. Now we know. So now we take breaks with snacks. Disney has gotten better at having fruit at a lot of their stands, which helps with the BS dips. She also checks her BS more when at WDW. Her BS is regulated now by insulin, but it was running low for her on our last trip, that eating wasn't an issue at all. She only splurged really during our tea at GF, otherwise it was just everything in moderation. We even enjoyed a couple of adult beverages, no problem. And the great thing about WDW trips is it gives her motivation to exercise before hand so she's up to all the walking ;)

If you have a question about a menu, contact Disney before hand, or ask while there. Disney is really good about accommodating special dietary needs.

If you have a question about a menu, contact Disney before hand, or ask while there. Disney is really good about accommodating special dietary needs.

As a diabetic, you are not on a particular 'diet' per se, asking about it as a diet to a chef is not very helpful. The most they do is push sugar free selections which is 'not' helpful. Each person has to learn to manage their own balance of carbs, proteins, fats etc. You (general) have your own responsibility to track your intake and manage accordingly - ask your Dr!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter