Diaper bags v. backpacks in the parks?

We use backpacks too. I usually leave one (an old one that I wouldn't care if it disappeared) and zip tie it to the stroller. In it I put snacks, change of clothes for youngest, sunscreen, diapers/wipes in a separate small bag to make for easy changes, water bottles. I have a small bag that I carry with me that has my wallet, camera, sunscreen stick, first aid kit - just the essentials.

Personally I'll never us a diaper bag/messenger bag again. My shoulder was killing me at the end of the day with the single shoulder strap. Backpack all the way next time.

We use 2 backpacks, but store them both below the stroller. One has all the diaper/baby needs, this one stays in the stroller at all times. One has valuables (camera, wallet, phones) and a water bottle, this one comes on all the rides with us. Better than separating everything out everytime you leave your stroller in stroller parking.

Was never a fan of the backpack diaper bag, as that just meant I always had to carry it, and when I have a stroller with me, why am I carrying a diaper bag! I have a really nifty Skip Hop Via messenger diaper bag I got free with my registry from BRU (Rest in Peace) that is very moderate in size but comes with all the great little pockets and even has the stroller clips to hang directly on the stroller, making it a great stoller command center. I plan to keep his change of clothes, sunscreen, glasses and such in that. I couple that with the Skip Hop Pronto changing station and we are set! The only thing I plan to add for us is an expandable lunch bag I have with straps that I can clip to the stroller or store in the basket for snacks for all 3 of us. Depending on the day I might ditch the diaper bag altogether and just use my fanny pack and the Changing station for really light travel. Ultimately, whatever I choose to carry, I want it to be light, small, or a combination of both. My son is 20 months BTW and will be 2.5 yrs when we travel to Disney. But I have been travelling like this with him since he was born and it has worked well. Funny how the diaper bag I use the most is the one I got free!

We use a diaper bag at home, but always bring a backpack for the parks. It is easier. We don't carry it, we store it under the stroller. We bring a larger double stroller though.

Definitely a light backpack. We just went last November with out 12 month old and threw sunblock, wipes, diapers, plastic disposable table placemats and a few snacks. We were also able to put our phones, chapstick sunglasses in there. Throw it on our back or throw it under our stroller. Our diaper bag is way too big and bulky.

I’ll never use another backpack. Best thing i ever bought and bring it everywhere. Like others have posted, I hate having anything on me because I get too hot. This backpack is so thin you don’t even feel it on you with a couple diapers and wipes in there. I like that it has thicker straps to support your shoulders unlike other light backpacks like drawstring ones. The sides can hold a water bottle too. It’s washable and as you can see folds up super small.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

We've always carried a backpack into the parks. We just always took turns carrying it. When we take my grandson, his diapers wipes, creams all in the center, the back had change if clothes and jacket. The pockets had hand wipes, bandaids, phone charger etc... our stroller had a pack for snacks. We often left it in the stroller if need be, nothing was irreplaceable. That backpack has traveled the world, we've used it for trips for years!

Jansport makes cute mini-backpacks that are Disney themed! We got one to use as a diaper bag for my son who was 15 mos. I took it on every single ride and it fit fine in the little pouches on the coasters. My DH actually had his phone fall out of his pocket on RnR (and then the CM turned it off so we couldn't call it) but once we found it, DH insisted I carry his phone in the backpack for the rest of the trip.

Also OP, I know this is unsolicited advice but I would definitely pack baby medicines! Both my kids (ages 3.5 and 15 mos) got sick by day 5 of our 8 night trip. Idk if I should have been more careful about germs on the plane or washing their hands more often but in general I think there's a lot of potential for a kid to get sick. On our next trip I'm packing Motrin and our thermometer!

I just used a bag/tote and when we were not on a ride and walking with the stroller, it stayed in the stroller.

I used zip lock bags-diapers had a bag, wipes had a bag-easier to carry and could carry more then the little travel diaper case...my youngest is 12 so they may not make those hard cases anymore-but I just grew a whole package of wipes in the bag (I know the have the pop top now, but we bought BJs in bulk), another bag had a small thin blanket to lay on for diaper changes and if I had a toilet trained one then another bag had the foldable toilet seat. We took mid day breaks so it wasn’t like I was carrying 20 diapers on me.

Eddie Bauer diaper backpack... I love the stroller straps so you can attach it to the stroller as you walk around (instead of carrying it on your back all day) and the insulated side pockets for snacks. I didn't carry a purse so I liked having my phone/wallet/essentials right by me as we walked. We kept a small cooler in the stroller storage area.

I’ll never use another backpack. Best thing i ever bought and bring it everywhere. Like others have posted, I hate having anything on me because I get too hot. This backpack is so thin you don’t even feel it on you with a couple diapers and wipes in there. I like that it has thicker straps to support your shoulders unlike other light backpacks like drawstring ones. The sides can hold a water bottle too. It’s washable and as you can see folds up super small.

View attachment 339281 View attachment 339282 View attachment 339283
Thank you for this! Our diaper bag is a columbia backpack, but I've realized it's heavy and makes my back sweat. This looks perfect for our trip.

Thank you for this! Our diaper bag is a columbia backpack, but I've realized it's heavy and makes my back sweat. This looks perfect for our trip.
That’s exactly why I never wanted to bring backpacks but then the draw string bags are super uncomfortable. So this is the happy medium!

We bought a cooler backpack for our last trip (first trip with no stroller), so that we could toss some cold water bottles in there and they'd stay cool. It was a really nice thing to have, and it wasn't a really expensive model or anything. My husband kept diapers in a sling bag, but I could have easily put them in the smaller backpack pocket. Next time, we'll be back to taking the stroller on account of having a new baby, but we'll probably stick to the backpack over the diaper bag since it saves us a bit of time and money to have cool drinks for the kids.

When DS was little, our regular diaper bag was a backpack, so we just stuck with that.

When we had one kid, we took a thin bag messanger/tote style bag. At 2: Diaper clutch, water, extra clothes. We also had a stroller and just leave the snacks in there. Even though we didn’t have any valuables, we still took this bag on rides. The bigger the bag, the more stud you either take or the more stuffed it felt. Our old bag would be a bit smaller/thinner than a skip hop Duo bag.

Now we have 2 kids. One in diapers, one without. DH revealed that the messenger style bag wasn’t ideal when he was carrying it while we were in line. I avoided backpacks but it’s just easier. I try my best to not to overstuff. We have a backpack diaper bag, it’s great but it gets heavy.

My kids are past diaper bags 22 and 18 but we went on a cruise this summer and I had a backpack for stuff for myself and boy is it easier. My vote is backpack all the way. Maybe throw on a fanny pack for your wallet and things.

I have one we bought a few years ago with wide, padded straps. I think it is actually a hiking backpack, but I'm not certain. Anyway, I will probably continue to carry it while on vacation even when my little one is out of diapers.
I find that it is comfortable to carry, and I am able to carry all that we need. If I have a full pack of wipes, it feels heavy. My only other complaint is that it can be hot in the summer. Sometimes, dh will take over carrying it for awhile.

I can't see not having it anymore. I have to keep an inhaler handy, as well as headache and sinus medicine. When you include cash, credit card, license, and keys, it's more than most people can carry comfortably in their pockets. Since I have it, I also bring extra ponytail holders, chap stick, and (when at Disney) I carry ponchos and glow sticks, etc. since I can't really tell those kinds of things are there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts