Did 2020 room rates just go up?

I just checked our November rates. I am planning on going to D23 Destination D the weekend before Thanksgiving, if they will ever announce it. In anticipation of this, I booked a regular (non-villa) room at Contemporary. There are hardly any rooms left, at least any of the reasonably priced rooms. Glad I booked that when it became available online. Last time, they offered a convention rate, which wasn't cheap but was better than nothing. Hopefully, they will do that again.

I checked the rate that I had for our July trip at Boardwalk (non-villa). I booked that when it became available online too. That price hasn't changed. However, I ended up renting DVC points for a studio there instead.

I just ran prices firmed a single night in their promo period and it definitely needs to be rebranded. The All Stars are still value @ $130/night. Surprisingly Pop wasn’t too much more at $145. For the updated rooms and the skyliner, I don’t think $15/night is an unreasonable upcharge.

True, but the rooms are also updated - the exact same updates - at the All Stars, plus at this point who knows if the Skyliner is even going to be running when you go? Right now it isn't running at all, and the future is murky. Even if the Skyliner gets the all-clear, it won't run in bad weather, which is pretty much every day during the summer. So you might end up paying for an upgrade you can't use.

I looked up a random date in January, the 26th I think, which is on a Sunday at CSR. The rack rate after taxes listed with Mousesavers was $223, But Disney has the rack rate of that room at $236, after taxes of course. But it is on sale for 189. So Disney has raised the rack rate of that standard room at CSR by $13 since first released? If I am wrong let me know.

I don’t see it that way. For my dates next summer, Pop is roughly $40 more per night then an AllStar, but the cheapest moderate room is over $90 more per night than Pop.

I agree. Other room categories have price variations between resorts, so why shouldn't value resorts as well? And as you pointed out Pop's prices are still closer to All Star prices then to the lowest moderate resort---at least any time I've recently checked. Which due to discussions like these, plus planning my own 2020 trip, has been many, many times. :)

Here’s where it gets wonky. AoA is $425/night. Yea, it’s a suite and it’s a good amount of space, but you could stay at animal kingdom - a deluxe for $330/night. It’s not a one bedroom though, that’ll run you $550/night. Comparitivley a Pop lockout for $290 /night total for two rooms.

At those price points, AoA clearly sits between a value and deluxe as a moderate resort and should really be branded as such. We all knew it was a deal before, seems Disney caught on too.

Comparing a suite at AoA to a standard (or even, somewhat a 1 bedroom villa) room at a Deluxe is really an apples to oranges comparison. The suites have a separate master suite, a living area (sofa, chair, TV), a table and chairs, kitchenette that includes a microwave (that standard rooms don't have), and the biggest difference is that the suites have TWO bathrooms. Two rooms at a value (and sometimes Moderates) has always been less expensive than a suite. However, with 2 rooms, there is no guarantee they will be connecting rooms. The last few times we've stayed at AoA we could have stayed in certain standard deluxe rooms for less money but the master suite and two bathrooms always keep us at AoA.

Comparing a suite at AoA to a standard (or even, somewhat a 1 bedroom villa) room at a Deluxe is really an apples to oranges comparison. The suites have a separate master suite, a living area (sofa, chair, TV), a table and chairs, kitchenette that includes a microwave (that standard rooms don't have), and the biggest difference is that the suites have TWO bathrooms. Two rooms at a value (and sometimes Moderates) has always been less expensive than a suite. However, with 2 rooms, there is no guarantee they will be connecting rooms. The last few times we've stayed at AoA we could have stayed in certain standard deluxe rooms for less money but the master suite and two bathrooms always keep us at AoA.

You’re missing the point here. I’m not debating the merits of AoA, it’s my favorite resort by far.

AoA by capacity and amenities is far better than all of the other values. It’s pricing is far greater than all of the other values as well. At $425/night, it is 3 times the price of Pop.

The fact that those options don’t exist at other values helps support that it’s a class in its own. To your point, connecting rooms aren’t nearly as big, convenient, nor guaranteed.

So whats the closest comparison? A one bedroom at best, which offers a main bedroom, a kitchen area, a sofa bed, and sometimes a sleeping chair. But none of the values offer a 1 bedroom. So would that be classified as a..moderate? I don’t think it’s a deluxe.

Also got a PIN code in the mail yesterday as well (first one in years, for me) for APR/MAY/JUNE of next year. Don't think I could squeeze a trip in, though. If I could, it would have to be either Easter week or around Memorial Day - dates that are probably blacked out.

It's been a long time since I've seen such wide-spread reports here on the boards of people getting PIN codes. I think it says a lot about where they are with their occupancy/attendance.

I got a pin code for that time frame last week, as well. First time ever. I was so excited! :banana: Then I saw the time frame. My trip isn't until September. I thought about switching it to May, but I just can't make it work. I was bummed. :guilty: Oh well. I'm betting they come out with discounts for my time frame next year.

Got a PIN code yesterday for $150 per night at Coronado Springs for stays from the last weekend of November through December 20. It would save me $61 per night from the rate i get trying to book without the code and $108 from the rack rate. Pretty good deal and I wish I could take advantage of it, but my DW won't be able to get off work. Almost a 42% rack rate discount at a moderate tells me bookings are slow at least at Coronado even with Rise being open by then and the Christmas festivities.

Last edited:
Got a PIN code yesterday for $150 per night at Coronado Springs for stays from the last weekend of November through December 20. It would save me $61 per night from the rate i get trying to book without the code and $108 from the rack rate. Pretty good deal and I wish I could take advantage of it, but my DW won't be able to get off work. Almost a 42% rack rate discount at a moderate tells me bookings are slow at least at Coronado even with Rise being open by then and the Christmas festivities.
Got the same code.

Got the same code.

Me, too. I think I've gotten more PIN codes in the last month or so than I've gotten in the last 2 years. Are bookings down that much or are the PIN codes not as exclusive as they used to be????

Me, too. I think I've gotten more PIN codes in the last month or so than I've gotten in the last 2 years. Are bookings down that much or are the PIN codes not as exclusive as they used to be????
I think the bookings are down. I really do. For instance, we are wanting to do a water park trip this summer. We are not planning on staying at a Disney property. First Time Ever.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter