Did anyone have a child NOT like Discovery Cove?

mshanson3121

DIS Veteran
I really want to try this (as does my son), but I'm a little concerned about whether my youngest would be okay with it. She has ASD (high functioning), will be 8, but can be very timid on some things, and right now the idea of swimming with fish etc... really creeps her out. The last thing I want is to spend all that money, and her end up hating it. Has anyone ever had a child that didn't like it? Or that was kind of scared of swimming with the fish etc?

Let me start out by saying I HATE fish. They terrify me. I went to Discovery Cove in elementary school, maybe 4th or 5th grade? I absolutely loved swimming with the dolphins, but going into the pool with all of the tropical fish was a whole different story. I remember walking into the pool to give it a try, seeing ginormous stingrays or manta rays or whatever they were, and screaming and running out! I refused to go back in! Even though I wouldn't swim there, I still had a blast with everything else there was to do.

If you are not doing the dolphin swim, the only other place that there will be fish in the water is the Grand Reef. There are no fish or other creatures in the Wind Away River, nor are there any animals in the water with you in the Freshwater Oasis EXCEPT for ducks (they often swim around the sunken loungers there), the Asian otters (which are behind glass, and can be completely avoided if desired) and the marmosets (which are on an island within the Oasis and don't mingle with guests).

If your daughter will not like swimming along side the fish in the Grand Reef, be aware that she may also not enjoy the aviary. Many of the birds will land on you if they think you have food, especially early in the day when they're at their hungriest.

If you are not doing the dolphin swim, the only other place that there will be fish in the water is the Grand Reef. There are no fish or other creatures in the Wind Away River, nor are there any animals in the water with you in the Freshwater Oasis EXCEPT for ducks (they often swim around the sunken loungers there), the Asian otters (which are behind glass, and can be completely avoided if desired) and the marmosets (which are on an island within the Oasis and don't mingle with guests).

If your daughter will not like swimming along side the fish in the Grand Reef, be aware that she may also not enjoy the aviary. Many of the birds will land on you if they think you have food, especially early in the day when they're at their hungriest.

Oddly enough she loves the idea of the birds. Lol.

I really want to try this (as does my son), but I'm a little concerned about whether my youngest would be okay with it. She has ASD (high functioning), will be 8, but can be very timid on some things, and right now the idea of swimming with fish etc... really creeps her out. The last thing I want is to spend all that money, and her end up hating it. Has anyone ever had a child that didn't like it? Or that was kind of scared of swimming with the fish etc?

If you have 2 adults and multiple kids, split up for an hour or so to acccommodate individual interests.

Not our son but a friend took his teen daughter and a friend. The friend hated it and was scared of the dolphins.

My DD is 15 (almost 16) and is totally creeped out about swimming with fish. And I love snorkeling *sigh*. When we were in Castaway Cay, there are lots of fishies swimming near the shore - she had her brother and her friends stand in a ring around her splashing to keep the fishies away LOL!

I'd love to do Discovery Cove, but can't see it being worth it with a kid like that. She has said NO to dolphin swims, swimming in any kind of reef with fish, and while she likes looking at stingrays from a safe distance - she definitely wouldn't touch them.

I would not do it. Both my kids are autistic and the older one will NOT swim in a body of water that has live creatures in it. He got traumatized at Castaway Cay with a kind of large fish that swam next to him, brushing his leg. He was 9 and FREAKED OUT. Now he won't go in the ocean at all, anywhere. He's almost 13. The other child hates cold water. Discovery Cove water is really cold! So yeah, it's a no go for us. Would be money wasted for sure. I would not do it unless the child is begging to go. That's pretty much how we roll with our kids now...If they are not REALLY into the idea of something, we wait until they are.

I would not do it. Both my kids are autistic and the older one will NOT swim in a body of water that has live creatures in it. He got traumatized at Castaway Cay with a kind of large fish that swam next to him, brushing his leg. He was 9 and FREAKED OUT. Now he won't go in the ocean at all, anywhere. He's almost 13. The other child hates cold water. Discovery Cove water is really cold! So yeah, it's a no go for us. Would be money wasted for sure. I would not do it unless the child is begging to go. That's pretty much how we roll with our kids now...If they are not REALLY into the idea of something, we wait until they are.

Oie. I forgot about the cold water part. Yeah, our daughter has both Raynauds and Livedo Reticularis and is extremely sensitive to any temperatures pretty well below 70-75. She definitely can't stand cold water. Grrr.

Suggestions for alternative experiences that would let them visit an aviary where they can feed birds and where they can see fish? Doesn't have to have rides etc...

Discovery Cove water is really cold!

This misinformation needs to be corrected.

While most people find the Grand Reef and the Dolphin Lagoon to be cool or cold, the Freshwater Oasis and Wind Away River are both bathwater warm at 85-88 degrees.

Those two water attractions (which are half of the water activities within the park) are definitely not what should be classed as "really cold".

Last edited:
Oie. I forgot about the cold water part. Yeah, our daughter has both Raynauds and Livedo Reticularis and is extremely sensitive to any temperatures pretty well below 70-75. She definitely can't stand cold water. Grrr.

Suggestions for alternative experiences that would let them visit an aviary where they can feed birds and where they can see fish? Doesn't have to have rides etc...

Sea Life aquarium would allow them to see lots of fish.

Wild Florida might be a good choice for exotic birds (and other animals).

Have you shown her videos? I let my kids watch a walk through on YouTube. My oldest DS is 8 and has very high functioning ASD. He wasn't into swimming with fish and stingray (although he will touch them at our zoo), but he loves the idea of snorkeling gear. He thought the beach pool and lazy river looked fun. Didn't really care one way or the other about the aviary. Loved the idea of unlimited potato chips all day. Lol. We're not doing the dolphin swim because my youngest DS isn't old enough yet. My DD is really the one who is excited about it all, and I think my DS8's hesitation will be balance out by DD's excitement.

The YouTube video really helped my kids.

My son was very scared of the dolphin swim. Loved the reef and everything else DC has to offer. And, my daughter loved the dolphin swim and hated the cold water in the reef.

Is there a policy if you buy the dolphin swim package for a kid and then they freak out and don't want to go, can you get a partial refund?

This misinformation needs to be corrected.

While most people find the Grand Reef and the Dolphin Lagoon to be cool or cold, the Freshwater Oasis and Wind Away River are both bathwater warm at 85-88 degrees.

Those two water attractions (which are half of the water activities within the park) are definitely not what should be classed as "really cold".

Following up on Gina's comment, I can see how someone would consider the water in the Grand Reef to be cold. Personally, I would consider it "chilly" but not "cold." When I went, everyone in my family went with the long wetsuits instead of the vests. They kept us quite warm and I actually looked forward to the "chilly" water in the Grand Reed and Dolphin Lagoon.

So if you choose to go, I suggest you consider choosing a wetsuit for your daughter. That would definitely eliminate any cold temperature aversion she may have for the warmer water areas, and might allow her to at least go knee deep in the Grand Reef.

Last edited:
When we went a few years ago my brother almost refused to do the dolphin swim as the water was so cold. He did go in and enjoy it though! Most of us felt funny about swimming in the Grand Reef as the fish and stingrays unsettled us. If you're not doing the dolphin swim and you don't like the thought of swimming with fish I personally wouldn't pay the money to go to DC just to swim in a lazy river and feed some birds. That said, if the rest of you want to go, then go for it! I think the dolphin swim is the huge highlight of the day- it's worth considering. We felt very comfortable with them in the water.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!