Did I make a mistake?

BendOregon

Earning My Ears
My family of three (Me, wife, and 7 yo daughter) were booked in a rack rate, standard view room at the Wilderness Lodge for April 25 through May 2, 2018. When the spring discounts came out we looked into different resorts. We found that there were no discounts really available at WL, but were able to locate a pool view room at AKL for approximately $275.00 less (in total, not per night) than what we were planning on spending at WL. We also found a BWI Garden view room for approximately $50.00 more (again in total, not per night) than what we were planning on spending at WL. After some debate, we decided to go ahead and book the AKL room for the savings. However, the remoteness of the AKL has me a bit concerned. I’m wondering if BWI might be a better fit or if maybe I should have stuck with WL.

About us and our trip: We have been to Disney once before and stayed at the Contemporary. We enjoyed the monorail and the ability to walk to MK. No spring discounts were really available at the CR for us this year. This trip we’ve got two days planned at AK, two days at MK, a day each at Epcot and HS, and then a “play it by ear” day. We’ve got preopening breakfast reservations at AK and MK on one day each, then an earlier breakfast at Boardwalk Inn on our Epcot day. Unless we’ve got preopening breakfast reservations we’re not super keen on arriving at the park at rope drop. If we get there within 45 minutes of the park’s opening, we’re happy. Last trip the daughter pretty much pooped out by 2:00 p.m. and we headed back to the room for a short nap and then some pool time. Then we’d grab a later dinner (for us), watch the fireworks, or do something else. We had a fabulous time.

This year I suspect the young one will have some more stamina, but not much more. Last trip was pretty short, one day at MK, AK, and Epcot, so we didn’t ride the busses a lot last trip as we only did one day at AK. For MK and Epcot we either took the monorail or walked. Our experience with the bus system was fine; it was just a bit of a drag when compared to walking back from MK or hopping on the monorail.

I’m wondering what other people would have done if they were in our shoes? Stick with the rack rate at WL, pay a few dollars more at the BWI, or upgrade the room view and save a couple hundred dollars but be tied to the bus system for transportation?

So, the thing about "OMG AKL is so remote!" is because most people measure on-campus distance from the MK. The reality is that MK is the "most remote" park when you look at all of campus, but because it existed first, it's the point of measure.

A few things I'll note:
  • Getting to your AK breakfast is a breeze from AKL, but a nuisance from WL.
  • Getting to your MK breakfast from AKL will take a bit longer, but it's the trade-off for ease of getting to the AK breakfast.
  • It's a nuisance to get to BWI early from either WL or AKL. Draw.
  • WL shares buses with CR for Epcot, DHS and AK.
  • AK does not share buses with anyone, but has two internal stops.
BWI, of the three, probably has the easiest transport just because it doesn't share buses to MK or AK, and you can walk to DHS and Epcot. But it's a very different architectural feel from either WL or AK. Depending on the swimming ability of your 7YO, the pool areas at AKL and WL are better with weaker swimmers/shorter kids. The BWI Clown Pool works better with somewhat stronger swimmers.

I stayed at AKL in April with my two children (then 5 & 13 months). The only thing I would have liked was an alternate form of transportation other than buses but that was largely based on the fact that I had a stroller for the baby (plus a bag of diapers/wipes and all that fun stuff :)). Other than that I loved the resort. It’s beautiful, Boma was awesome, the pool is lovely, and you can see animals from all over the resort. We did two MK days and one day at the other parks but since you’re doing two AK days those will be very short rides.
The buses were very reliable and if it weren’t for lugging around the baby’s things I wouldn’t have thought twice about it. We’re staying at Poly in Feb so we can have the monorail but we’re doing 3 MK days and 1 Epcot - plus we’ll still have the stroller. Once my little one is a few years older we will definitely be back at AKL. It was a great resort! I really think seven is a perfect age to stay there (my 5yo loved it).

Hey, fellow Oregonian! I just stayed at AKL last month and honestly had no issues at all with the location. We were there bordering on the busy holiday season and had no trouble with buses (had to stand, but never missed one because it was too busy). It never felt like an oppressively long ride. AKL's amenities are stellar -- fabulous restaurants and the savanna is just great. Pool isn't mind-blowing, but is quite fine. We never missed a reservation, but if you're concerned, you can grab a "Minnie" Lyft and forego the bus for some extra cash, but it doesn't break the bank. We only used Lyft to go to Universal and it cost about 15 bucks plus tip.

If it was me, I'd stay at AKL. The rooms feel a little dated, but the resort itself is just a delight.

I wouldn't book at rack rate in the first place, because that is exactly why discounts don't become available. There is no incentive to offer discounts when rooms are selling at rack rate.

At this point I'd choose between BWI and AKL based on which theme you like better.

Love AKL! It is a beautiful resort with animals right in your backyard! Would stay there everytime if we could afford it. It has great QS at Mara, much better than what I have heard about Roaring Forks at WL. Also Boma for TS is good, and Jiko and Sanaa depending on your tastes. Two pools to choose from(one at Kidani you can check out with splash area). Great kids activities if you are going to spend a resort day, such as make an animal feeder they use on the Savannah, animal tracking, African drumming, cookie decorating, etc. Your child can collect plastic charms to make a bracelet for each activity.

Ride to AK is maybe 5 min., convenient for your 2 days there. As PP mentioned only longer ride is to MK, which is true for most places -it is not far from HS or Epcot, and no shared buses(just stop next door at Kidani). For earlier brft we often take taxi/Uber if it is at another resort for convenience no matter where we are staying, worth it for $8-12 in most cases. BWI does have the advantage of walking to Epcot or HS, but for the lower price and uniqueness of AKL, I don't think you'll regret it! Our cousins stayed at Poly their first trip last year and were not thrilled(monorail breakdown and construction schedules made it less convenient than they expected, and shared buses with GF) and AKL this year, and were very happy with their choice!

So much to do at the resort. We loved it. How old is your DD

Kae

My family of three (Me, wife, and 7 yo daughter) were booked in a rack rate, standard view room at the Wilderness Lodge for April 25 through May 2, 2018. When the spring discounts came out we looked into different resorts. We found that there were no discounts really available at WL, but were able to locate a pool view room at AKL for approximately $275.00 less (in total, not per night) than what we were planning on spending at WL. We also found a BWI Garden view room for approximately $50.00 more (again in total, not per night) than what we were planning on spending at WL. After some debate, we decided to go ahead and book the AKL room for the savings. However, the remoteness of the AKL has me a bit concerned. I’m wondering if BWI might be a better fit or if maybe I should have stuck with WL.

About us and our trip: We have been to Disney once before and stayed at the Contemporary. We enjoyed the monorail and the ability to walk to MK. No spring discounts were really available at the CR for us this year. This trip we’ve got two days planned at AK, two days at MK, a day each at Epcot and HS, and then a “play it by ear” day. We’ve got preopening breakfast reservations at AK and MK on one day each, then an earlier breakfast at Boardwalk Inn on our Epcot day. Unless we’ve got preopening breakfast reservations we’re not super keen on arriving at the park at rope drop. If we get there within 45 minutes of the park’s opening, we’re happy. Last trip the daughter pretty much pooped out by 2:00 p.m. and we headed back to the room for a short nap and then some pool time. Then we’d grab a later dinner (for us), watch the fireworks, or do something else. We had a fabulous time.

This year I suspect the young one will have some more stamina, but not much more. Last trip was pretty short, one day at MK, AK, and Epcot, so we didn’t ride the busses a lot last trip as we only did one day at AK. For MK and Epcot we either took the monorail or walked. Our experience with the bus system was fine; it was just a bit of a drag when compared to walking back from MK or hopping on the monorail.

I’m wondering what other people would have done if they were in our shoes? Stick with the rack rate at WL, pay a few dollars more at the BWI, or upgrade the room view and save a couple hundred dollars but be tied to the bus system for transportation?

I've stayed at all of these resorts multiple times. In your situation, I would have picked BWI. I can't tell you how nice it is to go back there in the afternoon, rest, go to the pool and then simply walk to a multitude of restaurants (in the EP resort area or EP WS) or see the entertainment on the Boardwalk. Don't get me wrong, I love AKL and WL (they are gorgeous), but BWI is hands-down my DS10's favorite resort (he was just begging me this afternoon to stay there again this year). WL would be my second choice. It's gorgeous, it has great QS and TS options (DS10 LOVED breakfast at WCC and Geyser Point) plus you have the boat to MK, CR and Ft. W, so you have access to some other entertainment and dining options that don't require getting on a bus. We stayed at WL for our past two trips and we relied on Minnie Vans a lot (which were great!), because I can't stand the waits for buses anymore. The only time we've stayed at AKL was for a short pre-cruise trip and a short trip that focused primarily on AK (it was a birthday trip and we booked a tour that used to be offered for CL guests). I, personally, would not stay there for a park-heavy trip, particularly one where you think you want to rest in the afternoon and then go back out at night UNLESS you are comfortable using a Minnie Van or uber/lyft. Otherwise, you will be on a lot of Disney buses.

We stayed at BWI during our most recent stay, and we loved the convenience to Epcot (we were there during F&W and like to hop to Epcot for dinner) and HS. That said, we did miss the feel and vibe of WL (my 8 y/o’s favorite), as well as the boat to MK.

There is really no bad option among you’re your choices! Each has pluses and minuses, it’s really just a matter of personal preference.

We stayed at AKL two years ago for a few days. We only did one day at MK and my kids were 5 and 7 at the time. We didn’t have any issues with the buses or the time it took to get places. I always hear people say that it is so far out...it really isn’t...at least in my opinion. Of course it’s not Poly close to MK but it’s not like it’s an hour away. Enjoy the bus ride, look for gators along side the road and you will be there in no time.

We loved our stay at AKL ( kidani) in September. I was also nervous over everyone saying it felt so remote and buses were terrible. Not the case at all in our opinion. We loved it and buses were actually better than poly. We just booked Jambo/ poly split for next trip. It obviously doesn’t have the close proximity of BWI or WL to a park, but we never felt like it took forever to get anywhere or that we were in no mans land.

Stick with your AKL room! We love both AKL and WL, and you really can't go wrong with either. We found AKL bus service to be the best of any of the WDW resorts we've stayed at. Yes, it's further from MK than some of the others, but it's closer to AK and about the same from EP and DHS. You'll be fine!

Another vote for sticking with AKL. As others have said, AKL is sort of isolated, but we've never found the buses to be a problem. In our two stays and many visits to eat at Boma, it's taken maybe 5 extra minutes to get around compared to other resorts. Also, since the buses only service AKL and Kidani, there's no sharing with any other resort(s). AKL is a beautiful resort with a quiet/relaxing atmosphere and lot of great dining options. I don't think you will regret staying there. Have a great time! :wizard:

So, the thing about "OMG AKL is so remote!" is because most people measure on-campus distance from the MK. The reality is that MK is the "most remote" park when you look at all of campus, but because it existed first, it's the point of measure.

Agreed. I totally reject the “so far away” stuff. We drive most of the time and it doesn’t feel further away than other places.

And I have so many other reasons to reject akl after three stays I don’t need to reject it on that basis.

I’ve had the worst bus waits there (Dh had a huge wait at DHS and doesn’t agree with me), I don’t love the rooms (Dvc rooms at Jambo and kids I), and Savannah view has been a disappointment. Watching from the lobby or outside the lobby has been far more interesting.

I stayed at AKL in April with my two children (then 5 & 13 months). The only thing I would have liked was an alternate form of transportation other than buses but that was largely based on the fact that I had a stroller for the baby

Rental cars are lovely.

If you pick Boardwalk just look at the pics of the pool first. If your daughter doesn’t like clowns it may be a turn off.

Fwiw I despise clowns but love that pool. Pictures of it are so much worse than the reality.

Stayed at AKL multiple times and the remote thing is a non-issue ... because it really isn't. It feels that way because it is supposed to feel like it is in the middle of Africa ............ but it's practically walking distance to AK (no they won't let you). We have never had any bus issues or taking too long to anywhere. Note: We loved staying at WL but drove everywhere but MK due to how long it took.

AKL is like nothing, maybe in this entire country, where you have exotic animals all around the resort. There are lots of viewing spots, balconies etc, even some viewing from the far side of the pool area. It truly transports you somewhere else. The CMs are great, talk to them, many are from all over Africa and love to talk about their countries. Your DD is a perfect age for there, they have lots of activities and crafts to do. LOVE the pool area watering hole theme, with food court, great locker/bathrooms, playground, two hot tubs, bar ......... all right there, barely any walking.

Great gift shop, great dining options (some of Disney's best), lots of lovely sitting spots, stunning lobby and even musical entertainment at times. STAY, it is unique, beautiful and will be a lasting memory.

Agreed. I totally reject the “so far away” stuff. We drive most of the time and it doesn’t feel further away than other places.

And I have so many other reasons to reject akl after three stays I don’t need to reject it on that basis.

I’ve had the worst bus waits there (Dh had a huge wait at DHS and doesn’t agree with me), I don’t love the rooms (Dvc rooms at Jambo and kids I), and Savannah view has been a disappointment. Watching from the lobby or outside the lobby has been far more interesting.

Rental cars are lovely.

Fwiw I despise clowns but love that pool. Pictures of it are so much worse than the reality.
I know lots of folks on here like having a rental car! For me personally a perk of staying on property is having the Disney transport available. Plus, even with a rental car, you still have to park, load/unload strollers, bags, and possibly have to relocate a sleeping baby. I know this issue is very specific to those with very young children, though.

I do not think you made a mistake. AKL feels very remote (which I think is great and very relaxing), but it didn't seem to take any longer to get anywhere on the bus than other resorts we've stayed at. While the rooms seem a little dark they are beautiful. The lobby and all the views are breathtaking. There are very good food options. The Mara food court is my favorite of any resort. BWI has a great location, but the theme at AKL is so much better (IMO), and I definitely wouldn't pay more for BWI.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter