Did I misunderstand something?

MBTigger

Designated Bouncer
So I am back to looking at contracts, and I am seeing a lot of contracts with Jun, Aug, Sept use years that already have points removed from their 2021 UY

I thought that points labelled as "2020" were loaded onto your contract in the year 2020 (So if you have a Jun UY you will be getting your 2020 points loaded in few days) and that you could only borrow points from your 2020 UY until Jun 1 going with my example - actual UY would vary), after which the remainder of any unborrowed points would load and you would THEN be free to borrow from 2021.

Do I have it wrong? am I reading the listings wrong? are the listings, perhaps, not correctly entered?

Thanks in advance
MB

Based on other threads that I've read, my understanding is that the points for any given year are technically always available now; your Use Year and the Stay Dates determine which year the points fall under. For ex, if you have a Dec use year and were planning a trip this 2020 from Dec 1 - 8, you could make your reservations on Jan1, 2020, and the points would come from the 2020 Use Year (because the reservation falls under the Dec 1 2020 - Nov 30 2021 timeframe).

If you wanted to borrow points from next year's points, you could also do that when making the reservation at Jan1, 2020 and those would come from the 2021 Use Year.

In short, the Use Year determines when the stay occurs, not when you make the reservation.

Based on other threads that I've read, my understanding is that the points for any given year are technically always available now; your Use Year and the Stay Dates determine which year the points fall under. For ex, if you have a Dec use year and were planning a trip this 2020 from Dec 1 - 8, you could make your reservations on Jan1, 2020, and the points would come from the 2020 Use Year (because the reservation falls under the Dec 1 2020 - Nov 30 2021 timeframe).

If you wanted to borrow points from next year's points, you could also do that when making the reservation at Jan1, 2020 and those would come from the 2021 Use Year.

In short, the Use Year determines when the stay occurs, not when you make the reservation.
But then you couldn’t sell the contract until after your stay, right?

That's correct. When you purchase a contract you really have bought all the points until it ends, there's just a limitation on how far out you can access them. What points can be used is completely determined by the date of the stay you are booking and not when you are doing the booking.

I was confused about this as well. I almost bid on a contract that had full 2020 and 2021 points. But apparently, it said the 2020 points were banked points, and there were no actual 2020 points.

How is that possible? Wouldn't the banked points be used first?

I have been looking at listings for well over 2 years before finally getting one accepted on Sunday Morning...I'll never claim to be an expert - but I saw some listings that had me scratching my head with the way the available points were listed.

I was confused about this as well. I almost bid on a contract that had full 2020 and 2021 points. But apparently, it said the 2020 points were banked points, and there were no actual 2020 points.

How is that possible? Wouldn't the banked points be used first?
The only thing I can think of is they borrowed the 2020 points for a trip, but changed their trip and ended up banking the 2019 points forward. But, you are correct that banked points are used first in booking. Banking and borrowing are final transactions.

Borrow 2020 points for a trip in 2019, using 2019 and 2020 points. Cancel the trip. 2020 points are now stuck in 2019. Book a smaller trip in 2019 to use up the stuck 2020 points. Bank the 2019 points to 2020.

Repeat a similar series of planning decisions borrowing the 2021 into 2020 for a trip using the 2019 points too. Cancel trip.

End up with every point outside their original use year, and a really backwards "loaded" contract (yet partially stripped) contract.

All points are part of your contact at purchase. The soonest you can access (use) a particular point is 11 months (+7 days) prior to the arrival date of the reservation that uses it.

So I am back to looking at contracts, and I am seeing a lot of contracts with Jun, Aug, Sept use years that already have points removed from their 2021 UY

I thought that points labelled as "2020" were loaded onto your contract in the year 2020 (So if you have a Jun UY you will be getting your 2020 points loaded in few days) and that you could only borrow points from your 2020 UY until Jun 1 going with my example - actual UY would vary), after which the remainder of any unborrowed points would load and you would THEN be free to borrow from 2021.

Do I have it wrong? am I reading the listings wrong? are the listings, perhaps, not correctly entered?

Thanks in advance
MB
The people who own the contracts have booked stays after their 2020 use year begins using borrowed 2021 use year points.

My daughter just bought an AKV contract with Dec use year. All 2020 and 2021 points were stripped. But she feel she got a good price. So hopefully it will be worth it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!