Did Universal Studios Hollywood cancel HHN?

apanopio

Earning My Ears
I can't find any info on the event. Did they just give up on the west coast and decide to concentrate on Orlando? or was the recession and slumping economy too harsh for a high budget event on both coasts?

HHN in Hollywood is done. I was reading another message board and reasons such as lack of profitablity and unruly crowds killed it out west.

I believe the official reason for it being cancelled was "security issues", but lets face it they have Knotts Scary Farm right around the corner and you just cannot compete with that. In addition the Six Flags in CA also have Fright Fests.

Jim

People on the Knott's Scary Farm newsboard are telling me that it is most likely cancelled and they are citing financial disappointments from previous years as the reason.

The fact is Universal just could not beat the compatition. Just think about it Universal had just 5 haunted houses and two shows last year and just one thrill ride in Jurassic Park and the simulated thrills of back to the future. Now think about this Knotts Scary Farm last year had 11 haunted houses, two haunted attractions (a log flume, and a water rapid ride) and 4 shows, one stared Elvira the other was the Hanging that is like Bill and Ted and stared the Crypt Keeper. Plus Knotts has all of those rollar coasters including a top ten coaster in Ghost Rider. Then South from there you got Magic Mountain with like 12 coasters and 7 haunted houses.

This is why Universal could not compete. There just is not as much to do at Universal as there is to do at those two places. At Halloween people want to scream, and Rollar coasters make people scream.

This formula has Universal Orlando scared too, because Busch Gardens Howl-O-Scream could begin to rule Florida October nights in 4 years. Last year Howl-O-Scream Sucked, but they are learning from there mistakes and will get better with time. This years event will have much more to do then last years. So if Busch Gardens starts getting it right, Universal might have to switch there event from Universal to IOA to satisfy the younger scream audience.

I don't think it's the rides that bring people back to Knott's Scary Farm. Sure they have Ghost Rider, but most fans go for the different halloween haunted mazes and shows.

Busch Garden's doesn't go into as much detail as Universal does when it comes to their mazes and shows, so I don't see them as much of a threat; they are more of an alternative or added halloween event while you are in town for HHN. I think Universal Orlando HHN will continue to be the reigning halloween champ of the east cost while Knott's Scary Farm will be the champion out west.

BGT's Howl-O-Scream was more like a wannabe HHN. If they can make it better, then so be it. If not, then I will go to HHN instead.

You have to remember that Howl-O-Scream's first year was last year. Universal has 11 years on them, and Knotts has like 27 years experience. When Universal first started it was called Fright Nights. All what they had was a couple of houses and no scaracter zones. But they have improved every year, and now look at them. The same thing will happen with Busch Gardens, give them 4 years to improve.

I just found out from an official that HHN Hollywood is no more. Security issues was the reason given. I could see that as more of a concern rather than profitability. There were alot of people there when I went last year. Each haunted house had over an hour wait. I think the layout of the park on two hillsides makes it hard to control the crowd.

Oh well. I'll just have to live it up in Orlando at Universal and Busch. Then just spend an extra night at Knott's Scary Farm some other weekend.

I received an email message from one of the monsters in Knott's Scary Farm. He/she/it tells me that alot of the scareactors who worked at Universal Hollywood's HHN are now working for Knott's.

These newly hired monsters are saying that Universal could not make a profit out of their event in HHN since they started 4 years ago so they decided not to hold it this year.

It's hard to imagine, because they did have alot of people attend their event over the years. I think alot of their expenses went to their celebrity endorsers. Rob Zombie, WWF, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Clive Barker, etc. all had their own mazes last year. It's a good thing Universal Orlando comes up with original storylines and ideas for their HHN mazes. Otherwise, HHN Orlando could suffer the same fate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter