Did you Date in High School

I wouldn't call it dating at all. If you liked someone and they liked you it usually ended up as "boyfriend/girlfriend". I had my share...it was talking on the phone every night and seeing each every FRI night during the school year, not much else.

I always equated dating with the kind my mom described or WALLY CLEAVER from Leave it to Beaver.

I can't believe all the stories of high school sweethearts. I know 1 couple that did that and are still together and they seem very unhappy. It's nice to hear all the sweet stories on the other side of it.

Yeah I dated a girl for almost a couple of years before we started to drift. I planned to go to college and explore, she wanted to settle down and have kids to soon for me. ************* after that, I didn't want to feel "trapped" again.

Yes. I sowed my wild oats while I was young, which is good because now I'm a boring old divorcee with 2 kids. I started dating when I was 12, by the time I was 14 I had a policy of picking up someone new every weekend, dating them a few times over the course of the week, never settling down. The only qualifications I looked for were that the men had a nice car and enough money that they didn't mind blowing some on taking me nice places and buying me nice things. I had a semi-serious relationship the summer I turned 16, I really thought he was the one, but he was 9 years older than me and had just gotten out of the Navy, we were in different places in life I guess. But after that I slowed down a bit, I was more interested in seeking out men I could have serious relationships with, before that I was just looking for a good time. Then my now ex-husband and I started dating when I was 17, we were married 2 years later.

My parents said I had to be 16 before dating. I dated a guy the last part of sophomore year. That lasted maybe 3-4 months. Junior and Senior years, I dated a new guy. After high school, he went off to college, and that was the end of that.

I went on individual dates occasionally in high school and college, but didn't have a "boyfriend" until after college.

I didn't tend to like the guys who liked me. After school I think my friendship pool shrank and I was more motivated to give guys a chance and date them long enough to give it a chance.

I had a few non serious relationships at the beginning of high school then I had my first serious relationship the middle two years of high school. Started dating my Dh he summer before I started my last year, he was 22 I was 17. Moved into our first apartment six months later, me still in high school. That was 21 years ago, still happily married with three kids.

My son who is now 19 didn’t start dating until he was 16, been dating he same girl off and on the whole time with maybe a few casual relationships in between. My older dd started dating her boyfriend back in 8th grade, both 13 years old, they are still together 3 years later at 16. I often wonder if they will regret spending all their teenage years in such a serious relationship but they love each other and are very close, I’d been very surprised at this point if they broke up.

I had a few but I was pretty shy and naive. Then for years I've heard "I would have gone out with you" or " I wish you would have asked me". Why didn't you ladies speak up back then!

Went on exactly 3 dates w/ a fourth removed cousin from the islands until we realised our family ties-yuck and poo, pass me the demned Listerine!!!

He was a nice guy but when we realised we were related after I'd already kissed him (Help me, Jaysus!!!) swore me off dating West Indians for life, anyone from Barbados or Jamaica specifically, and men in general, in favour of my books until I met the ex:lmao:.

Should have added his type to the list earlier on but well there you are;).

We (my cousin and I) meet at funerals and wedding now and are happy to discuss the doings of our descendants and politely move on.

Last edited:
Speaking of young dating. My first year in college they offered two credits to take a college sponsored, two week trip to Europe. There were 16 girls and 17 boys. At first there wasn't much in connection going on, but, hormones and alcohol are the ultimate ice breakers. Our chaperone was the President of the College and his wife, so our parents were very happy to have us go out and soak up some culture. What we soaked up was rum, gin, whiskey and vodka.

About the third day of the trip, one of the boys had to go home because he was homesick. No snickering now. So we had even numbers 16 and 16 so we quickly formed couples and for the rest of the trip it was you never see one without the other. Now many of us had permanent boy or girl friends at home. So when we returned home we flew into Montreal and took a bus from there to Vermont where we all got off the bus directly into the arms of our respective significant other.

Some of us had no steady connection so there were a couple of marriages that came out of that trip, one of my best friends hooked up with his eventual wife. They have been married now for 48 years. The others I lost track of, but, I just used this for an example of just how fickle teens can be. However, I can tell you, what happened in Europe, stayed in Europe. (until now) I kept the secret for 50 years, that's commendable, I think.

Went on exactly 3 dates w/ a fourth removed cousin from the islands until we realised our family ties-yuck and poo, pass me the demned Listerine!!!

He was a nice guy but when we realised we were related after I'd already kissed him (Help me, Jaysus!!!) swore me off dating West Indians for life, anyone from Barbados or Jamaica specifically, and men in general, in favour of my books until I met the ex:lmao:.

Should have added his type to the list earlier on but well there you are;).

We (my cousin and I) meet at funerals and wedding now and are happy to discuss the doings of our descendants and politely move on.

LOL

I did, but not much. Did not have a “steady” girlfriend at any time in HS.

Edit: that’s not true. I did have a girlfriend from another school for about a month my Senior year. It’s been so long, I almost forgot that.

Nope. I was too busy being completely hung up on my best friend during my junior and senior years. I had many a mix CD of unrequited love songs I’d cry in the car to :sad2: Now, a decade later, he’s happily married to his husband and they’re both important people in my life, so at least there’s that :goodvibes

You and I were living similar existences a decade ago. Except it turned out that my best friend evidently also had feelings for me, which I did not realize/find out until shortly before her family was to move overseas. I was always lacking in confidence, so I never tried to make a move. Had another possible shot a year or two later when she returned from overseas, but again was too worried about losing the friendship. Now we are married to other people and no longer friends. I wish I could say the what if's didn't cross my mind still.

No, not in high school or college. I wasn't really interested in dating until I met "the one" about 6 months before I finished graduate school.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter