Did you/Do you have a non traditional lullaby/bed time song?

My kids have a fine appreciation of Paul Simon (and Garfunkel) from their times as babies. I preferred Me and Juilio......and Loves Me Like A Rock, dh preferred The Boxer. We weren't traditional lullaby type parents, we just sang the songs we liked. Sometimes dh would even break out the guitar (accoustic).

I was just coming to say that Rock of Ages was one that I sang to my sons all the time.

Janis Joplin's Mercedes Benz song also made a few appearances.

Down to the River to Pray, and Didn't Leave Nobody but the Baby were also favorites.

We had a few:
Sweet Baby James by James Taylor
Bushel and a Peck from Guys and Dolls
Circle Game by Joni Mitchell

And my youngest would often be soothed by Swedish Death Metal. I didn't ask questions, it just worked LOL

I sang a lot of traditional lullabies to all my kids along with several hymns, but for my middle child who was born in December I sang White Christmas for a very long time. Not traditional but very quiet and calming.

With my DD it was "You are my Sunshine" but she didn't really want to be sung to often. She liked books more.

With my DS it was "You are my Sunshine" but also "Small World" and 'Casey Jr" from Dumbo.

my dad owned a paiting and roofing business when i was little so when he would sing baby bunting, it was always to wrap the paint machine in at the end.

Dad was gone for miltiary manovers and mom tried to sing it and sang it the "right" way and I remember just crying a fit becuase she sang it wrong, to the point where she had to call dad's hotel and find out WHY i was upset at the song!

It's still a joke to this day

DD likes it when I sing Beautiful Baby by Darius Rucker to her.

When she was a colicky infant, I could alqays count on a little Johnny Cash to soothe her. I she's a rebel.

Last edited:
I don't remember singing to DD but we danced/swayed around to some Travis Tritt songs at bedtime.

For DGS we play "Goodnight" by the Beatles.

One kid gets "You are my sunshine" and one kid gets "Somewhere over the rainbow"

Our repetoire included

Somewhere over the rainbow
You are my sunshine
Come Away With Me- Nora Jones
Baby Mine-from Dumbo
Love Me Tender-Elvis, but Nora Jones version

Miss those days....Of course two of mine would cry when I started to sing, I keep telling myself it’s because my voice was so sweet , maybe not though! Haha!

The Way You Look Tonight. I don’t have kids of my own but many that I love.

I call it my Secret Baby Maneuver. I don’t sing it but if there is a crying baby I take him/her, hold them somwe are cheek to cheek, sway back and forth and hum that song. They calm within 30 seconds, no matter how they’re screaming.

I think it’s the vibration from the humming and the swaying more than the song but hey, it works. Why argue with success? ;)

Many of those already mentioned, plus some traditional folk songs, like My Bonnie Lies Over The Ocean and I’ve Been Working On The Railroad.

Also the Beatles’ Yellow Submarine, and My Favorite Things and Edelweiss from Sound of Music.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter