Did you/Do you have a non traditional lullaby/bed time song?

When my daughter was young, I remember singing My Girl to her. I honestly don't remember if it was at bedtime or not though. She's 28 now, married, with a son of her own.

Just remembered a second song I would sing to my son. Surfer Girl by the Beach Boys, but I changed it to Surfer Boy.

Yeah, definitely an odd one: Cruiscín Lán. It's an Irish Gaelic drinking song, an ode to a little brown jug which is always full!
My Dad was a Trad fiddler, and this song has a simple repetitive rhythm if you slow it down a bit. Both my kids demanded it when they were sleepy, but luckily Irish is a language few Americans understand, so we didn't get funny looks if I sang it softly in public.

I was visiting a cousin once in England, and one of my Dad's sisters was there. The cousin's baby was getting fussy, and I picked him up and started singing it, in Irish as I always do. My Aunt was nearly ROTFL, that I'd sing a drinking song to put a baby to sleep!

We (mostly I) used both "Downeaster Alexa" and "Goodnight, My Angel" (both Billy Joel songs) for our daughter. And "You'll Be In My Heart" (the Tarzan song) for our son.

I sing "We Love You, Conrad" from Bye Bye Birdie, but I put their names into it instead of "Conrad." Almost every night for over a decade now.

I don't even know how well known, or lessor known, this is.
Many years ago now... I sang the " I, L, O, V, E, Y, O, U" song.
This thread brings up some nice memories!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter