Dieting at Disney World

Kids meals are your friends, you can even get them at TS if you want. I always eat a kids meal at QS because I just don't eat a lot and even those sometimes are too big for me. Get fruit instead of fries. Water, water and more water. Don't be fooled by the fact that you walk long distances at WDW, yes you will walk miles but most of those are not calorie burning miles. You are not usually walking fast enough to get your heart rate up and you spend a lot of time standing. I actually still do a morning work out every day when I go to WDW, I used to jog around the resort but I blew out my knees so now it's a fast walk and then I follow that up with a little yoga. Counting calories is hard because they aren't listed anywhere but if you have been doing it awhile, you pretty much know your portion sizes and to stay away from sauces and cheeses and fried food. Every restaurant has something healthy on the menu and there are fruit stands in all the parks.
Excellent post! Very realistic comments about the relationship between walking and calories.

I am counting calories, too, and am at the parks pretty regularly. Definitely agree that the walking will NOT offset all the food you'll be tempted to eat but if you make good choices, you should be able to enjoy a treat or two and come out the other side without a gain.

I've found the salad dressings to be loaded in calories so be sure and really check those out prior to ordering. A salad is not always the best option on a menu, as I'm sure you've found in your calorie counting. I try to stick with lean protein, skip the carb side and sub with a veggie instead, and bring snacks with me. I like many of the kids meals options, too, and think Satu'li has the best adult meal options without being boring.

I also drink loads of water and bring my refillable Brita bottle. If you're going in in the next couple of weeks, you will sweat out SO much in the humidity so drinking tons of water and eating well will make you feel so much better!

The best advice is from the Unofficial Guide... Only buy food with coins your kids fish out of any fountains. :)

I lost over 30 lbs in one year with no diet at all. I exercised regularly & sloooooowed down my eating pace, stopping at the first sign of fullness. But, I absolutely ate everything I wanted, including desserts.

Then there was a Disney trip mid-year. I didn't panick but I was prepared to pass on my food I couldn't eat (my stomach shrank) or throw it away. Yes, I said throw away that very expensive food (this is a mental state you have to prepare for & know your health is worth more than this food.). This is also not a good time to be on any sort of dining plan where there's any rules about how, where, or when you order.

What I found is that I actually needed to eat 4 times per day (usually 2 small breakfasts about 2-3 hours apart then lunch & dinner). I got back after 10 days & had lost 1 pound, which wasn't a goal or expectation but rather a surprise. I think it was all the heat & walking. I did a few apps as meals also & stay away from all the fry side options (unless where they're actually good like Dlux Burger). That's the beauty of only eating what you like with a small stomach, you don't waste stomach space on what doesn't taste good. I gave up soda years ago, but I adore flavored unsweetened brewed tea (not the nasty flavor sugar syrups they try & add) and there is a fantastic passion fruit tea at Nomad lounge (they'll ask at order if you want syrup...doesn't need it) & they serve tapas/apps that I used for my meal. They also always give me a to go cup of the tea as I leave.

Last edited:

Congratulations on your weight loss. I agree with previous poster that told you to remind yourself it is ok to throw away food once you are full. (Especially since you are traveling solo and realistically not going to want to carry around your leftovers) I sometimes have a hard time doing this because it feels wasteful, but the alternative is consuming more calories than you need. Especially if you splurge on a treat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter