Diff Resorts/Diff UY

EM Lawrence

DIS Veteran
If I plan to eventually own points at more than one resort, is keeping the same use year still ideal?

I totally understand keeping the same UY if you have more than one contract at the same resort, but can someone help me think through the pros and cons of UY at different resorts?

If I plan to eventually own points at more than one resort, is keeping the same use year still ideal?

I totally understand keeping the same UY if you have more than one contract at the same resort, but can someone help me think through the pros and cons of UY at different resorts?
If you ever want to combine points for 7 month reservations it would be easier having the same UY.

So if I have the same UY at different resorts at the 7 month mark, I can make one reservation using all of the points “pooled” together? Is that the way it works?

But if they are different UY, I would have to book some nights with one contract and then other nights with the next contract? And then call MS and ask them to link the reservations?

So if I have the same UY at different resorts at the 7 month mark, I can make one reservation using all of the points “pooled” together? Is that the way it works?

But if they are different UY, I would have to book some nights with one contract and then other nights with the next contract? And then call MS and ask them to link the reservations?
Correct. With a different UY you would either make 2 separate reservations or have to transfer points between the accounts.

One UY is one membership. Two UY is two memberships, it is like being different owners,

If you have two, yes, you have to transfer for a single reservation, which means a call to MS to not only book, but to also modify.

Unless you want to use each by themselves, keeping it the same, is easier,

I have a few UY but use each on its one which means sometimes I am borrowing in one UY while have points in the other,

I would recommend different UYs if you intend to travel at different times of the year and don’t want to worry about your banking window should you need to cancel. I have 4 - use April UY for May travel, June UY for fall, Oct UY for December and Dec UY for Hilton Head only. If I ever need to ‘cross’ UY - I’ve had no problems getting MS to link the 2 readies so that I don’t need to switch rooms.

...can someone help me think through the pros and cons of UY at different resorts?
Different geographies may favor multiple UY.

That is, your typical travel windows to WDW may be different than your windows to California and Hawaii. (I know ours are!) If so, and if you plan to visit the West Coast and Pacific locations frequently, you might consider a different UY for each destination.

I'm very happy with our OCT UY for WDW but wish I had purchased a small contract at the Grand Cal with an APR UY. I backed out of a really nice Grand Cal resale contact because I was afraid of not being able to merge my points together. I regret that decision! We should have gone through with the Grand Cal resale!!

You can't link two reservations at different resorts made with different contracts. But if you are at one resort, you can ask the CM to add "continuing reservation" to both of them with the opposite reservation number on it to try to stay in the same villa.

If you transfer points from one contract to another, the transferred contract will maintain it's UY and resort. You cannot borrow transferred points, but you can bank them. You cannot transfer banked or borrowed points.

We already own 100pts (Dec UY) at the Poly right now and has worked well for us but now that we have a little boy, we are looking to add a small contract (75pt-ish) at BLT for the bigger rooms when we go with family. We are looking to bank and borrow with the BLT contract when we occasionally book bigger rooms. I am a teacher so I have to travel according to the school calendar and while the Dec UY has worked well for us for the most part, my husband's work has started having deadlines that work against us going for April school vacation in the last couple of years. Lately, we have gone in December and June, however, August is looking like a good month to travel because the French (the parent company he works for is based there) pretty much closes down for the whole month there for holiday so he is not busy at all. Do you think it would be a good decision to opt for a different UY for BLT? I was thinking April or June UY would work best since all the times we are looking to travel is within the banking window. Plus we are anticipating using the contracts by themselves and most likely not using them together at the 7 month window.

We already own 100pts (Dec UY) at the Poly right now and has worked well for us but now that we have a little boy, we are looking to add a small contract (75pt-ish) at BLT for the bigger rooms when we go with family. We are looking to bank and borrow with the BLT contract when we occasionally book bigger rooms. I am a teacher so I have to travel according to the school calendar and while the Dec UY has worked well for us for the most part, my husband's work has started having deadlines that work against us going for April school vacation in the last couple of years. Lately, we have gone in December and June, however, August is looking like a good month to travel because the French (the parent company he works for is based there) pretty much closes down for the whole month there for holiday so he is not busy at all. Do you think it would be a good decision to opt for a different UY for BLT? I was thinking April or June UY would work best since all the times we are looking to travel is within the banking window. Plus we are anticipating using the contracts by themselves and most likely not using them together at the 7 month window.

It would make sense as long as that is your plan. Just keep in mind that right now, the borrowing rule has been temporarily changed and you will only be allowed to borrow 50% of the contract,

We don’t know how long it will be in play but keep that in mind.

So, are you saying you anticipate using the BLT contract only every 3 years? Or more likely every 2?

So, are you saying you anticipate using the BLT contract only every 3 years? Or more likely every 2?

More like every two regardless if family comes that year or not. I’m thinking we will use our Poly points one year and then our BLT points the next year. Use banked and current points if we do not need bigger accommodations. Only borrow if we need a two bedroom.

More like every two regardless if family comes that year or not. I’m thinking we will use our Poly points one year and then our BLT points the next year. Use banked and current points if we do not need bigger accommodations. Only borrow if we need a two bedroom.

Got it! Then I think it's all good. The problem with every 3rd year is stranded points. So, I was going to advise against that!

Personally, I would probably stick with the same UY. That way you could eaily use them together at 7 months if you wanted to book with less banking/borrowing (assuming availability of course but 2 BR in the summer shouldn't be too hard to get). As long as you know by the end of July if you're going to need to cancel you're fine. Yes that still leaves a small amount of time not covered if you had to cancel last minute but if you're cancelling in that last 30 days they're going to go into holding and won't be bankable anyways.

Personally, I would probably stick with the same UY. That way you could eaily use them together at 7 months if you wanted to book with less banking/borrowing (assuming availability of course but 2 BR in the summer shouldn't be too hard to get). As long as you know by the end of July if you're going to need to cancel you're fine. Yes that still leaves a small amount of time not covered if you had to cancel last minute but if you're cancelling in that last 30 days they're going to go into holding and won't be bankable anyways.

That is true. This is the first year we decided to make a quick trip down in late August for the Halloween party (decided to cancel the other day) and had the same thought when I booked the trip that I could still decide by July whether to go or not and still be able to bank my points.

See, I’m thinking of doing a different resort and a different use year. We usually plan 2 trips a year and at different times, and I feel like the points are kind of a gift I could get twice a year. I was thinking December since I should have a June.

See, I’m thinking of doing a different resort and a different use year. We usually plan 2 trips a year and at different times, and I feel like the points are kind of a gift I could get twice a year. I was thinking December since I should have a June.
When do you plan to go to WDW?

In the past I have gone in September and January, pretty much every year. Sometimes with other trips in between. I usually only go 4-5 days at a time. Additionally, I am okay if I never go in the summer again.

This year I plan on going in December for 2 weeks and skipping the Sept trip because I’m pregnant. I want to do a road trip over Christmas break with stops at Hilton head and Vero Beach and of course DW.

I bought BWV with my fall trips in mind.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter