Difference between WDW & Disneyland

Summer2018

DIS Veteran
We live in the northeast, and we have been to Disney World many times. We are considering moving to California in a few years. We plan on taking a trip out west stopping to see family in Arizona for a couple of days then on to Southern California to explore some beach towns. While we are there, we may as well visit Disneyland.
How are WDW and Disneyland the same? Different? Are there deluxe resorts comparable to WDW in Disneyland?

someone will drop in with a WDW link for you
on page 2 on this site a fellow WDW visitor has a thread with info

But as a literature teacher, who for decades as taught Romeo and Juliet and asked why by decades of freshman....I have always had to think outside of the 80s, 90s, turn of the century pop culture box....so here is my answer on how they are different

Take that pretty soft, huge comforter you have on your bed, one that you chose in colors, patterns and warmth. Spread it out on the living room floor. Thatis WDW. Now go to the closet, the trunk, or the attic and pull out Grandma's quilt and spread it out on the living room floor next to the modern store bought comforter. That is Disneyland.

That is the difference.

PP got to the heart of the matter. In a more technical respect, DLR requires less pre-planning. I've never gone to WDW buy my understanding is that you all have to pre-plan your parks, meals, and FP. At DLR the parks are close enough together that if you have park-hoppers you can decide on a whim where you want to go, most dining reservations (with the exceptions of show packages) are readily available so you can make those reservations only a week or two ahead (or maybe even the night before) unless you're going at a particularly busy time. Counter service options are often just as good as the restaurants and there's a lot of variety, so we typically only make one ADR per trip, if that. You can't get FP until you actually get to the park, so there's no need to plan those ahead of time either, other than having an idea what you want to prioritize. Things are generally less resort-centered than WDW from what I've heard. There are three nice hotels but they're not really central to the experience and lots of people choose to stay off-site. Things in the parks are more tightly packed together so I suppose that means less walking in theory, but it also means more congestion (DCA is not so bad). People say there's less of a "bubble" because you can see the city right outside the parks (you can't see it from inside the parks unless you're on the ferris wheel or something).

There's a master thread with info about DLR for WDW vets. I don't have the link on hand but I expect someone will post it for you, or you can find it in a search.

We live in NJ and been to WDW too many times to count and Disneyland only once. People say it is small and you will hate it. That is why we loved it. Walk from the hotel right into both parks. No busses, no shuttles. It is the best of 4 parks in 2. It will play tricks with you at first because you will think you are in the MK but not. I think Disney Signature restaurants have DL beat. But they are better at counter service and snacks. While people love the CMs I do think they have a stick up thier you know what when you mention WDW. Some rides and shows are better and some are not. The fun is comparing and doing the things WDW doesn’t have.

We are going again Easter week and the family is so excited. I say DO IT.

DL is Walt's original park, his original dream, and the only park he lived to see and walk in. WDW grew out of that dream. Disney legend Tony Baxter says it so well, "Disneyland was built to be charming; Disneyworld was built to be awesome." Both are amazing in their own way. And the differences make each park special.

someone will drop in with a WDW link for you
on page 2 on this site a fellow WDW visitor has a thread with info

But as a literature teacher, who for decades as taught Romeo and Juliet and asked why by decades of freshman....I have always had to think outside of the 80s, 90s, turn of the century pop culture box....so here is my answer on how they are different

Take that pretty soft, huge comforter you have on your bed, one that you chose in colors, patterns and warmth. Spread it out on the living room floor. Thatis WDW. Now go to the closet, the trunk, or the attic and pull out Grandma's quilt and spread it out on the living room floor next to the modern store bought comforter. That is Disneyland.

That is the difference.
A similar sentiment is shared in this recent DIS article:

Meeting Disneyland – The Eldest Son: http://www.wdwinfo.com/walt-disney-world/meeting-disneyland-the-eldest-son/

:wizard:

We live in the northeast, and we have been to Disney World many times. We are considering moving to California in a few years. We plan on taking a trip out west stopping to see family in Arizona for a couple of days then on to Southern California to explore some beach towns. While we are there, we may as well visit Disneyland.
How are WDW and Disneyland the same? Different? Are there deluxe resorts comparable to WDW in Disneyland?
That is really hard to answer in a short forum message. I will say a few things that hopefully contribute something useful:

1. WDW and DLR are similar in that they both are overflowing with Disney magic

2. WDW and DLR are different in that they are a different size physically

3. WDW and DLR are similar in that they both are overflowing with Disney magic

4. WDW and DLR are different in that they appeal primarily to a different demographic mix (WDW to vacationers and DLR to local day trippers)

5. WDW and DLR are similar in that they both are overflowing with Disney magic

6. WDW and DLR are different regarding weather. I personally prefer the weather at DLR except in Spring time. As you are aware weather can significantly impact a trip.

7. WDW and DLR are similar in that they both are overflowing with Disney magic

8. WDW and DLR are different in that WDW tends to focus on (and excel at) the whole resort experience. DLR tends to focus on (and excel) the experience inside the parks.

9. WDW and DLR are similar in that they both are overflowing with Disney magic

Many differences and many similarities.

Disneyland and DCA are across the street from each other. WDW is spread out between 4 parks and 2 waterparks.

Fastpass works differently at each.

WDW requires planning.
WDW has magic and more advantages staying onsite. On site isn't as important at Disneyland.

For attractions
Disneyland/DCA has Cars Land with Radiator Springs, WOC, Indiana Jones ,Pirates that stands out. WDW has Splash, Test Tract that stands out. Things like Big Thunder, Peter Pan, Soarin are similar.

We love both for different reasons.

What people say that?
People I asked. You want names?
You know what? When someone asks a question like the PP @nutshell, it is fair to know to what you are referring. A website? Forum posters? Your friends? Other? Who are the "people" in your comment?

It seems common to me for certain folks to say things like "WDW is better than DLR because..." and then, when you drill down, they have never even been to DLR. All they are doing is parroting what they have heard from others. That sort of feedback is ignorant and worthless. @nutshell was likely just trying to figure out the knowledge level (or ignorance level) of someone who would say such a thing.

You chose to give a snarky response to a fair question. That is on you. Not the PP.

You know what? When someone asks a question like the PP @nutshell, it is fair to know to what you are referring. A website? Forum posters? Your friends? Other? Who are the "people" in your comment?

It seems common to me for certain folks to say things like "WDW is better than DLR because..." and then, when you drill down, they have never even been to DLR. All they are doing is parroting what they have heard from others. That sort of feedback is ignorant and worthless. @nutshell was likely just trying to figure out the knowledge level (or ignorance level) of someone who would say such a thing.

You chose to give a snarky response to a fair question. That is on you. Not the PP.

Thanks

I appreciate the factual feedback. I expect that there will be a couple more WDW vacations in my future.
However, once we move out west, I doubt that we will fly across the country to go to WDW when we have Disneyland in our backyard.
Our favorite parks in WDW are Magic Kingdom and Epcot. Hollywood is going in a direction that we aren’t interested in and we could give or take AK and DS. It appears that from what people have posted, Epcot is all that we will be missing. Am I correct?

You will miss World Showcase and some of the unique Epcot attractions, which have no close comparison. But there are other rides and attractions on DL and DCA which have no close WDW alternative.

If you want to eat at the table service restaurants, I think it’s a good idea to make ADRs a DL—we always do. But I usually make them maybe a month out. The dining packages for seating at parades, WoC, etc sometimes require more than that if you’re going during a busy time. But the reservations only open up 60 days in advance, I believe.

There are currently only 3 Disney-owned hotels at DLR. The Disneyland Hotel and Grand Californian are priced like WDW deluxe resorts, for sure. There are plenty of people who love them, but I feel like the “resort experience” is more of a WDW concept. The closeness of the off-property hotels will be a surprise coming from WDW—there’s not much of a “bubble.” It’s true that many of the motels on Harbor are closer to the entrance than the DL hotel, and because of the longer park hours in Anaheim, many people really only sleep and shower at their hotels and spend the whole da in the parks.

They are just simply different beasts. Each coast has people who love it best, but they are unique. I find so many things to love at DL, and it will always be my “home park.” But that doesn’t mean that WDW isn’t also great—it’s just different. HydroGuy’s wise advice that if you expect them to be the same, you’ll be disappointed is true. They’re different, but both are magical.

You will miss World Showcase and some of the unique Epcot attractions, which have no close comparison. But there are other rides and attractions on DL and DCA which have no close WDW alternative.

If you want to eat at the table service restaurants, I think it’s a good idea to make ADRs a DL—we always do. But I usually make them maybe a month out. The dining packages for seating at parades, WoC, etc sometimes require more than that if you’re going during a busy time. But the reservations only open up 60 days in advance, I believe.

There are currently only 3 Disney-owned hotels at DLR. The Disneyland Hotel and Grand Californian are priced like WDW deluxe resorts, for sure. There are plenty of people who love them, but I feel like the “resort experience” is more of a WDW concept. The closeness of the off-property hotels will be a surprise coming from WDW—there’s not much of a “bubble.” It’s true that many of the motels on Harbor are closer to the entrance than the DL hotel, and because of the longer park hours in Anaheim, many people really only sleep and shower at their hotels and spend the whole da in the parks.

They are just simply different beasts. Each coast has people who love it best, but they are unique. I find so many things to love at DL, and it will always be my “home park.” But that doesn’t mean that WDW isn’t also great—it’s just different. HydroGuy’s wise advice that if you expect them to be the same, you’ll be disappointed is true. They’re different, but both are magical.
We are only morning park people. We really spend a lot of time at our resort, naps in room, pool time, etc. We are all about the deluxe resort experience. We would most likely stay at the Grand Californian. Is there a monorail from there to the parks? I noticed a modern looking monorail in photos.

We are only morning park people. We really spend a lot of time at our resort, naps in room, pool time, etc. We are all about the deluxe resort experience. We would most likely stay at the Grand Californian. Is there a monorail from there to the parks? I noticed a modern looking monorail in photos.

The monorail at Disneyland was basically developed as an attraction, and then they extended it to the Disneyland Hotel. The Disneyland Hotel was remodeled, removing the shops that went up to the monorail (Disneyland Hotel used to be across a busy street). Then Downtown Disney was built and the monorail goes to the end of Downtown Disney. The Grand Californian never had a monorail stop, but it opens into California Adventure (great for those Grizzly River Run rides then skip back to the room for a change, if needed). It is pretty close to the main entrances to both parks so does not need a monorail.

Also, it is great that you are morning people. There is no fast pass for Peter Pan or the other dark rides in Fantasyland, so go early to get in the most popular attractions and fastpass the others. People tend to really start packing in around 11am/noon, in my experience.

The monorail at Disneyland was basically developed as an attraction, and then they extended it to the Disneyland Hotel. The Disneyland Hotel was remodeled, removing the shops that went up to the monorail (Disneyland Hotel used to be across a busy street). Then Downtown Disney was built and the monorail goes to the end of Downtown Disney. The Grand Californian never had a monorail stop, but it opens into California Adventure (great for those Grizzly River Run rides then skip back to the room for a change, if needed). It is pretty close to the main entrances to both parks so does not need a monorail.

Also, it is great that you are morning people. There is no fast pass for Peter Pan or the other dark rides in Fantasyland, so go early to get in the most popular attractions and fastpass the others. People tend to really start packing in around 11am/noon, in my experience.
All good news. We will be finishing up when the crowds arrive.

I appreciate the factual feedback. I expect that there will be a couple more WDW vacations in my future.
However, once we move out west, I doubt that we will fly across the country to go to WDW when we have Disneyland in our backyard.
Our favorite parks in WDW are Magic Kingdom and Epcot. Hollywood is going in a direction that we aren’t interested in and we could give or take AK and DS. It appears that from what people have posted, Epcot is all that we will be missing. Am I correct?
Others have given some feedback here. Having been to four Disney resorts now, I can say that the DL park is the best theme park in the world. Better than MK. There is of course nothing like Epcot at DLR or really anywhere. I myself have always held DHS as my second favorite WDW park. But that was while they still had LMA and GMR. I am afraid the new changes will change the vibe of DHS.

I liked AK and Epcot and would have a hard time saying which I like more. We can call it a tie for 3rd.

DCA has a DHS feel to it (the old DHS) of LMA and GMR. So it may or may not work for you. But you just have to see World of Color. That is unlike any Disney show anywhere ever. My favorite. But my DLR brethren tend to prefer Fantasmic to WOC.

The Paint the Night Parade was at DL and is now moving to DCA in April. PTN is the best Disney parade ever IMO. Most of my DLR brethren will agree with me on this except for the most nostalgic of Electrical Parade lovers LOL.

So in two months DCA will have the best Disney parade and the best night time show of all the Disney parks.

So, yes, you will miss Epcot. No way to slice it. But you will have some new things not offered at WDW which will hopefully make up for that!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!