Differences in rides?

J

JenniferW

Just picked up a brosure showing the park and had a few questions...

1. Indiana Jones ride looked like a rollercoaster and not the experience like in Disneyland in California (CA), can anyone actually compare them, theming, storyline, etc.

2. The castle, while similar is definitely different more beautiful, how is it different than Disneyworld, Florida (FLA) and Ca?

3. It's a Small World- looked a bit different from the pics, how it is compared to CA and FLA.

4. Also, if you know of other rides that are different than CA and FLA parks I would love to hear aobut it.

Am hoping to go in May when my hubby goes to England on business.

Jenn

Just about all of the 'same' rides are different, some more so than others:

The Paris Indy ride is nothing like the Indy ride in Disneyland (although I wish it was!). It is a relatively small roller coaster, and its main claim to fame is that it was the first ride in a Disney theme park which took you upside down. It is well themed (even though it is a off-the-shelf coaster) around a ruined temple with ta queue line which snakes through a bamboo grove. There are various archeological-type equipment decorasting the set, including a couple of jeeps from the first Indy film. A couple of years ago the ride underwent a bit of a transformation so that the you sit backwards in the 'mine-cars' which form the coaster. I like the coaster, although it is a rough little beast which shakes you around a fair amount!

The Paris castle is quite simply the best castle that Disney have yet built! It is a wonderful sight, with a walk-through attraction and a few shops inside, and a wonderful dragon sleeping underneath (or is he really sleeping...). It's almost worth a visit to Paris just to see the castle.

Another attraction that is significatly different is Space Mountain. It shares its name and the fact that it is an indoor coaster with its cousins in the USA, but apart from that it is entirely different and entirely better! It is a highly themed, launched coaster with on-board synchronised orchestral score, several inversions and an amazing 'working' cannon which dominates the outside of the building.

Other famous Disney attractions were improved when built in Paris: Big Thunder takes place entirely on an island in the middle of a lake, Phantom Manor (ie Haunted Mansion) has been given a storyline and re-scored and Pirates has changed the order of its scenes (I think it has a more coherent storyline now) and has a second plunge added. Overall the Paris park is more richly themed, and in the opinion of many to be the best Magic Kingdom that Disney has yet built.

Regards

Rob

Rob's reply covers most things :) but it is worth noting that the DLP castle is the Sleeping Beauty castle whereas as you know, the WDW castle is the Cinderella Castle.

Also, there is no Splash Mountain in DLP regrettably, but then they do have a drop ( nowhere near as big but fun) on Pirates.

If you have small children it is worth mentioning that Snow White is a little more scary than in WDW.

Fantasyland also has the cute Casey Jr ride as well as the "Le Pays des Contes de Fees" - a little storybook boat ride, quite sweet but a liitle too threadbare in places to my mind.

There is also "Les Voyages de Pinocchio" in Fantasyland - I like this cute little ride which really has the same track type and sophistication as Snow White or Toad, but contains rather more detail.

BTMR unquestionably has more thrill than the WDW BTMR - I hesitate to say it's better as I like both and I like the fact that they are different.

I have been to DLP with both firends and family and although I don't ride Indy myself (well someone has to hold the coats and cameras :o !!) none of them have liked this ride that much. They all complained that their heads were knocked around on this.

.. just noticed you asked about Its A Small World! This is very similar but has much more of a grand entrance and commences outside - there is also an added section to visit once you have completed the boat ride, just before you exit. I hesitate to give too much detail as we enjoyed discovering these little extras.

Speaking of which, Adventureland has a great labyrinth of tunnels, bridges and caves to explore - even better fun at night!

Just to elaborate a litle further, I think the real triumph of this park, as Shirley hints at, is in the little scenic details - the small trails, winding paths, unlooked-for scenery and immensely picturesque, almost 'natural' look (as much as a theme park can look natural, LOL!). There is a lot of greenery around the park and it is easy to get side-tracked (especially in Adventureland) as you explore. There is so much vivid architecture and elaborate theming in places like the Castle, Cafe Agrabah, the Discovery and Liberty Arcades (much of the park is actually under cover, compared to the US versions) and most of Discoveryland (it's not called Tomorrowland here, for some reason) that it really rewards a slow and detailed study as you go round.

Thanks! Am in the beginning stages of planning a trip so I'm sure I'll have lots of questions for everybody.

Jenn

thanks for the great descriptions of the DLP rides. I just hope Fastpass works as well as in WDW. My husband and I work as a team (one get in line with our kid while the other gets a Fastpass for a nearby ride). My son is looking forward to the sleeping dragon under the Castle.

....... as well as going into the cave itself, there's a little shop within the castle walls which has a little balcony and you can see the cave from above. The shop itself sells crystal and has a dazzling castle made of crystal in a display case.

I lived in Germany for 6 years and made several trips to this Park.

We usually took the night train, arriving in Paris at 6am, enough time for a breakfast and then trek across to another train station and take the train to Disneyland. The outside area, I guess this is becoming more of a "Downtown Disney" was nice, although the shops were not open very early in the morning.

We would arrive in time to be among the first inside. Adventure Land is not big in size, but very easy to get lost or distracted. There was an Arabian Nights themed area as well. This was different, more like at Epcot.

I really enjoyed my visits, and everytime I went there was more to see and do. It has been almost 4 years. I am sure it is fantastic now.

As for being an American, most of the French, like most Europeans, do know there is a difference between politics and national leadership and the ordinary citizen. I never had a bad or difficult time.

Sleeping dragon? What can you see? is that only at Disneyland Paris or have I overlooked it at the other parks?

Jenn

Only in Paris - it's one the parks unique gems. And it isn't really sleeping. It does wake up and roar (no flames though, roasted children would be bad PR!). It's the largest animatronic that Disney has built.

Regards

Rob

The thing that impressed me most about this park was the themeing and details. WOW! They just did a great job on those things in Paris. IT's hard to describe. Be sure to slow down and smell the roses.

Some things were so funny to me. Star Tours is kind of half in French and half in English. It did make me appreicate how difficult WDW can be for non-english speakers.

My only disappointment with Disneyland Paris was the food! You would think the French could do better and hopefully it has improved, but.....after my lunch I made sure to eat dinner at one of the resturants in the Downtown Disney area.

Hi Carole, when did you visit DLP? Like you I used to complain bitterly at the quality of the food in the park, particularly for vegetarians. Fortunately in the last 2 or 3 years thing have improved a fair bit, particularly for vegetarians! It's still fast food - not an area the French are renowned for - but it's better fast food than itused to be.

Regards

Rob

We usually took the night train, arriving in Paris at 6am, enough time for a breakfast and then trek across to another train station and take the train to Disneyland.

SMDent, would please contact me through PM or email? I'd like to ask you about taking the train from Germany to Disneyland Paris. Thanks so much.

It has been at least 3 years since I went to DLP probably 4 (I don't have the dates in front of me). I figured the food might have improved. (Personally it did not have anyplace to go but UP) I think that the big disadvantage of going during the really slow time is that most of the sit down resturants were closed. Since it was VERY cold, I probably would have gone with a sit down just to warm up.

Only in Paris - it's one the parks unique gems.

Not so! The Cinderella Castle Mystery tour at Tokyo Disneyland also contains a large dragon in one of the many rooms below the castle.

The dragon was very cool. I took pictures - very dark, not sure how they would turn out - and they turned out great. DD was a bit apprehensive, he is very close to you.
The castle is the nicest of the 3 parks I have been to - it is even better looking at night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter