DIGITAL Rider Swap/Rider Switch/Child Swap: In Effect as of June 16th

Oh man... I can see that we may not be able to follow a "normal touring plan" if we are using RS with a party of 6.
How many people can be in group 1?
If I get a FP for hubby and 3 kids, will I be able to get a RS for me and the kids ride again- or will only 2 kids be able to ride again?
OR would it just be easier to get a FP for 3 of our party and then RS for the other 2 of us to ride in group 2?
If you get a FP for hubby and 3 kids, only you and two kids could do rider swap as it's only available for 3 people.

This is sooo confusing... assembling IKEA furniture is easier. HA! I read every post on this thread and I am still not sure if I need to make a FP+ reservation for everyone in my family or just group 1?

We are a family of 7, two adults, kids ages 16-3. The 3 year old is 39 inches (boo). So, I know how Rider Swap works, having used it for 15 years now. BUT, in the past I I only booked a FP for group 1. So, the first three members of my family. Now do I need a FP+ for everyone? If so, what is the point of Rider Swap at all????

The issue is, if I have to book a FP+ for all of us to ride each ride, there is no remaining FP+ for one adult to take my youngest on a little ride he would enjoy, like Pooh, which I what we have always done in the past.

Was my question clear as mud? :badpc::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue:

This is sooo confusing... assembling IKEA furniture is easier. HA! I read every post on this thread and I am still not sure if I need to make a FP+ reservation for everyone in my family or just group 1?

We are a family of 7, two adults, kids ages 16-3. The 3 year old is 39 inches (boo). So, I know how Rider Swap works, having used it for 15 years now. BUT, in the past I I only booked a FP for group 1. So, the first three members of my family. Now do I need a FP+ for everyone? If so, what is the point of Rider Swap at all????

The issue is, if I have to book a FP+ for all of us to ride each ride, there is no remaining FP+ for one adult to take my youngest on a little ride he would enjoy, like Pooh, which I what we have always done in the past.

Was my question clear as mud? :badpc::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue:

The problem is that Disney is being inconsistent with the answer. It seems most rides, most of the time, just group 1 needs a FP. However, at FoP and SDMT in particular people have reported that they want both groups 1 and 2 to have FP in order to issue the RS. I agree that it's silly, and that it kind of defeats the point of the RS since you could have just staggered your FP times if that were the expectation. But, that's what folks are saying.

The problem is that Disney is being inconsistent with the answer. It seems most rides, most of the time, just group 1 needs a FP. However, at FoP and SDMT in particular people have reported that they want both groups 1 and 2 to have FP in order to issue the RS. I agree that it's silly, and that it kind of defeats the point of the RS since you could have just staggered your FP times if that were the expectation. But, that's what folks are saying.

And, it's not consistent at FoP or SDMT, either. For those rides, it seems to be a toss up whether they want both groups to have FPs.

Group 1 is going to be me, child age 6 (tall enough for fop) and father in law. Group 2 is going to be wife, child age 4 (not tall enough) and mother in law.

I’ve already booked my FP and I’m just going to hope it works properly. I booked FP for fop for group 1 and FP for Navi roughly same time.

Hopefully wife and mother in law can do rider switch can go on FOP with child age 6. Not much I can do about it now unless I can find some day of fast passes.

If they say everyone in group 2 needs FP for fop I’ll just say something like that I called into customer service when booking my FP and the CM told me to do it exactly this way and hope that “the customer is always right.”

Group 1 is going to be me, child age 6 (tall enough for fop) and father in law. Group 2 is going to be wife, child age 4 (not tall enough) and mother in law.

I’ve already booked my FP and I’m just going to hope it works properly. I booked FP for fop for group 1 and FP for Navi roughly same time.

Hopefully wife and mother in law can do rider switch can go on FOP with child age 6. Not much I can do about it now unless I can find some day of fast passes.

If they say everyone in group 2 needs FP for fop I’ll just say something like that I called into customer service when booking my FP and the CM told me to do it exactly this way and hope that “the customer is always right.”

It should work fine with no issues. Child age 6 can go again with your wife and mother in law.
Just go directly to the CM doing rider swaps, usually standing between the FP line and standby line in FOP. Make sure to tell him group 1 are going through FP line so you get the RS passes set appropriately. Just say we need rider swap for group 2 and group 1 are going through FP line. He/she will ask about child age 4 and check height requirement and if indeed short enough will set you up.

It should work fine with no issues. Child age 6 can go again with your wife and mother in law.
Just go directly to the CM doing rider swaps, usually standing between the FP line and standby line in FOP. Make sure to tell him group 1 are going through FP line so you get the RS passes set appropriately. Just say we need rider swap for group 2 and group 1 are going through FP line. He/she will ask about child age 4 and check height requirement and if indeed short enough will set you up.
Some are saying this doesn’t work with FoP.... they’re wanting everyone to have a FP. Report back on how it goes.

So, I'm sorry, I'm still confused. Are you able to do Rider Switch through the Standby line (if you wanted to, I mean)? I understand that you get the biggest advantage by using FP+ but is it required?

Also, any recent experience with using Rider Switch for someone who doesn't want to ride (vs being too short)? One of my kids can be chicken, but I don't want the other one and DH to miss out if we can avoid it.

Cross posted as a follow up to our trip:

I did the rider swap last week on Wednesday at Flight of Passage (which is the ride everyone said was the most troublesome). Group 1 (me, father in law, 6 year old)... non-rider, 4 year old son.... Group 2 (wife, mother in law, 6 year old again).
Group 1 had fast passes..... group 2 did not have fast passes... i repeat, no fast passes for FOP for group 2.
We went up to the line, asked for rider swap, they saw what we were trying to do and put a rider swap on each of Group 2's magic bands, including 6 year old son who still had not ridden the first time yet... no issues at all.
Group 1 went... we met group 2 in the exit gift shop and Group 2 went with no issues.
It worked exactly how it was supposed to work with no issues at all. Good luck to ya'll and hope it goes smoothly for you.

Worked perfectly.

So, I'm sorry, I'm still confused. Are you able to do Rider Switch through the Standby line (if you wanted to, I mean)? I understand that you get the biggest advantage by using FP+ but is it required?

Also, any recent experience with using Rider Switch for someone who doesn't want to ride (vs being too short)? One of my kids can be chicken, but I don't want the other one and DH to miss out if we can avoid it.

You can use Rider swap in the standby line. Everyone approaches the CM outside the standby line and tells them who will be riding first and who will be riding second. CM adds rider swap to the bands of those in Group 2. Group 1 enters the standby line, rides, and then finds the rest of the party. Then Group 2 can enter the FP line and ride using the rider swap entitlements.

With a child tall enough who doesn't wish to ride, they will most likely have everyone go through the line (you can do it with standby or FP, but if you do FP, even the child who doesn't want to ride needs a FP). Then, you'd perform a swap at boarding with the child and one adult waiting at boarding while the rest of the group rides. When they are done, the adults swap. I would not count on receiving an actual rider swap pass for a child who is tall enough since the swap can be done at boarding without the pass.

I wanted to mention here that on our trip January 21-28, there were CMs outside several rides (including FoP, can't remember which others) standing next to large signs clearly identifying them as the location for obtaining Rider Swap and DAS passes. The one for FoP was across from the standby/FP entrance but close by, therefore easy to find. We didn't need them, but I was happy to see them there making it easier for guests to use those services.

I wanted to mention here that on our trip January 21-28, there were CMs outside several rides (including FoP, can't remember which others) standing next to large signs clearly identifying them as the location for obtaining Rider Swap and DAS passes. The one for FoP was across from the standby/FP entrance but close by, therefore easy to find. We didn't need them, but I was happy to see them there making it easier for guests to use those services.

That sounds great! Should speed up the FP line.

Yes, I saw this as well and since we did need them, it was very handy to be able to find who had the machine(s) to issue a return time.

Just to make sure I'm clear on this:

Party of 4, FIL, myself and my 2 kids

So if we book a FP+ for Splash for FIL and my son, I can wait with DD (who doesn't want to ride). Then, when they are done riding, I can then turn around and go on with my son? Immediately after, or do we have to wait awhile?

Just to make sure I'm clear on this:

Party of 4, FIL, myself and my 2 kids

So if we book a FP+ for Splash for FIL and my son, I can wait with DD (who doesn't want to ride). Then, when they are done riding, I can then turn around and go on with my son? Immediately after, or do we have to wait awhile?
Is your daughter tall enough to ride?

Yes but height is no longer the requirement. It says can't or doesn't want to ride .

I can’t say I have an answer for this because it happened always that RS for our party was because someone is not tall enough. But I think for RS to work with a party that are all tall enough, all riders might be required to have FPs.
On some rides like FOP, they actually had my daughter get out of the stroller, check her height, then issue rider swaps for group 2 that didn’t have FP.

ymmv

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter