Dine With Shamu F.A.Q. Thread

As for possible cancellation, SW is awesome as far as customer service goes. We had reservations for Santa's Fireside Feast on Christmas Eve. When we all came down with a flu-like bug that afternoon, I knew we were beyond the 24-hour no-penalty cancellation, but I also knew we couldn't possibly go to the dinner :sick: . So I called to let them know we wouldn't be attending, not asking for a refund but simply opening up a table for another lucky family of three who might inquire as a walk-up (as the meal was long since sold out). The customer service rep asked me if I would hold for a moment, then came back on the line to say they would refund me the full amount as a courtesy, and wished my family well. We were not entitled to a refund, and we were not expecting one (nor did I ask). So I can speak from experience when I say they are awesome when plans change (for whatever reason).

:thumbsup2 wow, that is awesome customer service!

The same thing happened to us at sw in California. We had reservations for Sunday and everyone got sick so I called and asked if we could rebook for mid week and they said they only did it on the weekends then (feb) so she refunded my money. It was very nice of her and I didn't ask either she just offered.

I'm gonna book it thus weekend :)

I would love to do this dinner on our 2nd day at SW, but I wanted to go to the park at about 5PM and stay till closing at 10 PM.
I do not want to have to be at the park by 3 PM - do they ever pre-assign your dining time so you don't have to check in at 3? I am assuming that a 10 PM closing would mean there is a dinner closer to 6 PM (labor day weekend). The 3 PM is a deal breaker for us that day because we have earlier plans.

I would love to do this dinner on our 2nd day at SW, but I wanted to go to the park at about 5PM and stay till closing at 10 PM.
I do not want to have to be at the park by 3 PM - do they ever pre-assign your dining time so you don't have to check in at 3? I am assuming that a 10 PM closing would mean there is a dinner closer to 6 PM (labor day weekend). The 3 PM is a deal breaker for us that day because we have earlier plans.

Maybe you can call SW directly to find out. I have called them in the past and they have been very helpful.

I tried to book online on the weekend and it wasn't working so I called today and booked it and the lady on the phone was so nice. They also have birthday cakes now which she said was new so I booked one of those too. We're celebrating 3 birthdays on the trip so I thought it may get us even closer to the front :)

My family has never been to SW and we're going in June.. really considering DWS but also concerned about missing the best shows.. is Dine With Shamu like a front row seat DURING a show? (If so, which one?).. or is it something totally separate? If so, would booking this mean missing a great show? I would love do take the kids to DWS but not at the expense of missing a whale/dolphin show as this is our first time ever. I know someone else asked a similar question and was told to watch the YouTube video they linked, but I tried and it said it was private. Also I saw a mentioning of seeing a show on a screen during dws... not sure if we'd enjoy that more than watching a show in the stands. Help!:confused:

My family has never been to SW and we're going in June.. really considering DWS but also concerned about missing the best shows.. is Dine With Shamu like a front row seat DURING a show? (If so, which one?).. or is it something totally separate? If so, would booking this mean missing a great show? I would love do take the kids to DWS but not at the expense of missing a whale/dolphin show as this is our first time ever. I know someone else asked a similar question and was told to watch the YouTube video they linked, but I tried and it said it was private. Also I saw a mentioning of seeing a show on a screen during dws... not sure if we'd enjoy that more than watching a show in the stands. Help!:confused:

I've never done DWS, but from what I've read and saw online, it is a dining experience in a backstage area of Shamu Stadium. Unless it changed, I believe that during your dinner, a few of the whales and trainers come out and do some kind of training session in front of you. Of course, this may have changed after the incident in 2010, when a whale drowned one of the trainers, but I don't think SWO would resort to a boring video. They are all about bringing guests and their animals together.

I tried to book online on the weekend and it wasn't working so I called today and booked it and the lady on the phone was so nice. They also have birthday cakes now which she said was new so I booked one of those too. We're celebrating 3 birthdays on the trip so I thought it may get us even closer to the front :)

Yay! I bet you get a front row seat (I am hoping for the same, with booking so early). Their phone agents are great, aren't they? Makes me feel welcome already.

From what I understand, you can't see the main stadium show while you're at DWS. It's a different thing, with a short presentation from the trainers and some "tricks" from the whales. The advantage is that you get closer, and you're not with 5,000 of your closest friends. You also get a photo of the family to take home I believe. The shows are performed several times a day, so if you plan ahead you should be able to do both. For my family of four it's only costing us $110 (we got a slight discount, and I think it's not quite peak season to begin with), so for a sit-down dinner and a chance to talk to the pros, it seems quite worth it. A buffet character meal at Disney is going to cost twice that. (And glass of wine or a beer is going to add on even more at Disney!)

We will be taking our eldest son to celebrate his birthday at Sea World and thought about doing the Dining with Shamu. Who do you talk to about the cake and do they do anything special for birthdays?

We will be taking our eldest son to celebrate his birthday at Sea World and thought about doing the Dining with Shamu. Who do you talk to about the cake and do they do anything special for birthdays?

The customer service rep on the phone was the one who told me about the cakes - I didn't see them online but she did say they were knew so they may be online at some point if not already. I don't think they do anything other than bring out the cake to your table.

The customer service rep on the phone was the one who told me about the cakes - I didn't see them online but she did say they were knew so they may be online at some point if not already. I don't think they do anything other than bring out the cake to your table.

Thanks for the info! I will call and ask about it.

what is the number to call?

Is the DWS time typically the same time as the One Ocean show time or is it earlier? They don't list times for the dinner anymore. We have to check in that day by 3:00 to find out.

Is the DWS time typically the same time as the One Ocean show time or is it earlier? They don't list times for the dinner anymore. We have to check in that day by 3:00 to find out.

When we were there over Christmas, DWS was featured after One Ocean (the show was just in its final minutes as we were being seated and offered our drinks). So with check in, pre-meal pics, etc. you wouldn't be able to watch One Ocean and then be seated for the meal.

When we were there over Christmas, DWS was featured after One Ocean (the show was just in its final minutes as we were being seated and offered our drinks). So with check in, pre-meal pics, etc. you wouldn't be able to watch One Ocean and then be seated for the meal.

I was under the impression that we would see the show on screens. Now I know to make sure we see the show earlier. I'm glad I asked! Thank you!

Does anyone know when they will release dates for January? The last booking date is December 31st. Do they not do Dine with Shamu in January or have they just not released the dates? Thanks!

I do not believe any dates will be released for January, although there may be a few days early in January with dates.

Shark's Underwater Grill would be a good replacement instead of Dine With Shamu.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!