Dine With Shamu F.A.Q. Thread

Thanks bellarinh for the recent report. A few questions since most of the information doesn't seem to be updated -
It sounds like there's no longer a screen to watch the show - correct? So does that mean the show is happening before the dinner, then the trainers come over for a private "DWS" performance? There's no way to see what the larger audience sees then, right?
Would you say it's only worth doing DWS if we can see the bigger show too? Or is it simply personal preference? I know we won't have time for both but it sounds like it would interest my kids.
Reservations - also sounds like it should be very easy to switch dates. We're debating between two October dates for SW and a lot is based upon dining reservations at WDW. Could we potentially make reservations for DWS for two dates, then just cancel one when the date nears?

If there was a screen, it hasn't been there since before Jan. So no, you wouldn't be able to see the 12:15 One Ocean (or the 3:30 show, if DWS ever moves back to 3:30). It honestly doesn't matter to me, as I've seen the show so many times.

Thanks bellarinh for the recent report. A few questions since most of the information doesn't seem to be updated -
It sounds like there's no longer a screen to watch the show - correct? So does that mean the show is happening before the dinner, then the trainers come over for a private "DWS" performance? There's no way to see what the larger audience sees then, right?
Would you say it's only worth doing DWS if we can see the bigger show too? Or is it simply personal preference? I know we won't have time for both but it sounds like it would interest my kids.
Reservations - also sounds like it should be very easy to switch dates. We're debating between two October dates for SW and a lot is based upon dining reservations at WDW. Could we potentially make reservations for DWS for two dates, then just cancel one when the date nears?
When we were there, there was no screen showing One Ocean at Dine with Shamu. The check-in started at the same time as One Ocean did at 12.15pm. I could somewhat hear the show but couldn't see anything.

The "show" part of Dine with Shamu is more educational than anything. You get to see the whales up close. They did some jumping and such but it wasn't meant to be a private showing of One Ocean if you know what I mean. And that's why I put the quotation marks on show. The trainers asked the whales to do a few tricks while they kept talking about how they cared for those animals.

This was our family's first visit to SeaWorld. I originally planned to only do Dine with Shamu and not watched One Ocean since there wasn't enough time in the day to watch every show plus Dine with Shamu. But after the experience, I decided to go back the next day to watch One Ocean because I felt I didn't get enough of the show elements at Dine with Shamu. So in my humble opinion, I feel that first timers maybe best watch One Ocean first. Dine with Shamu will be an add-on so you can learn more about the animals you've already seen. And there's something to be said about seeing those majestic animals so closely.

The reservation process is extremely simple. They ask you to pay in full when you make your reservation. So if you want to hold two reservations, you would have to pay in advance for both. They have a 24-hour cancellation policy.

Is it true that alcohol isn’t included in the price anymore and now you have to pay extra for it?

We booked in January and it was listed as still being included in the price but now it only says Soda, Tea and Coffee. Won’t be very happy if this is the case and I’ll be complaining about it.

I also see you have to move into the stadium for the Orca portion of the experience now because the Pilot Whales are in the pool where you eat. Are they going to try and rush us to eat it now?

When I went in Feb, they did not rush us to eat at all. You could go to the buffet as people were being seated, and we were mostly done eating by the time they started interacting with the long finned pilot whales. Had time to go up and get seconds of the favorites, then dessert. I did not feel rushed at all, and we arrived towards the end of people being seated. They did a training session with the 4 pilot whales, and afterwards went to the tables answering questions. Once done eating, they offered take out cups if you wanted to bring a drink with you. Then had everyone walk over to Shamu stadium (not far) and go down towards the lower seats. They did a non-splashing training session with the orcas, including describing how they train the different behaviors for the show. At the end, they had a few orcas come to the glass and pose for photos with the diners.

Is it true that alcohol isn’t included in the price anymore and now you have to pay extra for it?

We booked in January and it was listed as still being included in the price but now it only says Soda, Tea and Coffee. Won’t be very happy if this is the case and I’ll be complaining about it.

I also see you have to move into the stadium for the Orca portion of the experience now because the Pilot Whales are in the pool where you eat. Are they going to try and rush us to eat it now?

When I did DwS on Sat, alcohol was not included (there was a "menu" with drink prices on the table).

Also, there was no rushing at all. Most people were almost finished eating by the time the trainers had come over to work with the pilot whales, and were completely done by the time they were bringing people over to Shamu Stadium

Thanks for your responses. I’m really annoyed that I’ve had to find out about these changes via a TripAdvisor review last night and this forum because this now isn’t the experience I originally paid for anymore. I’m going to email Sea World shortly and let them know how displeased I am about these changes and ask why we weren’t notified about them prior.

We’ve done Dine With “Shamu” the last 5 consecutive years in a row and multiple times over the years prior to that and these changes sound incredibly mediocre. Alcohol has always been included in the price and was when we booked but I guess they’ll pull the “we can make changes whenever we want”. Last year they got rid of the complimentary photo and this year it’s the beer and wine. Cost cutting?

We’re doing this next Thursday so it’s too late to start making changes to our schedule and if we did cancel now we’d lose out on the exchange rate but I think this will be last time we do it, which is a shame, as we’ve always enjoyed it in previous years.

I am glad I stumbled on this thread. This is much different than I had been anticipating as I had seen info and video on the “old” experience. We have reservations for next week and I am glad I now know what to expect.

I am glad I stumbled on this thread. This is much different than I had been anticipating as I had seen info and video on the “old” experience. We have reservations for next week and I am glad I now know what to expect.

I had some fears once I found out about the changes, but was pleased with the overall experience. The pilot whales were nice to view during lunch and the private show of the Orcas was a nice touch. Overall, we thought it to be a pleasant experience and very much worth the money.

Had lunch on Monday. This dining experience is now called Up-Close Dining at Shamu Stadium. The show portion consisted of an educational/entertainment session with the four pilot whales followed by a session with two Orcas. We had plenty of time to eat before the show. Food was quite good, and felt the overall value for the experience was worth the price. Alcohol was not included.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!