Dining ADR and FP--can I make this?

Mousefan mom

Mouseketeer
Hi--We have a 3:40pm Ohana reservation, and then a 4:40-5:40 FOP fast pass...its the only times I can get for both, and these are 2 of our favorite things. Will this be too tight?

That's gonna be tough. Ohana regularly runs late (although at 3:40 I doubt it; it backs up more as the night goes on) and Animal Kingdom is pretty far from the Poly.

I'd try to get to Ohana at 3:20 and ask for the check early and you might be able to make it.

And consider doing an Uber or taxi to cut down on transportation time. It's going to be very tight!

Going to go a bit further than "very tight" and say "not possible." Nope. Not going to happen. Even if you got seated exactly on time, dinner will take an hour at least, so 4:40. Then if you are lucky you might be able to get on a bus by 5pm, arriving at AK at 5:25, through back check and ticket stand by 5:40, then at least 10 minutes to get all the way through the discovery island, round to Pandora, and to the FOP entrance at the back of pandora, and that is at a pretty brisk pace. So the very very fastest option to get there puts you right at the end of your 15-minute grace period after your faspass time. But if there is any kind of wait to be seated, dinner service is slow, bus transportation is slow, long lines at bag check... you get the idea. Just seems impossible to me.

Going to go a bit further than "very tight" and say "not possible." Nope. Not going to happen. Even if you got seated exactly on time, dinner will take an hour at least, so 4:40. Then if you are lucky you might be able to get on a bus by 5pm, arriving at AK at 5:25, through back check and ticket stand by 5:40, then at least 10 minutes to get all the way through the discovery island, round to Pandora, and to the FOP entrance at the back of pandora, and that is at a pretty brisk pace. So the very very fastest option to get there puts you right at the end of your 15-minute grace period after your faspass time. But if there is any kind of wait to be seated, dinner service is slow, bus transportation is slow, long lines at bag check... you get the idea. Just seems impossible to me.
If they Ubered it might be possible.

I would choose what's more important to you AND/OR set up a Touring Plans ADR alert and keep checking for a different FoP time.

This. I've had great luck with ADR alerts. Changing your FoP FP takes more perseverance but it's worth checking frequently. You might be willing to take the chance on making your FP but man, I'd be stressing about it the WHOLE TIME.

What time does Ohana start dinner service?
OP has 2 hours exactly. IMO this is a recipe for disappointment w/ little chance of doing both w/in 2 hours.
To eat at Ohana includes being seated & I've always had to wait a long time for Ohana, but I've read early diners have shorter waits, complete a multi course meal which slows as various entertainment happens (cocoanut races, singing, lei giving, etc.,) and pay the bill.
After that OP must try to make their way over to AK (which is about as far away as you can get from venue to venue.) Even if OP Uber/Lyft/taxi/Minnie vans from the Poly to AK it's still around 15-20 minutes between the two, I believe, and that's assuming the transport is right there and there's no traffic. If OP drives themselves add in walking to the car at the Poly and from the car at AK. Once at AK, they have to walk up to bag check, go through that (assuming no lines) make it through the turnstiles and then trek to Pandora.
Frankly, if it were me I'd give up Ohana and try for dinner somewhere in AK during that time slot, or schedule my Ohana dinner for after the FOP FP.

Ohana opens at 3:30pm. Not sure what month you are going but getting there earlier I don't think will help. Wait to you are close to your trip and try to change Ohana for later - after FOP. Keep checking - there are always cancellations. Or try to move FOP. Last week they opened up new FPs for FOP for August - around day 40 for us and I was able to get FOP for days that there weren't any at day 60.

Depends on your comfort level and willingness to make both. If you show up at Ohana early, and get seated on time, and ask for your check as soon as you sit down, you COULD be done at Ohana in 45 or so minutes. I've heard reports of them starting to push courses out faster to offset the extra time dining plan people are taking to enjoy their drinks. (The included adult beverages are apparently adding 10-15 minutes per seating, causing them to lose one seating per meal). If you then cab/Uber/Minnie Van it over to AK, you COULD be there with enough time to walk to FoP and make your FP. Remember, you do have that 15 minute grace period (unless this was recently changed). So if you are in a cab by 5, and don't have any bags to have security look at, I'd expect you to make your FoP FP. But this means you are basically rushing through your meal, and then dropping $10-25 bucks (not sure what a cab or Uber could cost, but Minnie Van is $25) to make it over as quick as possible, and then high tailing it through AK. But if you are seated late, or you have slow service, or get a cab driver who gets lost, or...... you might not make it.

Going to be tight. IF Ohana is on time (rare), and you eat fast, you might be done at 4:45 (probably later). Then it depends on how long you have to wait for a bus to AK and another 20+ minutes for the ride. It is doable,but I would feel too rushed to enjoy Ohana and stressed to make the FP. Keep trying to move the FP later. Not sure that Uber would save much time getting to AK.

Because of the early ADR time at 'Ohana, this may be doable. They don't open until 3:30, so I would plan to be there a few minutes before opening to check-in and you will be in the first wave of people seated. Assume 1 hour for the meal, which IMO is a comfortable amount of time. Ask for your bill early on in the meal, that can easily save you 5 or 10 minutes waiting around when you are all done eating and ready to go. That will leave you 1 hour to get to FOP. If you're driving, no issue. If you are taking the bus, you'll need some luck to have a bus pull up in the first few minutes you are waiting. If you aren't driving and you aren't on a bus in the first 5 minutes, then I'd go with uber/taxi. As long as you are in transit by 5:00, you should be fine (assuming you aren't travelling on a super peak day where security lines are longer than 5 or 10 minutes).

So can you make it? Yes. Is it possible you won't? Yes. All you can do is your best to remove as much risk from the plan as possible and hope for the best. Any plan can fall off the rails at any point, this one is no different.

Because of the early ADR time at 'Ohana, this may be doable. They don't open until 3:30, so I would plan to be there a few minutes before opening to check-in and you will be in the first wave of people seated. Assume 1 hour for the meal, which IMO is a comfortable amount of time. Ask for your bill early on in the meal, that can easily save you 5 or 10 minutes waiting around when you are all done eating and ready to go. That will leave you 1 hour to get to FOP. If you're driving, no issue. If you are taking the bus, you'll need some luck to have a bus pull up in the first few minutes you are waiting. If you aren't driving and you aren't on a bus in the first 5 minutes, then I'd go with uber/taxi. As long as you are in transit by 5:00, you should be fine (assuming you aren't travelling on a super peak day where security lines are longer than 5 or 10 minutes).

So can you make it? Yes. Is it possible you won't? Yes. All you can do is your best to remove as much risk from the plan as possible and hope for the best. Any plan can fall off the rails at any point, this one is no different.

Why would they for sure be fine if they are in transit at 5pm? When we took the bus from Poly to AKL I timed the drive and it was about 20 minutes. So even if you assume 10 minutes to walk from the bus stop to the entrance get through bag check/ticket scan (which seems on the low side to me, I'd budget 20 minutes to get into the park), and given it takes about 10 minutes to walk from park entrance to FOP, I still think it's too dicey to risk it.

Why would they for sure be fine if they are in transit at 5pm? When we took the bus from Poly to AKL I timed the drive and it was about 20 minutes. So even if you assume 10 minutes to walk from the bus stop to the entrance get through bag check/ticket scan (which seems on the low side to me, I'd budget 20 minutes to get into the park), and given it takes about 10 minutes to walk from park entrance to FOP, I still think it's too dicey to risk it.

I said "should be" not "sure to be" and I believe that is true for any form of transportation (bus, car, uber) from Poly to AK once wheels are rolling. I think it's pretty clear that no matter what, this is a tight schedule they are working with.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter