Dining Plan with 2 adults, 3 Disney kids for a first visit

Ariel is one of my girls' favorite, Rapunzel is another, so that is definitely a big sell. That character meal is breakfast only, right? We were generally looking to avoid sit down breakfast, as the morning is when they're going to have the most willingness/energy to bang through more rides before they start to get tired. But, that's a really good character set for us. Hmmmm...

You could always do it on your last morning or as a late breakfast on one of your late start days.

I am not sure what kind of rooms your looking... if you are planning for value resort with two rooms.. for one room you can add DDP for one adult and 2 kids (kids dinning plan is around 40 for DDP).
reason : with DDP you will get 3 TS every day and it we can pool all the meals including kids ( i hope this rule is not changed). so you will get total 81 TS meals which can shared between all 5 of you.
i think this way you can save some money .. having two bath rooms...

If you're splitting QS meals, you can get, say 2 breakfast platters, and 3 QS meals for dinner. Keeps the waste down.

I'll be honest, I'm a fan of the DDP, although I am typically at the break even point, not "saving." Like you'd I'd skimp paying OOP, doesn't matter if I had a pocket full of gift cards. I'm pretty frugal most of the time: shop rummage sales, bulk buy sale items, grow my own vegetables, etc. But experiences? I will pay for those without blinking. And I do think that, yes, you will have a richer experience at all those buffets if your kids are into the characters!

I am not sure what kind of rooms your looking... if you are planning for value resort with two rooms.. for one room you can add DDP for one adult and 2 kids (kids dinning plan is around 40 for DDP).
reason : with DDP you will get 3 TS every day and it we can pool all the meals including kids ( i hope this rule is not changed). so you will get total 81 TS meals which can shared between all 5 of you.

Just clarifying...looks like you're talking about the DELUXE plan. Most of us normally abbreviate that DxDDP to remove any confusion with the regular plan which is DDP. And they're only there for 8 nights, so they would only have 72 meals to share between the 5 of them.

Still this plan puts you right at $200/night for the DxDDP and the regular plan for all five is only around $228/night. Not sure the $28/night savings is worth the cost of two rooms in this case.

We are looking at two rooms at Pop, so this is intriguing. Right now, because we're only two adults and three kids, we're supposed to be "guaranteed" connecting rooms. I'm seeing some question as to the validity of that guarantee, but they would certainly do their best to get us as close as possible since they're booked under one reservation. If we split, I believe the likelihood that our rooms are on different ends of the floor, different floors, etc goes up considerably. That's definitely concerning, but something I'd be willing to risk if the payout were worth it

Our stay is only 8 nights, not 9, so it would be 72 meals and 48 snacks on the DxDP versus 40, 40, and 80 on the DDP. If we wanted to do a LOT of table service, this would be an incredible deal. It's $255.16 less than the DDP and we could easily do only 2-3 meals at any of the a la carte places. 3 apps, 3 meals, and 3 desserts would be MORE than enough for us. 2 of each would suffice most meals. The tips would likely eat up the cost savings, but we'd still be paying the same price for all TS meals instead of half being QS. But, if my fear is that the regular DDP is too much waiting at TS meals, then switching to that plan would mean even that much more down time.

I could always switch to the DxDP but do the itinerary above and use a bunch of those credits as QS instead of TS. That would mean that I'd see more of the $255.16 savings because I'd have fewer tips. But, I'd probably have to buy some snacks or meals OOP, which pushes me right back into spending that money. My goodness, this is complicated.

Let's start here. What is the likelihood of getting nearby rooms on split reservations? I don't know if I want to spend another 2 hours in spreadsheets comparing the DDP and DxDP if it means my kids are in a different building than I am.

OP, the way you described it in your first post leads me to believe you'll have a much better trip if you do the dining plan. Financially you can break even or come out ahead if you're planning on a few character meals (sounds like you are). It also sounds like without the DDP you'll spend a lot more time budgeting and figuring out how to share meals. IMO avoiding that stress is one of the biggest benefits of the DDP.

We are looking at two rooms at Pop, so this is intriguing. Right now, because we're only two adults and three kids, we're supposed to be "guaranteed" connecting rooms. I'm seeing some question as to the validity of that guarantee, but they would certainly do their best to get us as close as possible since they're booked under one reservation. If we split, I believe the likelihood that our rooms are on different ends of the floor, different floors, etc goes up considerably. That's definitely concerning, but something I'd be willing to risk if the payout were worth it

Our stay is only 8 nights, not 9, so it would be 72 meals and 48 snacks on the DxDP versus 40, 40, and 80 on the DDP. If we wanted to do a LOT of table service, this would be an incredible deal. It's $255.16 less than the DDP and we could easily do only 2-3 meals at any of the a la carte places. 3 apps, 3 meals, and 3 desserts would be MORE than enough for us. 2 of each would suffice most meals. The tips would likely eat up the cost savings, but we'd still be paying the same price for all TS meals instead of half being QS. But, if my fear is that the regular DDP is too much waiting at TS meals, then switching to that plan would mean even that much more down time.

I could always switch to the DxDP but do the itinerary above and use a bunch of those credits as QS instead of TS. That would mean that I'd see more of the $255.16 savings because I'd have fewer tips. But, I'd probably have to buy some snacks or meals OOP, which pushes me right back into spending that money. My goodness, this is complicated.

Let's start here. What is the likelihood of getting nearby rooms on split reservations? I don't know if I want to spend another 2 hours in spreadsheets comparing the DDP and DxDP if it means my kids are in a different building than I am.

I think connecting rooms might not be a problem.. as u r trip not in next 2months..

Instead of using my TS as QS I would try 1 or 2 signature dinnings and avoid the tip and use the tip money for QS ...

This is certainly our plan in general, but there's waiting for buses, waiting to get through security, waiting to get onto rides, etc, etc. There are only so many times you can rehash the same story! Adding in the time waiting to be seated, order, and have food served is just that much more downtime to fill. If we were to go the OOP route, we'd stick to QS that have mobile ordering so we could seriously cut down on the wait to eat.

Sounds like qs is more your touring style

I think it's very rare that two-room families end up in different buildings. The worse I can see happening is you'll be in two different rooms on the same floor with other rooms between you. But that would just mean you and DH would have to split up and the girls would have to split up with one or two staying with you and the other(s) with DH.

You might not need to do the spreadsheets as much as look at where you might be eating. Five of the seven you listed are buffet or prix fix type meals that you'll have to use a credit for all of you anyway. So those 5 will "cost" you 30 of the 72 DxDDP credits. Now you just need to look at the remaining days and how many meals you'll eat to see if 42 credits will feed all of you.

Now you just need to look at the remaining days and how many meals you'll eat to see if 42 credits will feed all of you.

This would mostly come down to whether Disney continues to pool all of the kid and adult credits on the DxDP. I can definitely make meals work with 42 credits if I'm banking on having adult meals. If most of those credits are off of the kids menu, then the math gets dicey pretty fast because the portions shrink.

This would mostly come down to whether Disney continues to pool all of the kid and adult credits on the DxDP. I can definitely make meals work with 42 credits if I'm banking on having adult meals. If most of those credits are off of the kids menu, then the math gets dicey pretty fast because the portions shrink.

The going theory on why they still pool is because there are still QS restaurants that don't have a kid's menu and the system doesn't know what to do with that, so they just pool them. So, as long as those places continue to not have kid's meals, you would be safe. You have lots of time to make the final decision on dining plans, so if they do change it, you'll know it. It would hit this board like **** hits the fan. If you think this will be the most cost effective, go ahead and make ADRs as if you will have the plan and wait it out.

The going theory on why they still pool is because there are still QS restaurants that don't have a kid's menu and the system doesn't know what to do with that, so they just pool them. So, as long as those places continue to not have kid's meals, you would be safe. You have lots of time to make the final decision on dining plans, so if they do change it, you'll know it. It would hit this board like **** hits the fan. If you think this will be the most cost effective, go ahead and make ADRs as if you will have the plan and wait it out.

I went through today and really looked at how we'd break out TS and QS if we did the deluxe plan for one room. I'd be getting $2200 worth of food plus 48 snacks (conservatively another $180 value) for about $1600 plus tips. And that's with "wasting" 23 of my deluxe credits on QS because I can't fathom doing any more TS than that. I think we'll book ADRs this way and, if the rules change, I'll revisit.

I went through today and really looked at how we'd break out TS and QS if we did the deluxe plan for one room. I'd be getting $2200 worth of food plus 48 snacks (conservatively another $180 value) for about $1600 plus tips. And that's with "wasting" 23 of my deluxe credits on QS because I can't fathom doing any more TS than that. I think we'll book ADRs this way and, if the rules change, I'll revisit.

Just a note.. if we try signature restaurants they take 2 credits.. but we don't have to pay tip... instead using it for QS we can try signature dinnings and use saved tip towards QS

Just a note.. if we try signature restaurants they take 2 credits.. but we don't have to pay tip... instead using it for QS we can try signature dinnings and use saved tip towards QS

So, I know Cindy's includes tip (that's on our list) and a few dinner shows which are not on our list because of travel constraints. But, I thought the rest of the signatures still required tip.

So, I know Cindy's includes tip (that's on our list) and a few dinner shows which are not on our list because of travel constraints. But, I thought the rest of the signatures still required tip.

You are correct. Cindy's, the Luau, and Hoop de Doo all include the tip, but normal regular signatures do not.

So, i didn't read the thread, but here is my experience. We are a family of 5, with 3 little girls. We went to WDW last when DDs 1&2 were 2.5 and 6. We considered not doing the DDP for the trip we are taking in June and like you said, it would save us a ton to avoid TS and stick with the cheaper CS meals. However, if we decide to go to TS meals, the DDP makes is abundantly worth our while. However, as you also said, there is a non financial Disney magic issue that is too hard to factor in with just a paper and pen.

For what its worth, we did decide to do the DDP because we really do like having that hour+ to sit in the AC and cool off and relax, as well as to meet some characters. Our TS meals are Hollywood and Vine, CRT, BOG, T-Rex, etc. we really enjoy the benefits of not only resting, but also getting some of our characters out of the way. Our girls really enjoy the not rushed opportunity to spend time with the princesses as well as the fab 5, and the food is honestly just better than CS. We also do not do a mid day break at the resort, we just feel like we lose sooooo much park time that way, between waiting for a bus, travel time, getting to the room, getting ready for a nap and then napping, and then turning around and doing it all backwards to get back to a park. Its just too hard for us.

YMMV, of course, but we find that TS break to be enough to recharge, especially for our eldest, who is closest to your girls' ages. Honestly, we find an opportunity to sit down and eat a cupcake or an ice cream cone as an adequate opportunity, which like you said, when on the DDP, you dont have to be so stingy with the snacks. Between the TS and the added snacks, we enjoy the fact that it kind of MAKES us take a few minutes to sit down and reset. We also stay 9 days, so i know how those long trips feel, and we really find that having something other than chicken nuggets or hamburgers for the adults and ambiance that is conducive and interesting to kids makes for a much more relaxing meal experience than the rushed feel we get at the tables in most CS spots....

So, i didn't read the thread, but here is my experience. We are a family of 5, with 3 little girls. We went to WDW last when DDs 1&2 were 2.5 and 6. We considered not doing the DDP for the trip we are taking in June and like you said, it would save us a ton to avoid TS and stick with the cheaper CS meals. However, if we decide to go to TS meals, the DDP makes is abundantly worth our while. However, as you also said, there is a non financial Disney magic issue that is too hard to factor in with just a paper and pen.

For what its worth, we did decide to do the DDP because we really do like having that hour+ to sit in the AC and cool off and relax, as well as to meet some characters. Our TS meals are Hollywood and Vine, CRT, BOG, T-Rex, etc. we really enjoy the benefits of not only resting, but also getting some of our characters out of the way. Our girls really enjoy the not rushed opportunity to spend time with the princesses as well as the fab 5, and the food is honestly just better than CS. We also do not do a mid day break at the resort, we just feel like we lose sooooo much park time that way, between waiting for a bus, travel time, getting to the room, getting ready for a nap and then napping, and then turning around and doing it all backwards to get back to a park. Its just too hard for us.

YMMV, of course, but we find that TS break to be enough to recharge, especially for our eldest, who is closest to your girls' ages. Honestly, we find an opportunity to sit down and eat a cupcake or an ice cream cone as an adequate opportunity, which like you said, when on the DDP, you dont have to be so stingy with the snacks. Between the TS and the added snacks, we enjoy the fact that it kind of MAKES us take a few minutes to sit down and reset. We also stay 9 days, so i know how those long trips feel, and we really find that having something other than chicken nuggets or hamburgers for the adults and ambiance that is conducive and interesting to kids makes for a much more relaxing meal experience than the rushed feel we get at the tables in most CS spots....

This is invaluable feedback! Thanks so much! It definitely makes me feel more comfortable about using table meals as downtime and not scheduling resort breaks. Like you said, getting all the way out, rested, and back would be quite an event for us. I'm glad to hear that this strategy works for your family.

With 5 year olds I do assume most of not all of your TS meals will be character meals if you do the DDP. There is an upside to this time. Each meal can save you several hours of standing in lines to meet the characters. As I have posted before I am a serious character meal veteran. Over our last 4 trips we have eaten at every character meal except for Cape May at least once. So I will give you some advice based on these. Akershus is good food and a lot cheaper that CRT. Hollywood & Vine is weird very bad food but the best character interaction we have had in the parks. Tusker House at AK is another very good place and if you can handle Golden Corral level food Chef Mickey's is OK. When in Epcot Garden Grill is a good choice.

With 5 year olds I do assume most of not all of your TS meals will be character meals if you do the DDP. There is an upside to this time. Each meal can save you several hours of standing in lines to meet the characters. As I have posted before I am a serious character meal veteran. Over our last 4 trips we have eaten at every character meal except for Cape May at least once. So I will give you some advice based on these. Akershus is good food and a lot cheaper that CRT. Hollywood & Vine is weird very bad food but the best character interaction we have had in the parks. Tusker House at AK is another very good place and if you can handle Golden Corral level food Chef Mickey's is OK. When in Epcot Garden Grill is a good choice.

Yes, vast majority we're looking at are character meals. We didn't have Garden Grill on our original list, but now I'm thinking it should be. I'm also looking at adding the Bon Voyage breakfast at Trattoria al Forno, based on recommendations in this thread.

It's interesting, people have very varied opinions about Hollywood and Vine. Some insist it's terrible, others say it's fine and that complaints are exaggerated. Our friends who went in December said it was one of theirs and their kids' favorites. I have it on our list right now because I want the Fantasmic seating and it seems to be a better fit for our family than Mama Melrose or Hollywood Brown Derby. I guess we shall see...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter