Dining Review Boatwrights: It just throws everything to the dogs....uh

hertamaniac

DIS Veteran
The latest dining review of Boatwrights, was one of the best.

Nothing like the unpredictable candor of a puppy/dog to add levity, and perspective, to any subject matter. I think adding Zelda to the pseudo cast is more than entertaining; it added enough distraction to extract each one of the team members to re-focus, on an instant, and capture a thought, moment or even a taste; talk about re-channeling energy on a dime!

Yes, I am a dog lover. Yes, I rescued an abused (2X) adult female Rottweiler. Kudos to the team for expanding the camera time to a canine.

I agree. But my kudos are probably less to do with Zelda and more with the spirit of the review. When the review opened without the dining footage, I didn't know what to expect. But the review was fair. Given past comments about Boatwright's, fair was important & the Team was definitely that. I haven't tried it. I have many friends on the Boards who love this place. I also want to love it. But I don't want to make a special out of the way trip to Riverside just to be disappointed by a mediocre or, worse, a terrible dining experience. I also know that if tired after a long day in the park, I would likely default to the prime rib as comfort food. I make a great prime rib at home so with so many unique offerings on property that I can't get in my small community, I always pass. Boatwright's will never be destination dining & will always be an onsite necessity. Necessity in that you & your family are too tired to get on the boat to go to the better options at Disney Springs. Shame that WDW puts such a high price tag on that convenience. Boatwright's has the potential to be very good. It could showcase the best of New Orleans. Sad that it settles for OK & inconsistent.

Boatwright's will never be destination dining & will always be an onsite necessity. Necessity in that you & your family are too tired to get on the boat to go to the better options at Disney Springs. Shame that WDW puts such a high price tag on that convenience. Boatwright's has the potential to be very good. It could showcase the best of New Orleans. Sad that it settles for OK & inconsistent.

And there it is. We've paid cash recently for a 2 week stay at OKW, but parlayed our dining choices to Disney Springs or a signature restaurant as the delta in the price to POR was not justifiable. I consider Cajun/Creole cuisine to be my most preferred.

I've been to NO many times and consider it my top preference on food styles. But, this latest review leaves something to be desired. Not to derail, but once you've eaten at Commander's Palace or even the tourist saturated Cafe' Du Monde, I think POR merely offers an appetizer.

Last edited:
Wow this is a difficult subject to discuss. Last summer we stayed at POR and loved everything but the long walk to and from the dinning hall. We where all the way in the back of Alligator Byou. But I digress. We made our pilgrimage to the dinning hall every day for at least one meal. The food court was good but not as good as French Quarter. When we finally got a chance to eat at Boatwright's we found it nice but nothing on the level of our favorite Disney restaurants but I don't know that it has to be. The prices seems affordable and the food was yummy. As Disney fans do we sometimes expect too much from our restaurants? I don't think you can please everyone. Something to consider.

Wow this is a difficult subject to discuss. Last summer we stayed at POR and loved everything but the long walk to and from the dinning hall. We where all the way in the back of Alligator Byou. But I digress. We made our pilgrimage to the dinning hall every day for at least one meal. The food court was good but not as good as French Quarter. When we finally got a chance to eat at Boatwright's we found it nice but nothing on the level of our favorite Disney restaurants but I don't know that it has to be. The prices seems affordable and the food was yummy. As Disney fans do we sometimes expect too much from our restaurants? I don't think you can please everyone. Something to consider.

So the question I have is does the convenience of proximity and potentially limited options equal (=) satisfaction at a higher price point?

P.S. Love your avatar!

So the question I have is does the convenience of proximity and potentially limited options equal (=) satisfaction at a higher price point?

P.S. Love your avatar!

No not always. I have to admit some dishes are priced way too high for my tastes. With that being said literally next door to Boatwright's is the River Roost or River Side Food Court. Both have some great options especially River Roost. BTW the dishes I enjoyed were the
Turbodog Barbecued Ribs and The Big Easy. But how could you mess up ribs and steak. LOL Just kidding! Steak was terrible.

Last edited:

I haven't been to Boatwright's in over ten years. But if my hunch is right and it hasn't changed, this review is still spot on.

I remember the dessert (a bananas foster concoction) being particularly terrible. Everything else was just ok as far as I remember. Nothing to write home about, IMO.

Looking forward to this review to start off my Monday at work. I ate here back when the dining plan gave you apps/entree/drink/desert around '04.

It wasn't horrible, but the expectations were low. Would definitely not go out of my way on future trips for a meal.

I think they should have a show with all the pets - Pete's Abigail, John & Kevin's Sam and Sophie, Craig's Elvis, Shawn's Zelda, Teresa's Klus, Roxie, and Evil Earl (if she can get him back for the day), and I know Julie and Corey have a kitty, but don't remember her name. I think Kathy might have a/some kitties, but not sure, don't know their names. Don't know if Steve/Mikayla have a pet, or I'm forgetting anyone, or any pets. :) Would be a blast,. and I love all the little cuties!!! :) :ccat: :goofy:

I think they should have a show with all the pets - Pete's Abigail, John & Kevin's Sam and Sophie, Craig's Elvis, Shawn's Zelda, Teresa's Klus, Roxie, and Evil Earl (if she can get him back for the day), and I know Julie and Corey have a kitty, but don't remember her name. I think Kathy might have a/some kitties, but not sure, don't know their names. Don't know if Steve/Mikayla have a pet, or I'm forgetting anyone, or any pets. :) Would be a blast,. and I love all the little cuties!!! :) :ccat: :goofy:

And imagine if you use all that synergy to have an animal rescue (or akin) charity donation? Sheer nirvana as wallets will open, well, at least this stingy poster's.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter