Dining review May 24-28 2018- completed 6-19

goofy78

DIS Veteran
Hi all! We just got back from a fantastic Memorial Day weekend at Disney World and since you all help me decide where we are going to eat with your dining reviews, I thought I'd share ours! We stayed at AKV Kidani our first night then switched over to the BWV. We waited for the storm which luckily never happened and had one of the best weather trips!

Here are me and DH

IMG_4613.JPG

And here are me and our 15-year-old twin girls

IMG_4634.JPG

Last edited:
Our line up includes:

Jiko
A little Flower and Garden
Hollywood Brown Derby- dinner
Trattoria al Forno- breakfast non-character
Jungle Skipper Canteen- lunch
Le Cellier
D-Luxe Burger
House of Blues- lunch
Flying Fish

Our line up includes:

Jiko
A little Flower and Garden
Hollywood Brown Derby- dinner
Trattoria al Forno- breakfast non-character
Jungle Skipper Canteen- lunch
Le Cellier
D-Luxe Burger
House of Blues- lunch
Flying Fish

Quick question: How can you have a non-character breakfast at Trattoria al Forno? On an upcoming trip, I am staying at the Boardwalk and would like to eat breakfast at the restaurant, but do not want a character breakfast? Thanks.

Joining in!

Hi there!

I too am joining in - I am curious about a few of them. Thanks.

Thanks for joining!

Quick question: How can you have a non-character breakfast at Trattoria al Forno? On an upcoming trip, I am staying at the Boardwalk and would like to eat breakfast at the restaurant, but do not want a character breakfast? Thanks.

All you have to do is go to the check-in and request the non-character breakfast. There is a separate room inside or you can sit outside which is what we did. I will post the menu as well as it is a little bit different from the character breakfast.

You have a few from our line up from next year! Can’t wait to hear!

(I finally made it to a DTR in time lol)

Thanks for joining!

We arrived at AKV- Kidani around 7:00 pm. After our trip in January I decided that from now on we would take an afternoon flight the day before we officially start our trip. This is the best decision I've made. Our room was ready since it was after 4:00 pm, we had an unbelievable dinner and were able to get a good night sleep for the next day. Much better than waking up at 4:00 am for an early flight and being tired for the first day of our vacation.

After freshening up in our room, we walked over to AKL for our dinner at Jiko. This was our fifth time dining here and probably our favorite restaurant at Disney. We started with the bread service and an appetizer which was the Elk Confit Flatbread. The bread service was great and the flatbread was absolutely delicious!!
IMG_4595.JPG
IMG_4596.JPG

Elk Confit Flatbread
Elk Loin, Harissa-infused Goat Cheese, Olive-Arugula Salad

Last edited:
For entrees, everyone except me ordered the filet with mac and cheese. One of my DD is extremely picky ( I don't know who she takes after) so she got the filet without the red wine reduction. This is the dish that DH orders every time and it is absolutely delicious. I ordered the maize crusted grouper as I wanted to try something different. This dish was so good. The fish was cooked perfectly and all the vegetables mixed in with the sauce was awesome. I'm glad I tried something new. DH and I also enjoyed a bottle of Rustenberg John X Merriman wine from South Africa. Excellent!

IMG_4598.JPG
Oak-grilled Filet Mignon
Macaroni and Cheese, Kachumbari, Brussels Sprouts, South African Red Wine Sauce

IMG_4597.JPG
Maize-crusted Grouper
Vegetables of the Moment and Tomato-Butter Sauce

After our delicious entrees, we decided to order two desserts to share. We ordered the Kilimanjaro and the Strawberry Shortcake. Both were good, nothing outstanding. The Kilimanjaro was the better of the two in my opinion. I know scones are on the dry side but these were a little too dry for me.
IMG_4599.JPG
Kilimanjaro
Tanzanian Chocolate Mousse, Pistachio Financier, Pink Peppercorn Meringue, Cacao Nib Crunch, Ras el Hanout Pineapples

IMG_4600.JPG
Strawberry Shortcake
Local Florida Strawberries, Lavender Scone, Swiss Milk Chocolate, Cubeb Peppercorn

This was the perfect meal to start our trip! We hopped in the internal van back to Kidani so we would be ready for our first full day at Disney! If anyone is interested in trying Jiko, I will say that it is worth it to me to dine here even if you're not staying at AKL or AKV. In January, there was 7 of us and we took two Ubers from the BWV. It is so worth it!

We woke up the next morning and headed over to AK. We had already done FOP our last three trips so we decided to ride Na'vi River Journey for the first time. It was nice and I would do it again but wouldn't wait in a long line for it. We got a small breakfast at Creature Comforts (nothing exciting so no pictures). My girls rode EE and then we were pretty much ready for F&G at EP. Weird experience with the bus from AK to anywhere. We were going to transfer to BW and enter in through the IG. There was a woman in charge of the bus transportation and told us there were no direct buses to any location and we would need to get on a bus that would be dropping people off wherever they wanted to go. I have never heard of this and since we did not want to be on a bus all morning, we talked with a few other people waiting and we all decided to get dropped off at the BW. They just wanted to be dropped off in the EP area as did we so it worked out. We finally made it and at 10:53 am on a Friday we enjoyed our first items!

IMG_4619.JPG
France- Fleur de Lys
Braised duck confit with Parisian gnocchi and La Vie en Rose Frozen Slushy

The duck confit was very tasty. May have been a little heavy for me at this time of day and it was hot out this day with a lot of sun. I would get it again though. The slushy was good but I do enjoy the grey goose slushy more. The booth that sells the grey goose slushies doesn't open until 12:00 so this sufficed.

Next we stopped at Florida Fresh

IMG_4624.JPG
Spicy Blackened Shrimp and Cheddar Cheese Grits

This dish was soooooo good! Definitely on the top of our list! We moved on to Bauernmarkt- Farmer's Market. We got this dish last year and while it was still good, last year's was better.

IMG_4625.JPG
Potato Pancake served with caramelized ham, onions and herb sour cream

Looking forward to your reviews, especially House of Blues. You don't see too many reviews for it and it always looks interesting to me.

After Bauernmarkt- Farmer's Market, we headed over to Mexico. Not a F&G booth but to Choza de Margarita. When we went in January, we had ordered some margaritas, the tacos and the empanadas which were all amazing! In planning for this trip, I really wanted to try the guacamole they have along with the lime cucumber margarita and a beer.

IMG_4627.JPG
Guacamole
topped with Mango and Pumpkin Seeds and served with Fried Flour Chicharrón, Salsa Valentina and Lime

I was so glad we ordered this! It was so light and refreshing. It was very hot and sunny this day and it really hit the spot. The Valentina sauce was delicious and I would recommend getting it. They asked if we wanted it and I always like to order items the way they should be made so of course we said yes.

By this time we still hadn't received our text that our room was ready and my girls were getting tired. So they headed over to the BW to hang out in the lobby while me and DH made our way to our next booth. I really wanted to get this dish last year but we never ended up getting it so he's been hearing me say "burnt ends" for a year. So we finally got to order the dish. We both thought it was very good. We also ordered the chocolate dessert they had. We both took a bite and ended up throwing it out. We both thought it was dry and just not worth finishing.

IMG_4628.JPG
Beef Brisket Burnt Ends Hash with White Cheddar Fondue and Pickled Jalapeños

IMG_4629.JPG
Warm Chocolate Cake with Bourbon-Salted Caramel Sauce and Spiced Pecans

The last item we got before heading over to the BW was at the Taste of Marrakesh booth. Go figure we threw out chocolate cake and ordered fried cauliflower! This dish was really good and DH says if he is going to eat cauliflower then this is how it should be cooked.

IMG_4630.JPG
Fried Cauliflower with Capers, Garlic Parsley and Chili Ranch Sauce

Hi there!

Thanks for joining!

All you have to do is go to the check-in and request the non-character breakfast. There is a separate room inside or you can sit outside which is what we did. I will post the menu as well as it is a little bit different from the character breakfast.

Thanks for joining!

Thanks very much for the information about the breakfast at the Boardwalk.

Hi there!

!

Did you make an ADR?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts