• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dining reviews 4/25-5/2 Part 1

kimble

Earning My Ears
I always enjoy reading about everyone's dining experiences at Disney... I seem to plan my vacations around food, so I find it helpful to get other people's opinions. So, as I sit here at work, I thought I would give my opinion on what I ate and drank last week on vacation. I can't believe it's over... :(

Sunday, April 23: 7:30 dinner at Boma. My sister and I arrived a bit early for our priority seating time, so we got a pager and headed up to the Victoria Falls lounge. To begin our vacation off right, my DSis bought me a cocktail that was very similar to a cosmo (with a bit of a tangerine taste to it) and she got a Margarita with an African twist (I'm sorry that I cannot remember the names of the drinks). They were very good and it was so nice to sit in the quiet lounge looking at the masses of people in Boma.

Finally our pager beeped and we were led to a perfect table next to a window that was a little quieter than the main dining area. I love the restaurant, but it can get very loud. As far as the food goes, I had some potatoes with afritude (just ok), a slice of prime rib (very good), tamarind glazed salmon (excellent...I had to have more on my second trip up to the buffet!), mac and cheese (very good), coconut curry chicken soup (delicious), a taste of pap (very plain...no taste), fufu (yummy), hummus (the sundried tomato was my favorite) and then a selection of desserts...of course, the zebra domes are the best! Wheww...it looks like I ate a lot, which I did...but they were small portions I swear :) .

Monday, April 26: Breakfast: 8:10am PS for the Crystal Palace.
My Dsis and I met up with my Dad, his wife, my two uncles and my aunt for b'fest with Pooh and friends. We were seated right away and the buffet was delicious. Eggs, bacon, fantastic cheesy hash browns, puffy french toast (I should have had more of this...what was I thinking?), and a taste of the breakfast lasagne I had heard so much about. Unfortunately, it had too much of a banana-y flavor for my taste...it was pretty though.

The atmosphere was loud, as is to be expected at a character meal with a lot of children, so it didn't bother me. The only thing that kind of bothered me is that the staff didn't do much to keep families from following the characters, instead of waiting for the characters to come to them. I came back from the buffet at one point to find a child standing on my chair so that the dad could get a picture with Pooh. Now, this child was not with our party, but I don't mind waiting a second for the Dad to take a shot, but they seemed totally oblivious that I was waiting to take my seat. It was a few minutes before they finally took their child and moved on... and my food was now cold. Some people....

2:00pm tea at the Grand Floridian: 5 of us had tea (my Dad and Uncle opted out) and it was very nice. A great way to have a quiet break in the day, especially if you do not go back to your resort for an afternoon nap. I ordered the Buckingham Palace tea with Earl Grey. The sandwiches come on individual plates, not on a 3-tiered plate that is traditional. If my memory serves, the tiny sandwiches were watercress and cucumber, salmon mousse and cream chees, pear (too sweet for me), egg salad, and chicken salad with nuts. They were all on different breads with no crusts. They were okay finger sandwiches...I had had better at other teas. The bread tasted a bit stale to me. Next came a mini scone with jam and clotted cream (the highlight) and a raspberry tart (I would have preferred another scone instead!). Then you have a choice of dessert...pastries (the choice of 2 off of a platter) or strawberries and cream. I chose the pastries...a chocolate covered strawberry (not a pastry, but one of my favorite things!) and a swan filled with a chocolate mousse (just ok). For some reason I thought the strawberries and cream would be berries in heavy cream...but it was whipped cream. When I saw the big bowl of berries that my Aunt got, I admit I was a bit jealous :)

Dinner - no ps... quick service at Epcot. Dsis and I went to Epcot earlier than the rest of our party and had fiesta margaritas and split a nacho platter with a side of guacamole at the Cantina de San Angel. At first glance the nachos were disappointing, with a cheeze whiz-type sauce and not a lot of meat. However, the cheese was actually fine (I was just expecting melted cheddar or something) and once we moved some chips there was plenty of beef under there! I was craving guacamole, but the side was so small it wasn't really worth the money. Overall, they were tasty and we were glad we split the order. It was really big.

Later on the rest of my family joined us and they ate dinner at the Liberty Inn. I didn't have anything but everything seemed good to them.

This is getting long, so I guess I'll spilt it up into parts.... Part 2 to come.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter