Dining Reviews 8/20 - 8/23

idors8

Earning My Ears
We just got back from spending Aug. 20- Aug. 28 at the Yacht Club. We, DH, DS & I had a great time and some really good meals. Here I have reviewed the first four days of our trip with the remaining days to follow.

Tues. 8/20 - Arrived at hotel about noon so no breakfast.
Lunch - Rose & Crown pub. This has become a must do for a first meal for me. We ate in the pub and ordered at the bar. We both had the fish and chips snack size, which in my opinion is a large enough portion for lunch.You get 2 pieces of fish and a nice portion of fries. Love to put the malt vinegar on them. Also had 2 Harp Lagers. aahhh. Alot of people seem to overlook the pub part of the restaurant, they were all eating their fish and chips outside in the heat. I was comfortable sitting in a nice air conditioned pub sipping my lager, soaking up the atmosphere, and happy as heck to finally be there.

Dinner - Cape May Buffet at the Beach Club. The food was pretty good. I am not a clam or mussel eater and there was enough other food for me to be satisfied. My DH had some clams and he said they were good. We all agreed that we did not like the New England clam chowder. I liked the antipasto type salad. The chicken was good, and we all really liked the ribs. They were juicy and meaty. Also had some potatoes and corn. For dessert we all sampled the different cakes that were out and for me the Oreo bonbons won hands down! They were an Oreo cookie with some kind of creamy mousse on top and covered in chocolate. Yum, wish I had room for more.

Wed. 8/21
Breakfast - Yacht Club Galley - DH and I had the buffet, DS had a Mickey waffle. The buffet was pretty decent, there were scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, hash browns, and a chefs special frittata which had different things in it such as cheese, tomatoes, zuccchini, onions, mushrooms, etc. It was different each time. There was also some fresh fruits, yogurt, oatmeal with different toppings, danish and my personal favorite, muffins. The cinnamon and apple ones were so good.

Lunch - We were so full from breakfast that we skipped it. For a snack, I had my very first Dole Whip float in the Magic Kingdom. I was so hot and it just hit the spot. So refreshing. Now I know what everyone is talking about! DS had a root beer float.

Dinner - 'Ohana. DH and I ordered 2 Lapu Lapus. They come in a fresh cut pineapple and are pretty big. The waitress also brought over 2 glasses with refills in them. All I can say is Whoaa Nelly! That 151 proof rum packs a big wallop! We really liked the little wontons, the salad and rice were good, though I didn't care for the chicken wings. The spices on them were not my cup of tea(or shall I say my cup of Lapu Lapu). The beef, pork loin and turkey were all moist and flavorful. DH and I liked the shrimp the best, they were large and spicy. We had seconds on the wontons and shrimp. For dessert we just had the fresh pineapple with the caramel sauce. Umm, umm good.

Snack - since we ate dinner at 6:00, by 9:00 we were hankering for something sweet. A brownie ala mode sundae at Beaches and Cream fit the bill nicely. We split one and it's a good thing because it was so big. A brownie on the bottom, covered by vanilla ice cream, topped with hot fudge sauce and whipped cream.

Thur. - 8/22
Breakfast - Yacht Club Galley. DH and DS had the Mickey waffles and I had 2 cinnamon streusel muffins. Mind you, these are small muffins.

Lunch - The Brown Derby in MGM. DS had the barbequed chicken caesar salad which he really liked. The chicken was delicious in it! I had the Cobb Salad, which I really enjoyed. Everything in it is really finely chopped. There is bacon, turkey,eggs, blue cheese, tomatoes, avocado & chives all over a bed of lettuce. Different from any salad I ever had. DH wasn't too hungry and he just had the chicken and chorizo quesedilla. He enjoyed it and it was just enough.

Snack - I had my first ever Mickey Bar. Yummy! DS had a Mickey ice cream sandwich and enjoyed it also. Then again, what's there not to like about ice cream?

Dinner - Flying Fish Cafe on Boardwalk. Started off with a cosmopolitan and a vodka martini. DS wasn't very hungry so he just had the peeky toe crab cakes. I ordered the chef's thunder of oak grilled mahi mahi over heirloom tomato risotto with basil cream. The fish wasdelicious and the risotto tasted like the essence of summer. It was so good. DH ordered the potato wrapped red snapper over leek fondue. His fish was good, though not as good as the mahimahi but the leek fondue was not to our taste at all. To me it tasted like onions with warm mayonnaise on it. We enjoyed dinner but we found the portions to be a bit on the small side. DH left hungry. Guess we should have ordered appetizers.

Dessert - we walked over to France in Epcot and had dessert at the pastry shop. We both had cappuccinos, DH had a napolean and I had a layered banana and chocolate mousse. Delicious. Also had two glasses of Mumm's champagne from the stand outside France. aahhh, this is living!

Fri. - 8/23
Breakfast - Yacht Club Galley. Breakfast buffets again, good as usual.

Lunch - Flame Tree Barbeque in AK. We all bought the meal tickets. DH and I had the smoked pork shoulder sandwich and DS had the barbeque chicken sandwich. All came with a side of baked beans ( which nobody ate) and a small piece of corn on the cob. We really didn't enjoy it at all. DS liked his chicken slightly better than the pork. The worst meal of our trip.

Snack - I had a chocolate covered frozen banana and DS had popcorn with the vouchers from lunch. DH didn't use his voucher so we gave it away. We also got 3 bottled waters with the vouchers

Dinner - Beaches and Cream in the Beach Club. DH, DS and I all had the double cheeseburgers. Also ordered a side of onion rings. They were some of the best cheeseburgers we ever had! Thick, juicy and huge! I couldn't finish mine. DH and DShad no problems, though. They came with a nice sized side of fries. The onion rings were batter dipped and very tasty. DH ordered a vanilla shake for dessert and I, who swore I couldn't possibly eat another bite, somehow found the room to cram some vanilla ice cream down my throat.

Well, that's it for now. I will be following up with the remaining days of our trip soon.

Thanks for the great reviews! We'll also be staying at the YC next month - can't wait!!!! :Pinkbounc

One question about the Rose & Crown. We are planning on eating lunch in UK on our arrival day. Is the pub counterservice or full service? We were planning on getting our fish & chips at the outside counter service place, but you made it sound like we could do the same thing inside?? We just want a very quick meal so do not want to eat inside if it's full-service. ....though it would be nice to get out of the heat!

threeboysmom - The pub is counter service. They have a very limited snack menu, fish and chips, a cheese plate, sausage roll, and one or two other things that I can't remember. We always go for the fish and chips anyway. The fish and chips is about $6.50 and it is a snack size, which has 2 pieces of fish and a side of fries. That's enough for us for lunch. You order at the bar and seat yourself at one of the few tables that they have in the pub area. Even though seating is very limited, we never had a problem getting a table. We do go early in the day, though. The bartender will call you when the order is ready and you go up and get it yourself. I love the atmosphere and I always make it a point to go into the pub and out of the heat. I hope you enjoy yourself and have a great trip!

Thanks for your QUICK reply! We'll have to try the pub this trip :) Great tip to beat the heat! :)

Wow! Thanks for the great reviews and the great info about Rose and Crown. I'll have to try the pub next time. I can eat, and DH can just have a beer.

Beach Club here we come!

Thanks for the reviews! I'm looking forward to the rest!

We are staying at the YC, and planning on breakfast at YC Galley. Did you have a PS, or was it just walk in? We are not usually breakfast eaters, so I am not sure what kind of crowds to anticipate!

The tip about the R&C pub is a great one - something to think about when a casual break for lunch is needed!

:earsgirl: Krissy

Krissalee - The Yacht Club Galley was not crowded at all, we had no ps, we just walked right in. You can also get a continental breakfast at Beaches and Cream, it's self serve and there are no hot selections, just fruits, muffins danish, croissants, the cutest Mickey head doughnuts, cereal, etc. That is ala carte.We did that a few mornings and brought it back to the room. Also forgot to add in my review that the Yacht Club Galley buffet also serves a selection of cold cereal.

Thanks idors8! I'm also interested in your meal at Flying Fish. It is one of our favorites, and we plan on eating there again in December.

:earsgirl: Krissy

Great reviews idors8! Isn't that YC Galley buffet great?? :teeth: :p I await your next set of dining reviews!

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YC RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great reviews! I was there up until the 21st. It was so sunny before we left. Looked like it was going to be a really nice day!

KCritter - Lucky You! You are leaving so soon! Have a great trip and happy eating!

Mimi70 - Yes the Yacht Club Galley was great, such a nice relaxed way to start the day. We never got there for lunch, always wanted to. Well, there's always a next time

supercarrie - I am making you hungry? I have been hungry since I got home! Having severe withdrawal symptoms. Someone give me a cinnamon muffin please!

epcotfan - I hope that you had a nice trip. Yes, the 21st did start out sunny, but at about 5:00 there was a huge storm. We were sitting in the cocktail lounge at the Polynesian before our dinner at 'Ohana and we watched it through the huge windows in the lounge. It was pretty wild, looked like a hurricane. By the time we were finished it had passed. Lucky us.

idors8
Do you remember where you sat at breakfast at YCG on 8/21, we were there also:) (myself and 4 yr old dd), from about 8:15-9 or so, it was very quiet (kinda nice:))--I also had the buffet and thought it was good! I see you were there almost each day for breakfast, nice, calm way to start the day:p

Thanks for your reviews!

jwfla422 - Yes, I do remember where we sat on 8/21. When you walk in, turn right and we were seated at one of the first few tables right there, near where the waitstaff walked in and out. We had Valerie as a waitress and she was so great, we asked for her every time. By the way, it was me DH and DS who is 15 but looks younger. Where were you sitting? I think we went in around 8:45 or so.

ds

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter