Dining table-mate assignments | Need clarification/advice

LiveToTravelNicely

You said it Doc. Imagination is a blast!
I've been on several NCL cruises that have flexible dinner dining and you never sit with other guests unless you request such. I'm confused how the DCL dining actually works. I read that they assign you to a table with certain people and a certain waitstaff that follows you around through all the restaurants. However, then it says I can choose to eat roomservice or one of the casual dining options. If I chose that, are my tablemates then left with a half empty table? Also, what are the chances of not being seated with others if going as a couple? I absolutely have no interest in trying to come up with small talk with a group of strangers. And this is the reason that I have not ever been able to actually take a cruise on DCL despite really wanting to. Thoughts and advice are much appreciated. Thank you! :)

You can call Disney and request a table for just your family.
They will tell you it’s just a request but ours has always been qranted.

Definitely make the request, and you can also follow up on that request when you board. I am not one for small talk with strangers either (despite the many posts of people saying they have really loved their tablemates). And yes if you don't eat dinner in the MDR on any given night, your tablemates would have a half empty table. DCL's rotational dining does have a nice perk which is that the servers get to know you and your preferences pretty early on.

I've been on several NCL cruises that have flexible dinner dining and you never sit with other guests unless you request such. I'm confused how the DCL dining actually works. I read that they assign you to a table with certain people and a certain waitstaff that follows you around through all the restaurants. However, then it says I can choose to eat roomservice or one of the casual dining options. If I chose that, are my tablemates then left with a half empty table? Also, what are the chances of not being seated with others if going as a couple? I absolutely have no interest in trying to come up with small talk with a group of strangers. And this is the reason that I have not ever been able to actually take a cruise on DCL despite really wanting to. Thoughts and advice are much appreciated. Thank you! :)

Each night, there is a Main Seating and a Second Seating for dinner. In general, the Main Seating begins between 5:45 PM and 6:15 PM and the Second Seating begins between 8:00 PM and 8:30 PM, though these times may vary based on itinerary.

You are also assigned a dining rotation through the three restaurants. You are also assigned a table at each restaurant. So a three night cruise on the Dream...you may have Animator's Palate, Enchanted Garden, Royal Court. You serving team will go through the same rotations.

Yes, if you do not go to dinner at your assigned time for whatever reason, your table will be empty (of half-empty)

You can request a table for only two.

While it is true we cannot predict the type of people you get seated with you may actually get amazing tablemates. We were very apprehensive about our first cruise but we ended up really enjoying every meal, they had to clean around us as we sat and talked for a while. We truly made some really great friends.

While it is true we cannot predict the type of people you get seated with you may actually get amazing tablemates. We were very apprehensive about our first cruise but we ended up really enjoying every meal, they had to clean around us as we sat and talked for a while. We truly made some really great friends.
We've done 22 cruises. Only 2 of which we were seated with only our group (well, we were a party of 5 on one and a party of 6 on another).

All other cruises we've been seated (assigned) with others. Only had issues with 2 people on one cruise (happily on the same cruise). And the issues were one only ate in the buffet for dinner and the other found friends on the other seating time that she switched to. I second the "you can't predict, you may get amazing tablemates" thought.

We had the same experience. We are cruising in February for the fourth time with the cruise friends we shared a table with a couple of years ago.

On my first Disney cruise we requested a table for just two and got it. My second cruise we were in concierge where the table alone is guaranteed. I am not a fan of sharing a table with others, I've made friends on cruises and had our dinning changed to be with them, but I haven't had good experiences just being randomly assigned. There is no dinner buffet on Disney, the buffet area becomes a sit down restaurant with some items from the main dining rooms menus.

Thank you all for all of your tips and comments. I guess my main apprehension is during the muster drill of our very first NCL cruise we sat with some people that just complained, complained, and complained some more. (two different couples, too, that didn't know each other- the negativity just fed off each other including talk of "i hope this boat doesn't sink") I'm terrified of getting randomly assigned to someone like this. I do not want spend money to have a trip ruined over such. However, I have always thought that Disney people are happier people, yes? (not always, but roll with me!) so, perhaps it would be ok on DCL. Anyway, I think what we're going to do is attach a 3 night cruise out of Port Canaveral at the end of our February trip to WDW to give it a try. Then, if we like that method, do a longer DCL cruise in the future. :)

Thank you all for all of your tips and comments. I guess my main apprehension is during the muster drill of our very first NCL cruise we sat with some people that just complained, complained, and complained some more. (two different couples, too, that didn't know each other- the negativity just fed off each other including talk of "i hope this boat doesn't sink") I'm terrified of getting randomly assigned to someone like this. I do not want spend money to have a trip ruined over such. However, I have always thought that Disney people are happier people, yes? (not always, but roll with me!) so, perhaps it would be ok on DCL. Anyway, I think what we're going to do is attach a 3 day cruise out of Port Canaveral at the end of our February trip to WDW to give it a try. Then, if we like that method, do a longer DCL cruise in the future. :)

Let's face it though, the muster drill is the worst if you are stuck out on deck. Still remember our first drill which was in the direct sunlight in 90 degree heat and lasted nearly an hour because someone didn't show up and couldn't be found. Pretty sure I complained quite a bit that they wouldn't at least let the kids sit down while we were just waiting around. So sorry--I don't think DCL is free of complainers! That said, I can't recall ever complaining about anything at dinner time.

We always request late dining and have never been refused a private table. That said, even if you're seated "alone" tables are often so close together that you might as well be tablemates with your neighbors... but we've always had great neighbors. :) The difference, I guess, is that if you don't get along with your neighbors you can choose not to engage with them without being rude. With tablemates, not so much.

I am completely with the private table camp. I can't imagine making small talk with strangers every evening of my vacation. I want quality time with my family and friends (when we cruise together!).

We have always been granted our own table when requested.

The great thing is there is the option to be at an assigned table with others who enjoy this aspect of cruising and also the option to dine at your own table.

Thank you all for all of your tips and comments. I guess my main apprehension is during the muster drill of our very first NCL cruise we sat with some people that just complained, complained, and complained some more. (two different couples, too, that didn't know each other- the negativity just fed off each other including talk of "i hope this boat doesn't sink") I'm terrified of getting randomly assigned to someone like this. I do not want spend money to have a trip ruined over such. However, I have always thought that Disney people are happier people, yes? (not always, but roll with me!) so, perhaps it would be ok on DCL. Anyway, I think what we're going to do is attach a 3 night cruise out of Port Canaveral at the end of our February trip to WDW to give it a try. Then, if we like that method, do a longer DCL cruise in the future. :)

No, not necessarily. Just because someone likes Disney (or happened to be dragged onto a Disney cruise), doesn't mean they are any nicer than guests on other cruise lines. Plenty of non-congenial types on DCL as well. As many people pointed out, you can request a private table and I highly recommend it. We've always gotten a private table on DCL. If I happen to meet someone in passing during an activity or excursion, great. But I absolutely do not want to make a commitment to dine with the same random strangers every evening of my cruise.

..I'm terrified of getting randomly assigned to someone like this. I do not want spend money to have a trip ruined over such.

IF you didn't get your request for a private table granted, roll with it. Odds are you will get seated with a lovely couple and make new friends. However, if that didn't happen? Just tell someone that very first night, and I'll bet you will get moved or get a private table. Disney wants their guests to be happy. I certainly wouldn't NOT cruise over it, nor would I let it ruin the experience.

We just returned from a 3-week trip to Italy with a couple we met on one of our Med cruises at our table. This trip was our second land trip together where we shared a suite/apartment with them, we've cruised twice with them (including the first where we met) and been to WDW with them at least 3 times (they live in Florida) and we have 3 more WDW trips planned where we intend to meet up with them.

We've had some OK tablemates, some great ones where we've really got along and still keep in touch (and have cruised with again). None I would say were awful or difficult to get along with. And if there's friction or difficulties it's always an option to ask if it's possible to be moved or then just decide to go to Cabanas or room service or other for dinner.

A colleague of mine just came back from a DCL cruise. Her youngest son got sick one day so she asked if she could take him to dinner at the late seating once he was feeling better (they had early seating normally) and they found space for them. They were at Animator's Palate which was at the back of the ship and it was moving too much for him to be comfortable eating so they moved them to Lumiere's where he was much more comfortable. That was just for the one night. So, if they can, they'll do whatever's possible to accommodate. Obviously depends on availability but I was impressed that they were able to accommodate her twice for just the one night.

thanks OP . i just added a 'private table' request via the chat function on DCLs website . the CM said its not a guarantee but they like to make the guest happy!!! Weve never cruised by ourselves so it didnt occur to me that we would have table mates!! Not big on small talk with strangers. LOL I might be missing out on some good friends though!

If you have 2 rooms that are in your party, are you less likely or equally likely to be put with strangers. We will have five in two rooms. I'm hoping it's just the five of us at a table, and not an 8 top with another family.

If you have 2 rooms that are in your party, are you less likely or equally likely to be put with strangers. We will have five in two rooms. I'm hoping it's just the five of us at a table, and not an 8 top with another family.

Its certainly possibly they could put you at a 8 table with another family of three but not likely. However if it is important to you to be just your family then by all means hop on the chat at DCL and ask them to make that note. You'll need your reservation numbers and ask the CM if you have to put the request on both reservations since you have two cabins linked. Have fun! I wouldn't want to ruin my dining experience being with strangers. Some people love it but you shouldn't leave it to chance if you can at least ask ahead of time!!

If you really want your own table - regardless of party size - make sure the request is on your reservation. Then, when you board, go to the dining changes location noted in the navigator and check on your table - they will know there if your request has been honored and if not, they can probably make a change there (if possible - on very full cruises there are often not may tables available for adjustments).

We have traveled with the in-laws in 2 rooms at least 7 times, and usually got placed at an 8-top with a family of 3. This was not the case in our B2B 7n Caribbean cruises (probably easier to give us our own table for keeping our serving staff), a 12N Baltic (may have been requested) and our last 7n cruise (was not pre-requested, but arranged once on board - we had been at a larger table). So in my experience, unless you request it, you're still likely to be placed with another smaller party. We always enjoyed our table mates - they usually had a child my daughter's age, which worked out well. As a party of 3, we were once also seated at a similar table with a family of 3 and grandparents. So in my experience, you're more likely to be added to an 8-top than get your own 6-top.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!