Dining Wars: Drinking's Edge - An August 2018 Dining Report - Updated 2/18: Completed

We were at Disney at almost the exact same time as you guys! Also for 10 days and we’re so bummed by the pool situation We stayed at the Poly (maybe once in a lifetime!) and the kids were so thrilled to use the pool and out of 10 days they got in *3* times! One of those being at 11pm We had a whole resort day and only got to use it for an hour! We tried afternoon breaks, evening breaks and early mornings and it was closed CONSTANTLY! We were really so upset by it. We’ve only been to Disney twice, but that didn’t happen previously and we also went in August. Definitely wouldn’t plan a trip around an amazing resort pool!

And this pic of Casey is adorable and I thought her hair braid was a mozzarella string in her hair!

You always write the BEST reports, I get a little sad when they are over!

You will enjoy SOG. The rooms are YUUUGE, you can see the MK fireworks from the pool, Its quiet, the prices are fantastic for food & drink, a short walk to the Poly, and the transportation is both reliably consistent, and rarely crowded.

Thanks for mentioning Tables in Wonderland. It is so nice to get a discount on grown-up Disney beverages, and food. Plus, you can order whatever you want. Looks like a great trip report.

OMG!! the best trip!!! We ate at Cali Grill and there was a proposal out on the balcony while we were there watching the fireworks, and then dinners at Morimoto's (where Geraldo Rivera sat down at the table next to us!!??) and then The Boathouse and finally Homecomin - my biggest issue was that DH had given me his cold so my taste buds were "off" a little and I was so stuffy the night we were at Homecomin' I couldnt taste anything..
Hi there! I think you wrote this on day 2 of our latest trip and I haven't been on here since then! Work is absolutely insane but I'm finally finding some me time to get back into my favorite pastime. We did get to CG again and it disappointed us a bit. More to come on that though. Hopefully I can get my next report started next weekend sometime.

I would have died if Geraldo Rivera sat down next to me! Well heck anyone famous.

I've been on trips before when you can't taste anything and that is just the worst. Poor Jason had that happen in Vegas one time and he still hasn't let me forget that he couldn't taste anything.

and.....best news ever...

we BOUGHT DVC @ Copper Creek!! :jumping1::cool1::cool1::cool1:
That is the best news ever!!!!! How exciting for you. If we were ever to buy DVC this is exactly where I'd want to be!!!!!

Oh I totally agree, true tipsy notes must just happen, they cannot be planned in advance. On a totally separate note, given your love of carciofi and pizza (with charred crust of course), I had to note that I am currently in Rome on business (plus pleasure, because....Rome!), and have managed to have some form of artichoke in almost all of my dinners. Though I only know you from reading a few of your trip reports (which are my favs), it's funny that I thought of you when having this food. Funny how these boards can make these random connections! Have you been to Rome? Hope you are enjoying an amazing Disney trip, with your yummy carciofi appetizers and pizza with a perfectly charred crust!
Did I miss the invitation to Rome in my inbox? :P Seriously though that sounds absolutely amazing. I hope your trip was absolutely divine. Anything in Italy I'm sure it good, but artichokes for dinner every night would be right up my alley. You'll be shocked to know we just got back from the grocery store and I picked up some artichokes to make later this weekend.

I've never been to Rome but I"m sure we'll get there sometime. My Grandma was from Sicily so I must definitely have to get there at some point.

We did get back to Via Napoli for our latest trip and you'll be shocked to know there was actually no carciofi on my pizza this time around!

We stayed at the Poly (maybe once in a lifetime!) and the kids were so thrilled to use the pool and out of 10 days they got in *3* times! One of those being at 11pm We had a whole resort day and only got to use it for an hour!
Here I thought it was just us a Beach Club having issues. We've never had this issue before in August so I'm thinking they have tightened up their policies. We are going back in August again this year and staying at a moderate resort so we're not too upset if we don't get much pool time in.

And this pic of Casey is adorable and I thought her hair braid was a mozzarella string in her hair!
:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: Good thing she didn't eat her hair.

You always write the BEST reports, I get a little sad when they are over!

You will enjoy SOG. The rooms are YUUUGE, you can see the MK fireworks from the pool, Its quiet, the prices are fantastic for food & drink, a short walk to the Poly, and the transportation is both reliably consistent, and rarely crowded.
Me too! Good news is I will hopefully get our next one started in the next week or so.

We did enjoy Shades of Green. Of course the price was amazing, but the rooms were beyond anything we've had at Disney size wise. Unfortunately Jason didn't really care for it though. He didn't like the transportation options and would get annoyed at the changing security policies and long back ups at the gate. Of course I'm used to this from work, but he was not. Headed back to a Disney resort next trip, but I'm sure we'll do shades again another time.

Thanks for mentioning Tables in Wonderland. It is so nice to get a discount on grown-up Disney beverages, and food. Plus, you can order whatever you want. Looks like a great trip report.
You got that right. I'm sure our drinks alone more than make-up for the cost of the card. We usually get 3 trips off of one and its well worth it.

Kari, this was SO fun to read!!!!!! :) I have been trying to survive Kindergarten until 10:30 today when we FINALLY start our spring break, and this TR got me through the week. Looking forward to meeting you in just a few weeks!!!!

Kari, this was SO fun to read!!!!!! :) I have been trying to survive Kindergarten until 10:30 today when we FINALLY start our spring break, and this TR got me through the week. Looking forward to meeting you in just a few weeks!!!!
Thanks so much Jackie. Glad I could help you get through the week and more importantly hope you enjoy a well deserved spring break. Can't wait to meet you too!

Thank you so much for your wonderful report! You have a lovely family and a great sense of humour :goodvibes
Thank you very much. So happy to hear when other enjoy our adventures.

You will. I'm a bachelorette this weekend so hoping I can get it started today (after me and multiple trash bags attack Casey's room)

Oh good! I was starting to worry! I love me some tipsy notes! Are you Marie Kondoing that room?

Not like I should talk I haven’t done a report my last few trips.....

If that is the Netflix organizer lady than no. I will just be happy with getting some toys and clutter out of there without her knowing.

Haha that’s her, not that I’ve watched the show, but anytime I throw anything out I say I’m Marie Kondoing this sh!t

I’m so creative...

Did I miss the invitation to Rome in my inbox? :P Seriously though that sounds absolutely amazing. I hope your trip was absolutely divine. Anything in Italy I'm sure it good, but artichokes for dinner every night would be right up my alley. You'll be shocked to know we just got back from the grocery store and I picked up some artichokes to make later this weekend.

I've never been to Rome but I"m sure we'll get there sometime. My Grandma was from Sicily so I must definitely have to get there at some point.

We did get back to Via Napoli for our latest trip and you'll be shocked to know there was actually no carciofi on my pizza this time around!

Oh, you would be in artichoke heaven in Italy, you should definitely go! Just saw that you started a new trip report, excited to follow your latest adventure!

Episode IV: Pre-Birthday Wars: Tipsy’s Edge

After our adventurous day in Magic Kingdom we headed back to Boardwalk for a break. The boys napped and drank a few beers (not in that order) while us women folk visited the Creepy Clown Pool.

We also stopped by the Boardwalk Bakery to pick up some coffee for the aforementioned napping boys and some sweets for us.

Casey got the mermaid cupcake which she said tasted like old freezer. Gonna go out on a limb and say that was not the flavor profile they were going for. I also got a cheesecake brownie that Jason thought was for him and ate while I was in the shower. #AnotherBirthdayWin

After snacks and cleaning up our plan was to head to Disney Springs for some bar hopping. Unfortunately it was pouring rain so we enjoyed a few adult beverages in the room while we contemplated our options. There weren’t too many ADRs for 5 open so we decided to chance it and head to Animal Kingdom Lodge to see what trouble we could find.

Sadly, after first stopping at Kidani, the Sanna lounge was packed but thankfully after a quick bus ride we found an empty Jiko lounge to spend our evening in.

We started with a bottle of Guillermo Swartland Pinotage

And toasted my last night of 43

This was one of several bottles we went through over the course of the evening and things (or at least my notes) went downhill from there. Thankfully Casey had seen this rodeo before and came prepared with her electronics.

For eats we started with the Elk Flabtread which the menu describes as Elk Loin, Harissa-infused Goat Cheese, and Olive-Arugula Salad.

My tipsy notes however had a different take. “Elk flatbread awesome elk nog dry spicy good pears goat cheese crunky arugula.” Translation: We liked it.

We also ordered their other seasonal flatbread the South African Succotash Flatbread with Corn Salad, Patty Pan Squash, Toy Tomatoes, Fava Bean Puree, and Four Cheese Blend.

Or you could go with my tipsy notes description: “No bueno stink cheese Jason smells drity feet. No corn but like peter pan.” Translation: It smelled like dirty feet but we liked the paddy pan squash.

Next up we have the Pork Tenderloin with Mealie Pap, Chakalaka, Herb-smoked Oil, and Micro Cilantro

Clearly they should instead change their menu to say “Cooked pinky n juicy. Love PAP!!!! Tomata spicey chaka.”

Oddly all of this was not food for 4 adults downing a few bottles of wine so bring on round two.

Here we have the Taste of Africa with African-inspired Dips (Red Sambal, Hummus, Mango Chutney and Raita), Pappadum, Sesame Fatir, and House-made Flax Seed Naan.

I’m going to go with we liked it because “Love warm Egypt amazing rival Sanna naan naan but do not flax just plane crunch. Live sambal most hummus nned more olive mango chuty nice good thick cuc stuff.”

Lastly we have a charcuterie plate and God only knows what was on this because….

“Packing on meat side Smoked prociuto and salami mustard more stink casey spit but berry sauce eat honeycomb and one with stachios like stinky best” Translation: There was some prosciutto and salami and more stinky cheese that I believe Casey spit out.

You’ll be shocked to know I didn’t write down how much we saved with Tables in Wonderland. Hopefully we actually used it.

We eventually uber’d back to Boardwalk and put Casey to bed before a night cap in J and D’s room. They were kind enough to pack my favorite tipsy foods – Chex mix and Potato Chips – so we did some serious damage before succumbing to bed.

Up next, tipsy birthday around the world!!
I spontaneously burst out laughing three different times reading this. your notes are HILARIOUS!!!! keep it up girl! :D

Somehow I managed to miss your August 2018 dining/trip report. I don't usually visit the dining reviews forum but boredom forced me to check it out. We stayed at the Beach Club in June 2018 and experienced the lovely addition of scaffolding and closures. It was very disappointing.

I look forward to reading all about your trip. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!