Dining with a handicapped kid

minkydog

DIS Cast Member
We are going to be camping at FW during Thanksgiving week, Sat-Fri. There will be 5-6 of us, including my very mentally handicapped son. We had hoped to go to HDD, but after giving it a lot of thought, decided that DS10 would not tolerate sitting still for that long(boo-hoo!) We considered hiring a babysitter, but I don't feel comfortable about leaving him with a total stranger(he's nonverbal and very, very active). So we are trying to come up with some other ideas for family meals. You know, "'ohana", nobody gets left behind.

We like to eat out about once a day, having breakfast at the camper and a light supper/snack when we return for the day. At Epcot we'll definitely go to Le Cellier for cheese soup & breadsticks. Thought we'd try either Crystal Palace or Columbia House at MK. We've been to CRT several times. What do you recommend at AKL? Flame Tree BBQ? (We won't be going to MGM this time around.) Welike buffets, because we can get served fast and usually can find something DS will eat.

I thought for the first night we'd like to go to Rainforest Cafe in DTD--do they take PS? Other suggestions,perhaps? Boma? We will be there through Thanksgiving, so we will also be looking for a non-park restaurant that day also--What would you suggest? Trails' End? 'Ohana? Golden Corral? I'm not cooking a turkey in my pop-up!

How soon have we make our PS? would it make any sense for us to get MYW meals?

I don't think you can make PSs for RFC at DTD. However, you can for the one at AK and I was going to suggest that for a fun place. Our son loves it.

He also enjoys Hoop Dee Doo although he went through a stage where the noise at the end bothered him. I would just leave with him before that part. There is so much going on that he never gets bored and he loves music and there is lots of music.

Boma is only open for breakfast and dinner but if you want a buffet, that might be a good choice for THanksgiving. I wonder if Boma has extended hours on Thanksgiving? "Ohana is served family style but I think I remeber reading that turkey was served at least one year? I wouldn't count on that though as things like that seem to change.

If you only plan on ating out once/day, I don't think MYW dining would be good value.

Why not try the buffets at Chef mickey's in the Contemp hotel-lots of singing , kids, and napkin waving. There is also at buffet at 1900 Park fare in the GF hotel. It is very nice.

Trail's End right there in Ft Wilderness has a good basic buffet.

One thing to be aware of for Rainforest is that it is very noisy. There is a lot of background noise and every once in a while, there is a rainstorm and I think it's the volcano that goes off.

SueM in MN said:
One thing to be aware of for Rainforest is that it is very noisy. There is a lot of background noise and every once in a while, there is a rainstorm and I think it's the volcano that goes off.

Oh, wow, a volcano;that might be a bit much...Christian is sensitive to sudden loud noises. Maybe RFC isn't a good idea for us.

Here's a link to the Rainforest Cafe website. There are pictures and descriptions. They have a "Contact Us" link where you can ask questions. The times we've eaten there, I remember a constant level of noise from the waterfalls. There's a thunderstorm in the distance that I think comes "closer" every once in a while. On the outside, there is a volcano that goes off peiodically. I just can't remember if it goes off inside or not.
If you go to the link for locations, it does give info about making PS at all locations (including AK and DD).

I think Sue's description of constant background noise at RFC is very good.

The thunder followed by the sound of rain isn't so intense as too startle my two with different noise issues. Our daughter with cp can't tolerate sudden, loud sounds. Our son with DS doesn't like prolonged loud situations. Both are fine at RFC. In fact, to our chagrin they both love it. My DH and I aren't wild about the food but go for them.

I've also not seen any toddlers or babies cry at the noise.

Of course, everyone is different and it is good to be aware of the situation.

Thank you very much. We might just do this one. My DD12 would love it--she's such an animal lover. It is sometimes hard to balance the needs of our DS10 with the desires and needs of everybody else. I often expect my other kids to just "suck it up", to cheerfully give up what they would like in order to accomodate him(or at least prevent a meltdown). I have no doubt that we will do some things seperately, and I am still considering HDD for three of us--DH may stay behind and let me take my mother & DD12. You have given me much hope and lots to consider. Thanks to all of you.

You of course know your son's interests, so I don't want to talk you into taking him someplace he cannot handle. However, if he likes music, and live entertainment, he just may enjoy the HHD. It is a lot of fun, with corney jokes and lots of visual stimulation. It isn't just food. As someone posted, however, it can get loud when they pass out the washboards at the end. Since you are staying at FW, why not try listening in on the HHD at the Trails End, to see if it may be something your son could enjoy. You might want to consider making a reservation for the HHD. They are hard to get the closer you get to your date, and the reservation can always be cancelled, if you decide it is not to your likeing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter