Dinner at ‘AMA ‘AMA and Makahiki Buffet

We also did the dinner buffet at Makahiki the last night of our most recent trip and everyone found the food surprisingly good. Loved the prime rib!

Just returned after spending last week at Aulani. We did breakfast and dinner at Makahiki (character version) plus dinner at Ama Ama. After this first experience, none were must dos or must don'ts for us, however, the only one I felt was a good value was Makahiki dinner. I got my money's worth in Ahi Poke. :fish:

So I am reading and trying to learn all about Aulani. I have never been to Hawaii so I know nothing about it. AMA ama is good and pricey but sit down Breakfast,lunch and dinner? Makahiki is buffet and so so? Roy’s is this on property? Monkey pod?? We are staying using our points so we plan to eat breakfast in most mornings. Lunch occasionally but plan to eat out all of the nights. The Luau where is that?? Is it good? I hope someone here with be my guide and tell me the ins and out.. what to do and not do? My husband and I are just 60 so I’d like to do some tours. Are there package bus trips to do? I don’t need character meals. I LOVE the mouse, I am a disney fanatic but I don’t usually do character meals at DISNEYLAND just because they are too expensive. It’s costing enough to use all my pints and the flight over so I want to make sure I get to see some must see sights. And eat some good meals. Any help would be so appreciated.

So I am reading and trying to learn all about Aulani. I have never been to Hawaii so I know nothing about it. AMA ama is good and pricey but sit down Breakfast,lunch and dinner? Makahiki is buffet and so so? Roy’s is this on property? Monkey pod?? We are staying using our points so we plan to eat breakfast in most mornings. Lunch occasionally but plan to eat out all of the nights. The Luau where is that?? Is it good? I hope someone here with be my guide and tell me the ins and out.. what to do and not do? My husband and I are just 60 so I’d like to do some tours. Are there package bus trips to do? I don’t need character meals. I LOVE the mouse, I am a disney fanatic but I don’t usually do character meals at DISNEYLAND just because they are too expensive. It’s costing enough to use all my pints and the flight over so I want to make sure I get to see some must see sights. And eat some good meals. Any help would be so appreciated.
It has been almost 2 years since we have been to Aulani so I can't comment recently on Ama'Ama or Makahiki, but the last time we went, we ate at Ama'Ama for dinner and for breakfast (twice)...dinner was ok, expensive but ok, breakfast we enjoyed much more. On this visit we did not eat at Makahiki, so I can't answer that. Roy's is just a short walk from the resort, we loved our meal there. Price wise it was comparable to Ama'Ama, but we thought it was a much better meal. It appears that Ama'Ama has changed the menu since our last visit, so I will be curious to see if we enjoy it more on our upcoming visit. Monkeypod is across the street from the resort, we enjoyed our visits there, we plan to visit is couple times this upcoming trip as well. There is a Luau on property and one just a short walk from the resort, Paradise Cove. Have not done the one on property. Have a great trip!

It has been almost 2 years since we have been to Aulani so I can't comment recently on Ama'Ama or Makahiki, but the last time we went, we ate at Ama'Ama for dinner and for breakfast (twice)...dinner was ok, expensive but ok, breakfast we enjoyed much more. On this visit we did not eat at Makahiki, so I can't answer that. Roy's is just a short walk from the resort, we loved our meal there. Price wise it was comparable to Ama'Ama, but we thought it was a much better meal. It appears that Ama'Ama has changed the menu since our last visit, so I will be curious to see if we enjoy it more on our upcoming visit. Monkeypod is across the street from the resort, we enjoyed our visits there, we plan to visit is couple times this upcoming trip as well. There is a Luau on property and one just a short walk from the resort, Paradise Cove. Have not done the one on property. Have a great trip!

Thank you for your help. There is a Luau across the street? Also I’ve heard great things about the Polynesian cultural center luau and the village. Any thoughts on that?

Thank you for your help. There is a Luau across the street? Also I’ve heard great things about the Polynesian cultural center luau and the village. Any thoughts on that?
The Paradise Cove luau is on the other side of The Four Seasons resort, just a short walk down from Aulani. We have not been to the Polynesian Cultural Center to comment on that.

We went to both for dinner. The evening at Ama Ama was nice, my wife chose the Macadamia nut crusted Mahi Mahi (special that night)
Ama1.jpg
and I got a steak with the Kona coffee glaze.
Ama2.jpg
The big mistake - we BOTH got their trio of mashed potatoes (Idaho, Taro, and Sweet potato) which STUFFED us over the top!
Ama3.jpg
Dessert, the lady got the Lava Chocolate cake, but I got this amazing thing that I will not attempt to explain except the waiter said it takes 3 days to make and it's filled with this chocolate pudding/cake/thing and was delicious.
Ama5.jpg
It was all really good, but for some reason it wasn't as memorable as other meals we had on the trip. It might have been us.

Actually, we enjoyed Makahiki a little more than Ama Ama. The buffet-style gave variety and most everything (like the kitchen sink in there somewhere) was good.
Mel1.jpg
The desserts were less memorable than Ama Ama's - but the key is to ask for the Kona coffee - which was included in the all-you-can-eat buffet.
mel2.jpg

We found Makahiki to be quite good for dinner, as we focused on the seafood. Breakfast was good also, but we considered it more typical breakfast buffet food. We ate dinner in our room a handful of times--leftover pizza, takeout (hot and cold) from the ABC market across the street, etc--to save a little money and just because some nights we didn't want to clean up and go out.

We did the Paradise Cove luau and really enjoyed it. Aulani has a luau as well, as does the Marriott, so you have some options there.

There are plenty of opportunities to meet Mickey and co outside of meals, for free. Just like the park meet and greets.

If you speak and read English (which you clearly do!), the island is quite easy to navigate. Personally I would recommend a rental car over a tour. If you're touring because you're worried about finding places or driving conditions, don't sweat that. But if you just like that touring experience, then I'm sure some others will jump in with recommendations.

You're going to have an awesome trip!!

The buffet is very seafood heavy and I wasn't a huge fan as I don't like seafood. Ama Ama is beautiful but to me Roys is better and certainly less expensive. The view at Ama Ama is awesome

We were at Aulani in March - I thought the food was better at Makahiki than at AMA AMA, and the service at AMA AMA was just bad. For what you’re paying they should be nice to you. The best restaurant we went to was Roy’s at the Ko Olina Golf Club. There is a shuttle bus between all the Ko Olina hotels so it was really easy to get to. Monkeypod in the shopping center across the street was pretty good too.

And yes, there are Mickey waffles at the character breakfast. Best ones I’ve ever had!

Can you find Mickey waffles elsewhere at Aulani? Like a Quick Service location?

Surprised at all the hate for ‘Ama’Ama in this thread. My wife and I went multiple times on our honeymoon in 2016 and loved it (though admittedly I got the same thing three times - the fish steamed in a banana leaf with tamarind sauce and coconut rice). We did the buffet which was fine, but the quality of the food was much better at ‘Ama’Ama.

For those who have been before, is dinner at the two Aulani table service locations worth it? I’m having a hard time tracking down in depth dining reviews, but from what I’ve seen it isn’t very positive. I do have a character breakfast booked at Makahiki and I do have breakfast and lunch reservations for AMA AMA. Any help on dinner would be appreciated!

Just as an FYI - Aulani has one table service restaurant (Ama Ama) - Makahiki is a buffet style restaurant for breakfast and dinner. Enjoy your stay!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!