Dinner at Skipper Canteen + Fireworks Dessert Party

hello starshine

Mouseketeer
Hi guys,

We're going to be in Disney in early March and I've been getting the itch to do something a little special for this trip --- so I've came up with the dessert party for the HEA fireworks (garden viewing) since this will be the first time we're seeing the non-Wishes fireworks & we've never done a dessert party before. The day that we'd be doing this is March 9th when HEA is at 8pm and the party starts at 6:30pm. We have a dinner reservation at Skipper Canteen for 5pm this night.

Is this super stupid? Is it too close in time? I've seen people say don't do a dessert party on a day you have a dinner ADR but I really don't think we'd be seeing the fireworks any other night and we're on the dining plan so I'd have to do some major shifting in planning to cancel that ADR. Should I just not do the dessert party? Is there anything else you would recommend that could be a little special addition to our trip? We're 3 adult women if that helps.

Thank you so much for the opinions.

I don't think it's super stupid at all. Unless I'M super stupid, because that's exactly what we've done when we've attended dessert parties! LOL! I can't eat desserts unless I've eaten something resembling a real meal first, so we always have dinner beforehand. Skippers doesn't take terribly long, so you will probably be out of there by 6 pm. You also don't have to show up at the dessert party exactly at 6:30 pm (we tend to show up about 15 minutes late). There is typically a mad dash to the buffet in the beginning and if you go a little later, you miss the long check-in line and the mad dash. So, that would give you a little more time between your meal and your desserts. Anyway - I would keep both!

For me, no way I could do a TS dinner before a dessert party, especially that close. We do QS a few hours before, and I get a kids meal or my dd and I split a meal. I would be too full to enjoy the desserts if I did TS right before.

Skipper Canteen meals aren't super-huge, so just skip the appetizers and deserts and you should be okay. Of course, they have really good deserts there, but that's what will fill you up. Save it for the Desert Party!

I also agree that it is a mistake to treat the desert party as diner. I did that once. Desert for dinner is not as fun as it sounds! That's why I ate more cheese and olives than anything else.

It's not stupid at all. If you were afraid you would get full don't be afraid to split meals and appetizers at dinner time that way you won't be so full from eating a large meal. When we went to the dessert party we had a late lunch/early dinner at LTT which held us over very nicely so we were able to enjoy many of the desserts that were offered that evening.

Yes. It is super stupid to me . But as you see everyone feels differently. I would never do a desert party this close to dinner

We decided to do the After Happily Ever Dessert Party after a very early BOG dinner. So we'll have dinner at 430 and won't need to eat again, lol, till after HEA about 830ish and then we'll watch the masses leave while we have some treats. Honestly, we chose to do the after dessert party to not have to guard or wait for a spot to see the fireworks and have a leisurely walk out of the park, so the treats are a bonus.

Thank you all for the responses. I am still leaning towards doing the party. And Skipper's not-huge portions were one of the things I was thinking about too. I think if we were doing a buffet-style meal I would have said 100% no LOL.

We decided to do the After Happily Ever Dessert Party after a very early BOG dinner. So we'll have dinner at 430 and won't need to eat again, lol, till after HEA about 830ish and then we'll watch the masses leave while we have some treats. Honestly, we chose to do the after dessert party to not have to guard or wait for a spot to see the fireworks and have a leisurely walk out of the park, so the treats are a bonus.

I had completely written off doing the after-fireworks party because we are usually people who leave immediately after the fireworks but I'm now wondering if this would be our better option. After eating at 5 we would almost certainly be ready for something sweet by the time the party is. And the park doesn't close until 12am this night so we wouldn't be fighting the 9pm-park-closing crowds, as well as being able to skip the rush to the buses after the fireworks. Hmmmmmmmm!

We are doing Skipper’s Canteen for dinner and the after fireworks party. That gives us a bit of a break and lets us skip the mad fireworks rush. It also lets you get into the fireworks area earlier and not have to rush eating your dessert worrying if you are going to get a spot.

I don't think it's stupid necessarily, as I would definitely prefer to eat a meal of some sort prior to eating a bunch of desserts. The main issue I would have with Skippers on the DP is that your meal will include a dessert, which I probably wouldn't want to indulge in right before a dessert party. So, you'll be losing some of that DP "value" if you skip the dessert at dinner. But probably not a big deal overall or enough to change plans over. Enjoy!

I don't think it's stupid. We don't really care about the desserts at all. We do the parties for the convenience of having a nice reserved spot for the fireworks.

The desserts are fine (think Costco quality) & I love the chocolate-covered strawberries but you will never "get your money's worth," and if you tried, you'd probably get sick.

We usually go after a TS dinner, enjoy the show, have tea/coffee & relax. We will probably never do the "before" party again. Terrace or "after" party only, depending on who is coming.

You can also consider taking your dessert from dinner to go. If you end up eating it for breakfast one day, we won't judge :mickeybar

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter