Dinner Show Help

Discussion in 'Disney Restaurants' started by Aj1129, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Aj1129

Aj1129 Earning My Ears

I'm starting to plan our August trip and will be staying at Wilderness Lodge. We haven't yet experienced any dinner shows and are torn between trying Mickey's BBQ and HDDR. DS will be almost 3 years old by then. Which would you recommend for a 3 year old?

2. kcpinwdw

kcpinwdw DIS Veteran

They are both good, HDDR is better overall, but Mickey's BBQ has characters and is prob a bit more kid friendly. If you can get category 1 for BBQ where you get in early for the meet and greet it's totally worth it.

Aj1129 and BLTtinkerbell like this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  4. Hopefully

Hopefully DIS Veteran

I definitely strongly prefer HDDR. But with a 3 YO I think perhaps the barbecue. But be prepared to protect him in the character/dance free for all

Shanti and BLTtinkerbell like this.
  5. Aj1129

Aj1129 Earning My Ears

The free for all is what scares me. Is it really that bad?

6. twoolle

twoolle DIS Veteran

What is meant by free for all?

We took my kids ages 5, 4, 2 and 11 weeks to HDDR back in 2015. They didn' really get the corny jokes yet (but the adults loved it). This time we are doing MBYBBQ as it seems better for little ones.

7. Aj1129

Aj1129 Earning My Ears

I've read that kids push and shove each other to get by the characters while dancing. We are leaning towards the BBQ but I don't want my 3 year old to be pushed by bigger older kids. I hope someone can speak to the "free for all" dance part and ease my mind.

8. estnh

estnh DIS Veteran

For adults, the HDDR is probably a better choice, but for a three year old, the BBQ is definitely better. We took our 3 year old granddaughter in April, and she had a wonderful time. We didn't have any problems with kids pushing and shoving at all. The character meet and greet lines were orderly, and there was plenty of space during the dancing. My granddaughter actually danced with Mickey "one on one" for about five minutes! The food is certainly nothing to write home about, but the important thing to us with this particular experience was my granddaughter, and she loved it.

twoolle and Aj1129 like this.
  9. Aj1129

Aj1129 Earning My Ears

Thank you so much! You have eased my mind with the dancing. I know my son will love dancing with Mickey. He loves music and loves Mickey!! I don't care about the food either. We now plan our trips around our son and his likes. Glad to hear your granddaughter has a wonderful time!