Dinosaur and ITTBAB- kids

lovethesun12

DIS Veteran
Has anyone had a young kid on Dinosaur and/or it's tough to be a bug and they liked it?

Both my kids (3 and 5, will be almost 4 and 6 next trip) are not easily scared. They both said haunted mansion was their favorite ride last trip and also loved soarin', buzz, kali, astro orbiter, etc. I keep hearing reviews about dinosaur and how kids were terrified (I've never been on the ride) as well as ITTBAB and I'm not sure about bringing them.

Anyone have a young kid that's not easily spooked and they did o.k.?

TIA!

My youngest was a daredevil from a very young age. No problem with Tower of Terror or Dinosaur from the time he was tall enough, around 4. My middle was terrified and would not ride until he was 9 or 10.

You can show them you tube ride videos and let them have some input.

You know your kids best.....they are all so different.
DGD is a daredevil and will ride anything. She loves them all.....as soon as she was tall enough, she was on them. We took her to WDW in Oct. She is 5 and rode everything
DD won't ride a lot of them even as an adult.

I've seen plenty of kids at both love them and I've also seen plenty of kids crying and hating them.

You won't know until you experience each.

This is exactly right. I've had my kids try all rides since they were old/tall enough to do so. The vast majority they liked, a few they didn't.

It's hard to compare to other rides because, with the exception of Haunted Mansion, none of the rides you mentioned are ones I would consider scary at all for children! My kids both love roller coasters and have gone on them as soon as they were tall enough. So they were 5 and 6 when they were riding coasters like Space Mountain and Expedition Everest and loving them! My daughter is a bit more apprehensive of anything scary. We first took her to ITTBAB when she was almost 3 and we had to leave the theater because she was freaking out. We went back when she was 6 and she chickened out in line. We finally made it through the entire show when she was 7 and she was fine but it wasn't her favorite. We didn't do it at all last year with 2 days at AK. It's a 3D show so it looks like there are giant bugs coming at you and there is a small buzz in your seat "stinging" you (this is what my daughter hated), as well as a stink-bug scent. Is that something you think would bother your children? As for Dinosaur, we took my kids on it as soon as they were tall enough (40 inches) so they were probably around 3-4 their first time going on it. I honestly regretted it because it was way scarier for children than I thought. It's extremely loud with flashing lights, very bumpy and jerky and a giant dinosaur head comes down at you at the end. My kids were freaked out although I wouldn't say they were upset for the rest of the day at all. My son kept calling it the scary dinosaur ride! I personally don't feel the need to go on it ever again myself because I just didn't enjoy it and I ride every coaster multiple times at Disney. Did your kids do any coasters last trip? How do they like them?

One of my kids is a dare devil. She loves Gringotts and Forbidden Journey (which I think are the most comparable in terms of being dark and scary rides). She rides all other rides at Disney, the bigger the better. She rode DINOSAUR twice. The first time she hated it (she was 4). When she was 5 she wanted to go again to see if it was really as scary as she thought. Yep. Still didn't like it.

But there are kids out there who do. And if your kids are adventurous they are probably going to realized they don't want to ride that ride again, not be afraid to go on other rides. So if you want to take them and try it there's little harm involved. My DD and her older sister were terrified the first time but they were able to laugh about it pretty quickly.

I agree to watch a video but also make sure the kids know it is very loud and jerky on Dinosaur. But if they are ok with it and want to try then go for it. But I would definitely not push it. I just took my 7 year old nephew and he was scared to death! Even the 9 year old covered his ears and closed his eyes most of the ride.

The almost 5 year old on the last big family trip I went on could have taken or left ITTBAB. He wasn't scared, but he didn't love it, so just kind of meh response. On the other hand, he did not like Dinosaur. He didn't come out screaming or crying, but he did come off and said, "I did not like that ride. Those were scary dinosaurs."

I have to admit I couldn't figure out what ITTBAB was for the longest time! OK, now that I figured that out ...

We have done It's Tough to Be a Bug with our older 2 starting when they were around the age of your kids. They've never really liked it. We haven't brought our 3 year old on it yet but we did Muppets in 3D and she liked that but wouldn't keep the glasses on. If you are in It's Tough to Be a Bug and they get scared, take the glasses off. It's not as intense.

We've always skipped Dinosaur until this past trip when my oldest went on it with my husband. He didn't really like it but wasn't freaking out or anything. I wouldn't bring my girls on it yet as I know they wouldn't like it. Maybe next trip.

My kids like yours love Haunted Mansion and love all the roller coasters. I think it just depends on the kid and their likes and dislikes, age etc. You really have to try things out and just see what happens.

I REALLY wish I had heeded all the warnings on tough to be a bug. Actually, it wasn't seeing the bugs that freaked them out, but there is a "stinger" in the seat that jabs you in the back at one point early on the show and they freaked out and had to leave. I hated it too. Really don't know what Disney was thinking with that one.

We still have not been on dinosaur. I learned my lesson that if people say it is too scary for little kids, it probably is unless your kid is an exception to the rule, and who wants to find out if that is the case by traumatizing them? I only want them to have happy experiences at Disney World.

Reading with interest as we haven’t done either of these yet either. My kids are 3 and 7, and not tall, so the youngest won’t be able to do dinosaur next trip anyway. Big kid will be interested but would probably rather do an extra ride on Everest instead, he loves that.

I *think* they will both be more amused than scared by its tough to be a bug, but I could be wrong. It seems like the kind of thing that would make both of them laugh. We won’t be taking my mother on that one, though, she would definitely not enjoy it!

My daughter will still not go on Dinosaur and she is 15. I took her on it when she was 5 as people coming out told us it wasn't scary at all. Well she hated it!!
The first time we tried to ITTBAB we got into the waiting area and she started crying. We had to leave, but she managed it the trip after that and has loved it since.

My DD5 did not like Dinosaur on our recent trip. She's not big on coasters but loved all simulators (Soarin', FOP, Star Tours), FWIW. But as others have said, only you know your kids. We tried all sorts of stuff on this trip and if they hated a ride, we just didn't do it again. I think we got my daughter a lollipop in the gift shop after Dinosaur since she was sad.

There rides are nothing alike. The screen content of Bug might be frightening to some kids, but probably only for those with a relatively fragile disposition.

Dinosaur is just a terrible, nausea inducing ride. You do a lot of spinning and jerking around - in the dark and flashing lights. I would not recommend it for kids. Or anyone.

Only reason I wouldn't do bugs is if they are scared of spiders.
Or just watch a video beforehand so you can tell them when to close their eyes. My DD performs that service for me....(although now I’m pretty sure I know when it’s coming, but she still reminds me). Took us three rides on Forbidden Journey to get a ride pic where I didn’t have my eyes shut, screaming LOL!!

Dinosaur is just a terrible, nausea inducing ride. You do a lot of spinning and jerking around - in the dark and flashing lights. I would not recommend it for kids. Or anyone.

Yup. Don’t care for it either. Thanks Eisner! We didn’t want the far superior Indiana Jones ride here anyway.

Has anyone had a young kid on Dinosaur and/or it's tough to be a bug and they liked it?

Both my kids (3 and 5, will be almost 4 and 6 next trip) are not easily scared. They both said haunted mansion was their favorite ride last trip and also loved soarin', buzz, kali, astro orbiter, etc. I keep hearing reviews about dinosaur and how kids were terrified (I've never been on the ride) as well as ITTBAB and I'm not sure about bringing them.

Anyone have a young kid that's not easily spooked and they did o.k.?

TIA!
granted these were 2 different trips. first trip grandson age 4.5 loved Tower of Terror and Dinosaur. rode both many times that trip but hate Haunted Mansion as it was too boring. second trip another grandson was 5 and he hated all the rides that his cousin loved and also hated Mansion as it was too scary. he loved any coaster that he was tall enough for. no way to tell how they will react. as others have said have them watch You Tubes of the rides

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!