Dinosaur

Dinoland has always been a favorite of mine. Thematically, the story is rich and fun - a great balance of what Disney does best. Dinosaur might be a clone of Indiana Jones in California, but its a unique thrill ride in its own right (with also probably the best pre-show on property). Dinoland doesn't need to be bulldozed, it just needs a refresh. The only glaring obstacle in my eyes is Dinorama, which is universally agreed to be sub-par. If that was to be redone with a dark ride/water ride/whatever at the same caliber of the rest of the land...that's all it needs. Maybe a couple more exhibits for animals. Something with birds, maybe?

As it stands, Dinoland is incredibly well-themed and atmospheric, with a great Americana-kitsch vibe. Restaurantosaurus and the gift shops to the right of Dinorama are some of the most intricately detailed parts of the park (up there with Asia and Africa, for me) and are a lot of fun. Boneyard is a well done take on a kids play area, too, and is very fitting thematically. Never understood the hate on this portion of the park. Dinorama, sure, but leave the rest alone.

Dinoland has always been a favorite of mine. Thematically, the story is rich and fun - a great balance of what Disney does best. Dinosaur might be a clone of Indiana Jones in California, but its a unique thrill ride in its own right (with also probably the best pre-show on property). Dinoland doesn't need to be bulldozed, it just needs a refresh. The only glaring obstacle in my eyes is Dinorama, which is universally agreed to be sub-par. If that was to be redone with a dark ride/water ride/whatever at the same caliber of the rest of the land...that's all it needs. Maybe a couple more exhibits for animals. Something with birds, maybe?

As it stands, Dinoland is incredibly well-themed and atmospheric, with a great Americana-kitsch vibe. Restaurantosaurus and the gift shops to the right of Dinorama are some of the most intricately detailed parts of the park (up there with Asia and Africa, for me) and are a lot of fun. Boneyard is a well done take on a kids play area, too, and is very fitting thematically. Never understood the hate on this portion of the park. Dinorama, sure, but leave the rest alone.
The hate comes from Dinorama mostly (at least for me) it just seems "cheap and cheesy" . .like Disney phoned it in on this part of the park ... UNLESS you dig deep and find out that they did that on purpose to make it an "immersive" Route 66 style tourist trap. The first time there, I literally thought that Disney just threw together this attraction on top of an existing parking lot to make a quick expansion to Animal Kingdom. Not the greatest first impression.

I'd like just a consistent theme to the land. You have a scientific institute with a time machine ... and then some carnival rides.
Make the whole area a step back in time .. or redo the whole thing to Indiana Jones .. just get rid of Dinorama.

Dinosaur and Indiana Jones provide completely different experiences. Indy is more focused on spectacle and Dinosaur is more focused on pure fun. I like them both for what they are, but Dinosaur is the one I'll always want to ride again over the other. Endlessly quoteable (something rides are seriously lacking on these days) and just a blast all the way through. I have to be close to 10,000 rides on it by now.
The land itself I love, but the Dinorama space really could be better utilized with something more unique than a carnival ride.

I too love both versions of practically the same ride, but we have a lot more fun on Dinosaur than we did Indy. The story arc is more fun - WE'VE GOT TO GET OUT OF HERE!!! :) Our car is always cheering and yelling, so fun!

The hate comes from Dinorama mostly (at least for me) it just seems "cheap and cheesy" . .like Disney phoned it in on this part of the park ... UNLESS you dig deep and find out that they did that on purpose to make it an "immersive" Route 66 style tourist trap. The first time there, I literally thought that Disney just threw together this attraction on top of an existing parking lot to make a quick expansion to Animal Kingdom. Not the greatest first impression.

I'd like just a consistent theme to the land. You have a scientific institute with a time machine ... and then some carnival rides.
Make the whole area a step back in time .. or redo the whole thing to Indiana Jones .. just get rid of Dinorama.

Dinorama is probably my least favorite part of WDW, i get what they were going for, but i hate how hot it gets on the black pavement and i hate they have games that you have to pay for. I hate spending that much money on a vacation and then saying no to a kid because it cost money to play the games.

this is one area id love to see redone, i have zero hope that it will be anytime though.

yea, get the gist of it and is actually pretty well done for what it is supposed to be, but just don't feel like that theming belonged in a Disney park, was just a cheap, quick way to add an expansion.

The off the shelf rides in that area somehow seem like an eyesore to me. They may eat some crowds (although I've never seen a line for any ride there), but it is rapidly losing it's appeal. I am for an Indy makeover, but just not an exact replica of DL.

I know people don't like Dinoland and there's hate about Primeval Whirl being an off the shelf Wild Mouse coaster, but I enjoy the place and think the theme is well done. I also happen to think Wild Mouse coasters are pretty fun so I don't mind that either.

I like Dinosaur, but I do feel that it could use some kind of overhaul. The pre show stuff feels somewhat dated at this point.

I know people don't like Dinoland and there's hate about Primeval Whirl being an off the shelf Wild Mouse coaster, but I enjoy the place and think the theme is well done. I also happen to think Wild Mouse coasters are pretty fun so I don't mind that either.

I like Dinosaur, but I do feel that it could use some kind of overhaul. The pre show stuff feels somewhat dated at this point.

I enjoy Primeval Whirl. My only complaint there is that the sun can be absolutely brutal when you're on it. The spinner and carnival games I could do without.

I love the Dinosaur preshow, I think it's one of the best that's still around (I randomly listened to the old Alien Encounter pre-show this weekend on an old CD, I'd forgotten how fun that one was).

Dinorama needs to go away. It does not fit with the feel of the rest of the park get rid of the cheesy cheap garbage and do something dinosaur related that has a good theme which fits the park overall. Whether its IJ or just something more thematically relevant and not carnival crap I'd be ok with it

Indy is an archeologist, not a zoologist.
I’ve long wondered why I really like Indy at DL but am not a fan of dinosaur. I’ve decided dinosaur is just too loud and too dark. If there was a bit more light to see the scenes you ride through and they turned the sound down it might be a decent ride.
The whole carnie bit...ugh, can they get rid of that - please.

I think the reason I didn't love Dinosaur was that the theming was underwhelming. I feel like the backdrops for the dinosaurs are mostly... darkness. Indy at Disneyland is amazingly well done, so Dinosaur definitely pales in comparison for me and I was absolutely comparing it as they have the same ride system.

I do love Dinosaur, but I went to Disneyland for the first time a few months ago and their Indy ride was great! I wouldn't mind a change or some upgrades to Dinosaur.

We had some great laughs on Prime Evil Whirl...every time the person on the end got jammed by everyone in the car at the turns.

I never thought about it like this until now, but the Rte. 66 theme makes Din-o-Rama the prequel to Cars Land.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter