Dinosaurs

Candycane83

DIS Veteran
Hi all! My five year old is currently obsessed with dinosaurs and I wanted to ask what is there for Dino lovers at WDW. We’re already doing T-Rex and avoiding the ride Dinosaur :D TIA!

That whole area is really cute and dino themed! Triceratop Spin is basically Dumbo on dinos. Primeval Whirl is really fun but I'm not sure of the height requirement. The dig area/play areas is awesome!!! Lots of cool slides and places to run.

I'd consider showing him a video of the Dinosaur ride and see what he thinks. It IS scary but he may be into it!

+1 for boneyard. I also agree with avoiding Dinosaur, it made my brave 6yo cry (and she rode everything that didn't have a 48 inch height requirement). I even showed her the video beforehand, the actual ride was just a little too real.

ETA- and also the Wilderness Explorers Dino stuff!

there is a large dinosaur out to the side of the Dinosaur ride he can climb on. Some of my favorite pics were taken there!
I agree, don't avoid the ride. It's not roller coaster kind of scary, just jump out and surprise you scary. I know all kids are different but my girls rode it for the first time at 4 and 7 and had no problems with it being too scary.

I am normally a "just try it and see" type, but skipping the ride really may be the right call. That ride is very dark, very loud, and several huge scary looking dinosaurs pop out at you throughout the ride. It really could end up being too much for a 5 year old. I've witnessed more than a few freak outs before, during, and after from the smaller ones. On the other hand, i've seen some very young kids love it too.

Meh. Dinosaur scared my oldest daughter at age 6, but her own shadow scares her. It scared my oldest son somewhat at age 5, though he did ride and enjoy it again later in that trip

My next three boys - one of whom is a bona fide chicken - rode it without issue, with the chicken calling it his favorite ride in all of WDW (he's also hugely into dinos). All thee were age four at their first ride.

This is hands down the best dino attraction at WDW. I'd think long and hard about auto skipping it.

I will definitely show him the video and see what he thinks. I’ve seen a lot of reports that says kids are very freaked out by this ride. He’s a chicken too and does not want to ride the Haunted Mansion. But his life for dinosaurs is new so maybe that would give him the push to try it.

If you were to do a comparison between this and Jurassic park river adventure at Universal, which is scarier? Im also thinking of showing him that video to see if he will be ok to ride that too! Lol!

+1 for boneyard. I also agree with avoiding Dinosaur, it made my brave 6yo cry (and she rode everything that didn't have a 48 inch height requirement). I even showed her the video beforehand, the actual ride was just a little too real.

ETA- and also the Wilderness Explorers Dino stuff!

There is also a big dinosaur at Hollywood Studios named Gertie. It's just an ice-cream stand, but it looks cool.

Thanks for these tips :) I would definitely check these out with him!

That whole area is really cute and dino themed! Triceratop Spin is basically Dumbo on dinos. Primeval Whirl is really fun but I'm not sure of the height requirement. The dig area/play areas is awesome!!! Lots of cool slides and places to run.

I'd consider showing him a video of the Dinosaur ride and see what he thinks. It IS scary but he may be into it!
He’s been on the triceratops spin when he was 2.5. He was scared at first but loved it after! I think he would love it now! He’s only 41” I think, a little too short for primeval whirl. I’m hoping he reached 42” this trip but that’s about the extent of my hope! Lol! I’ll definitely try showing him the video.

I will definitely show him the video and see what he thinks. I’ve seen a lot of reports that says kids are very freaked out by this ride. He’s a chicken too and does not want to ride the Haunted Mansion. But his life for dinosaurs is new so maybe that would give him the push to try it.

If you were to do a comparison between this and Jurassic park river adventure at Universal, which is scarier? Im also thinking of showing him that video to see if he will be ok to ride that too! Lol!
Doesn't the one at Universal have a steep drop and then you get soaking wet? I'd say the one at Disney is much less scary.

I think showing him a video makes sense. And above all else, be honest with him about what the ride is like! My 7 year old loved it and didn’t find it at all scary, but the girl in the row in front of us (roughly 6?) was terrified and crying from the get go. Turns out her parents told her they were going into a museum to see some dinosaur skeletons! She caught on after the pre-show film and asked to leave but they wouldn’t let her.

So just don’t be those parents and it will be ok? I’m sure they thought she would be fine once the ride got going, but...she wasn’t!

It's scarier than Jurassic Park according to my brave kid. She rides everything at Disney and Universal with no fear. Except for Dinosaur. She rode it at 5 and she and her sister (a chicken) hated it. Tears galore but no long term damage. ;) She asked to ride it again at 6 (brave one) and still hated it. She has asked to try it again at 9 this year so we'll see. She had no issues with JP.

I haven't been to T-Rex but if it's similar to Rain Forest Cafe that might be a good test if it's before your AK day. See how he reacts to the loudness, darkness, and dinos there. If he's totally comfortable and goes up close to the animatronics (again, I'm assuming it's like rainforest) then maybe he'll enjoy the ride. You can ask him if he wants to go on a jerky bumpy Jeep and have dinos like this appear out of the darkness at him.

Doesn't the one at Universal have a steep drop and then you get soaking wet? I'd say the one at Disney is much less scary.
Haha yes but it’s tame all the way until you reach the raptor containment unit. The drop seems similar to splash mountain? I haven’t been on these rides for years so I don’t really remember the intensity!

I think showing him a video makes sense. And above all else, be honest with him about what the ride is like! My 7 year old loved it and didn’t find it at all scary, but the girl in the row in front of us (roughly 6?) was terrified and crying from the get go. Turns out her parents told her they were going into a museum to see some dinosaur skeletons! She caught on after the pre-show film and asked to leave but they wouldn’t let her.

So just don’t be those parents and it will be ok? I’m sure they thought she would be fine once the ride got going, but...she wasn’t!

Yes each kid is different and they react differently at different times too! Well, I guess we’ll see.

It's scarier than Jurassic Park according to my brave kid. She rides everything at Disney and Universal with no fear. Except for Dinosaur. She rode it at 5 and she and her sister (a chicken) hated it. Tears galore but no long term damage. ;) She asked to ride it again at 6 (brave one) and still hated it. She has asked to try it again at 9 this year so we'll see. She had no issues with JP.

I haven't been to T-Rex but if it's similar to Rain Forest Cafe that might be a good test if it's before your AK day. See how he reacts to the loudness, darkness, and dinos there. If he's totally comfortable and goes up close to the animatronics (again, I'm assuming it's like rainforest) then maybe he'll enjoy the ride. You can ask him if he wants to go on a jerky bumpy Jeep and have dinos like this appear out of the darkness at him.
Haha I just watched JP ride with him and he seems interested. Of course he didn’t see the drop because the video stopped right before it!

TRex happens after our AK day but maybe I can take him to the shop beforehand, just to get a feel. If ever though, we would probably try Jurassic park first!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter