͏

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it’s human nature that we all have sensitivities to what we own.

For me, on completely non-VGF related threads threads, it keeps coming up that VGF is hoity toity; not a welcoming place for kids; a “certain kind of crowd”; isolated from main resort; lobby is small; point charts are worse than Riviera; monorail is old, stinky, unreliable, slow, a death trap.

Interestingly a lot of these come about via whataboutisms in defense of Riviera.

My SSR list goes on and on, but suffice it to say, it’s the pariah resort where the leper occupants are the primary target of most resale-restriction-supporters’ ire.

And honestly, there’s some truth to all of the above about my resorts. It’s just not the whole picture, which for me, is primarily how much my family loves our Disney timeshare stays. At the end of the day, that’s all that matters. The rest of it is noise. I just don’t care enough to rebut it every time it happens.

I agree. There are things I like and don’t like about all of my home resorts.

I think we can all look at statistics and interpret them any way we want to. At the end of the day though, there are outside forces which are influencing those statistics (how active is ROFR, resale restrictions, the economy, WDW being open/closed, sold out resorts now being sold direct more regularly, prices of tickets dropping/rising to have more/less ppl in the parks for sales, specifics about a particular resort, etc.) My personal opinion is that RIV sold much better than I would’ve thought considering the restrictions. I don’t know if that’s good or bad considering I own there yet want to resale restrictions to go away. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Last edited:
Every single resort has had people who love it and people who don't like it at all and the rest somewhere between and many posted their thoughts about them on multiple threads and even the same thread more than once. I don't see a lot of difference in that regard.

DVC drew a line in the sand with the resale restrictions which adds a negative in many owners minds that came about with Riviera but that doesn't have anything to do specifically with things about the resort. It would be the same reaction if it had happened with CCV, PVB, VGF etc.

I'll take a stab at the top negatives of most resorts from the past 12-15 years that in the past that were covered repeatedly and still are today:
SSR - too big. Looks like Grandmas house - bland decor. Points too high - should have been the same as OKW. Remote and buses only.
AKV - too far from everything. Buses only. Too dark. Animals are going to increase dues a lot.
BLT - cheap "Ikea" furniture. Overlooks a parking lot. Tiny studio with bathroom sink in the kitchen. Small pool. Point charts too high..
VGF - looks like Grandma's house. No great views was a big one before it opened. Point charts.
PVB - studios only and too dark. Oh - Bungalows. Destroyed the Poly resort. Point charts. Dues.
CCV - Occupancy, dues, too many Cabins. Decor had a fair amount of discussion.
Riv - overlooks a moderate, Skyway, decor, point charts.

Decor, transportation, dues, point charts, amenities, views. All a commonality.

I've probably missed a few but most of them still come up pretty frequently. These specific boards discuss DVC and DVC is a collection of timeshare resorts that are not identical.

A great list, thanks!

One thing to remember about the Riviera complainers, that admittedly got under some of our skins, they were hating it month's before it even opened. They had nothing but pictures and it was already the worst hotel ever conceived. Every other resort on your list has been open for decades (or is attached to one that has been open for years). At least those complainers had actually experienced the resort.

Sorry for the bit of a drift, but has there been any news of construction actually commencing on the new DL tower? I know some permits were approved, but I haven’t seen anything in quite some time. I could’ve missed something though with everything that’s going on.

I think you take a look at both, percentage and absolute numbers. Percentage tells you the pace at which the resort is sold out. Yes, Riviera is larger than CCV, but at the same time, how fast does Disney expect Riviera to sell out? I mean it certainly isn't selling out at a faster pace than CCV.

As for absolute numbers, yes more Riviera points were sold. You could stop the analysis there and think everything is great. However, you look at the context of CCV's sales. That's the reason I did the second part of the analysis. It was also competing with Poly for a large portion of its first 12 months. When you add the total points up for CCV and Poly for the first 12 months of CCV, you get 2.1 million points sold. When you add the total points for Riviera and CCV for the first 12 months of Riviera, you get 1.78 million points sold, a reduction of 16.7%.

What that tells us is that Poly + CCV is more popular than CCV + Riviera. Now why that is? I'm not speculating. It could be due to point cost increases. It could be due to resale restrictions. It could be due to people not knowing Riviera or just generally not liking Riviera. The point cost increase and the people not knowing Riviera can be remedied by 1.) having discounts for points; and 2.) time (as more people book Riviera). However, at some point, they will be able to narrow down the issues, and one of the issues may actually be the resale restrictions.

Of course, if Riviera sales goes gangbusters through the end of the year, then well, we can say that the data so far was wrong and that Riviera really is popular. However, the data so far has not shown Riviera sales to be doing well.

Just for fun, I also looked at the first 12 months of Poly - which also had competing sales with VGF and Aulani. The end result is after 12 months, Poly had 858,685 points sold from January 2015 to December 2015, or 21.29% of its total points. The other actively sold resorts VGF and Aulani combined for approximately 1,400,000 points. When you add up the sales of all 3 resorts, you get 2.26 million points.

I also went to look back at Aulani sales, but they weren't available after June 2017. However, we can just take a very conservative guess that it would be an average of 10k points / month for the relevant time period for CCV. It was 22k in April 2017 and 16K in May 2017 and that continued a downward slide.

I'll also assume that Aulani sales remain steady at about 5k points / month for Riviera's first 12 months. (Keep in mind it's 2 years later)

So to recap:

First 12 months of Poly, actively sold resorts (Poly + VGF + Aulani) is approx. 2.26 million points.
First 12 months of CCV, actively sold resorts (CCV + Poly) is approx. 2.1 million points. (Decrease of 7%) + 120,000 points (Aulani) = 2.22 million points. (Decrease of 1.76%)
First 12 months of Riviera, actively sold resorts (CCV + Riv) is approx. 1.78 million points. (Decrease of 16%) + 60,000 points (Aulani) = 1.84 million points. (Decrease of 17.1%)

Thanks for taking the time to lay out the "it's not doing well position" for us.

The more layers that get peeled back on this the harder it is to say with any certainty that it's doing well or not. I think we can all agree it's doing better than the doomsayers expected, most saying it's location and resale restrictions would kill all sales.

The real question is what were DVC's expectations for the first all DVC resort in many years?

Looking just at your percentages, I'm actually shocked it was as close as it is to CCV, considering how much bigger it is than CCV (and Poly).

Now, looking at your recap - we can see a declining point sale trend from the start - Poly to CCV down 7%, CCV to RIV, down another 17%. Does this speak to the pool of buyers slowly shrinking or is it just Rivera's unique issues (new and unknown, location, transportation, the dreaded restrictions). If it's just Riviera then why did CCV decline?

As far as overall point sales, I don't think enough credit is given to how not being open for the first 9 months of sales may have impacted things. I think the buyers pool shrinks greatly when you ask them to drop $30k+ on something you can't touch. Again all the other resorts were well known and well loved and had lots of pent-up demand.

Another question only DVC could answer, do they base success on point sales or dollars coming in the door? If it's dollars, then has point cost inflation mitigated the less points sold year on year for CCV, and then RIV? Riviera may be on their target if it's selling at a higher average cost per point than the others.

Last edited:

I think you take a look at both, percentage and absolute numbers. Percentage tells you the pace at which the resort is sold out. Yes, Riviera is larger than CCV, but at the same time, how fast does Disney expect Riviera to sell out? I mean it certainly isn't selling out at a faster pace than CCV.

As for absolute numbers, yes more Riviera points were sold. You could stop the analysis there and think everything is great. However, you look at the context of CCV's sales. That's the reason I did the second part of the analysis. It was also competing with Poly for a large portion of its first 12 months. When you add the total points up for CCV and Poly for the first 12 months of CCV, you get 2.1 million points sold. When you add the total points for Riviera and CCV for the first 12 months of Riviera, you get 1.78 million points sold, a reduction of 16.7%.

What that tells us is that Poly + CCV is more popular than CCV + Riviera. Now why that is? I'm not speculating. It could be due to point cost increases. It could be due to resale restrictions. It could be due to people not knowing Riviera or just generally not liking Riviera. The point cost increase and the people not knowing Riviera can be remedied by 1.) having discounts for points; and 2.) time (as more people book Riviera). However, at some point, they will be able to narrow down the issues, and one of the issues may actually be the resale restrictions.

Of course, if Riviera sales goes gangbusters through the end of the year, then well, we can say that the data so far was wrong and that Riviera really is popular. However, the data so far has not shown Riviera sales to be doing well.

Just for fun, I also looked at the first 12 months of Poly - which also had competing sales with VGF and Aulani. The end result is after 12 months, Poly had 858,685 points sold from January 2015 to December 2015, or 21.29% of its total points. The other actively sold resorts VGF and Aulani combined for approximately 1,400,000 points. When you add up the sales of all 3 resorts, you get 2.26 million points.

I also went to look back at Aulani sales, but they weren't available after June 2017. However, we can just take a very conservative guess that it would be an average of 10k points / month for the relevant time period for CCV. It was 22k in April 2017 and 16K in May 2017 and that continued a downward slide.

I'll also assume that Aulani sales remain steady at about 5k points / month for Riviera's first 12 months. (Keep in mind it's 2 years later)

So to recap:

First 12 months of Poly, actively sold resorts (Poly + VGF + Aulani) is approx. 2.26 million points.
First 12 months of CCV, actively sold resorts (CCV + Poly) is approx. 2.1 million points. (Decrease of 7%) + 120,000 points (Aulani) = 2.22 million points. (Decrease of 1.76%)
First 12 months of Riviera, actively sold resorts (CCV + Riv) is approx. 1.78 million points. (Decrease of 16%) + 60,000 points (Aulani) = 1.84 million points. (Decrease of 17.1%)

But it still goes back to the point that saying RIV is not selling well, even though it sold more points in its first 12 months than CCV because it didn’t outpace it is sIlly.

I am not sure that I see anything from Disney that defines what they expected. People guess they were disappointed but where is that confirmed by Disney.

RIV is a different product and the number of points sold in the first 12 mpnths did exceed CCV. That means it was competitive and Not sure how someone can keep saying it is not selling well. I don’t remember reading that when CCV was selling that argument was made,

Now, is it exceeding others by gangbusters? No. Not sure why every new resort will. And yes, the other analysis that Poly and CCV seem to be more popular is a good one, but IMO, that doesn’t get us to saying the sales at RIV are poor because the actual points bought are pretty good.

However, saying it was doing poorly is misleading and not quite accurate.
Overall, DVC sales may have been down when comparing different cohorts, but that could be just as likely from a saturated market, or from the point that Poly, VGF, and CCV were all well known and stayed at properties and RIV was not. So for 8 months, people bought based on pictures and info.

It certainly does seem once RIV opened, sales were strong. Now, could they remove restrictions? Sure. But, nothing in terms of RIVs individual sales proves those have impacted it in a way they need to go.

ETA: DVD lowered the incentives on RIV after the first month or so of sales post COVID. If they were so disappointed in what is happening, it would seem they would have extended them. They didn’t. Leads me to believe they were happy enough with sales To see how it would sell with those gone.

Last edited:
Only Disney knows the impact of the restrictions on sales (if any). We don’t have any publicly available data that would allow us to verify either way. In general, looking at these numbers, I imagine Diseny was pleased pre-pandemic. Their best three months of sales were in the three months after it opened and it was selling over 160K points per month. Based on that, it would have sold out in about two years, which really isn’t that bad considering:

1) The size of the resort
2) The timing of reflections opening.

We were there 2 weeks ago and stayed 3 nights. The guides were walking potential owners through and showing off the resort pretty regularly. I can see how easy it would be to wan't to own there, the incentives are still pretty good and it's such a beautiful resort. I probably wouldn't add on there because I already own VGF and CCV and it's a litttle busier of a resort for my taste. DVC is being upfront about the restrictions so I personally dont have an issue with it. I do believe that if I were to buy there I would strongly consider a fixed week. Kind of wish I had done it with my previous purchases. So far in the 5 years as an owner I have only missed being able to book the first week of December 1 time because I didn't realize a Standard Studio week would be gone in a few minutes. Riviera may end up in the same scenario eventually. Overall, I would rate Riviera very highly!

A great list, thanks!

One thing to remember about the Riviera complainers, that admittedly got under some of our skins, they were hating it month's before it even opened. They had nothing but pictures and it was already the worst hotel ever conceived. Every other resort on your list has been open for decades (or is attached to one that has been open for years). At least those complainers had actually experienced the resort.

Sorry I should have emphasized but that has gone on with every resort since I've been hanging around and then participating on the boards just the same as Riviera. It was not unique to Riviera - they all start before the resort opens with both the speculated positives and negatives. Discussion boards so you want to discuss and if speculation is all that you have that'll be it too. So also be prepared that the same comments will go on probably as long as the resort is open as they do with all existing resorts. (I'm assuming a bit that you were not regularly reading the boards for over a decade before joining so offering history but that maybe that's an incorrect assumption.)

I have no actual measurement to provide but I felt BLT was about as polarizing as Riviera. First the joke of "there's nothing behind the curtain". Then a tower, overlooking a parking lot and you had to walk to the main building for the monorail (which is stinky and going to fall over any day ;) ) Then came the studio design - oh my. And color pallet and "Ikea" furniture. And the point chart. Then the increase in minimum add on. And then the change to the point charts before it even opened. Riviera has it's own unique situations beyond location and design - first with the resale booking restrictions and of course the Skyway which on it's own was the subject of many long threads. It's easy to get defensive and I have my own couple of things but most POV's I can see where they're coming from, may or may not agree and know if it actually matter much to me. I get yours too. You like/love Riviera. And is there nothing that you wish DVC had done differently? If not then lucky you and I say that sincerely. You've got your perfect resort and DVC met every expectation and keep on touting it! You may not actually want to convince everyone to LOVE the resort and be trying to stay there every trip though. :laughing:

ETA: DVD lowered the incentives on RIV after the first month or so of sales post COVID. If they were so disappointed in what is happening, it would seem they would have extended them. They didn’t. Leads me to believe they were happy enough with sales To see how it would sell with those gone.

I would think that DVD is always trying to figure out the best mix of cost vs volume and trying to find that magical number that maximizes both. Too high of price and volume reduces. Then they lower the price and volume ticks up and they wonder if they're leaving cash on the table. A lot right now probably is going to depend on what Disney hopes and wants to see for cash coming in from DVD. If so there may be deeper incentives again.

Only Disney knows the impact of the restrictions on sales (if any). We don’t have any publicly available data that would allow us to verify either way. In general, looking at these numbers, I imagine Diseny was pleased pre-pandemic.

I'd bet they're pleased as well, for a lot of reasons. We planned to buy 200 RIV points in pre-sales, but explicitly told our guide we were backing out because of the resale restrictions. And then we bought a 118 point fixed week at CCV, so yay Disney, I guess? Like I said previously, Disney always wins, and they're certainly not worried about some discussion board back-and-forth.

Sorry I should have emphasized but that has gone on with every resort since I've been hanging around and then participating on the boards just the same as Riviera. It was not unique to Riviera - they all start before the resort opens with both the speculated positives and negatives. Discussion boards so you want to discuss and if speculation is all that you have that'll be it too. So also be prepared that the same comments will go on probably as long as the resort is open as they do with all existing resorts. (I'm assuming a bit that you were not regularly reading the boards for over a decade before joining so offering history but that maybe that's an incorrect assumption.)

I have no actual measurement to provide but I felt BLT was about as polarizing as Riviera. First the joke of "there's nothing behind the curtain". Then a tower, overlooking a parking lot and you had to walk to the main building for the monorail (which is stinky and going to fall over any day ;) ) Then came the studio design - oh my. And color pallet and "Ikea" furniture. And the point chart. Then the increase in minimum add on. And then the change to the point charts before it even opened. Riviera has it's own unique situations beyond location and design - first with the resale booking restrictions and of course the Skyway which on it's own was the subject of many long threads. It's easy to get defensive and I have my own couple of things but most POV's I can see where they're coming from, may or may not agree and know if it actually matter much to me. I get yours too. You like/love Riviera. And is there nothing that you wish DVC had done differently? If not then lucky you and I say that sincerely. You've got your perfect resort and DVC met every expectation and keep on touting it! You may not actually want to convince everyone to LOVE the resort and be trying to stay there every trip though. :laughing:

Your last sentence - very true - let me stress that Rivera is a horrible place to stay especially a studio during F&W - please all stay away!!!:rotfl2:

My only point was that most of the resorts on your list were not completely new concepts - I believe all except SSR were attached to known resorts. BLT being the most "detached" and different so I can see that one stirring the pot. Please correct me if I'm wrong (not sure if AKV was always a duel resort).

Anyway good to know that we were just part of a long standing tradition around here.

My only point was that most of the resorts on your list were not completely new concepts - I believe all except SSR were attached to known resorts. BLT being the most "detached" and different so I can see that one stirring the pot. Please correct me if I'm wrong (not sure if AKV was always a duel resort).

Anyway good to know that we were just part of a long standing tradition around here.

It wasn't - Jambo opened in 2001 as a regular resort. It was later converted partially to DVC, and Kidani was built from the ground-up as a DVC resort, opening in 2009. So there was some time there. Who knows if they always meant for Jambo to eventually become partially DVC, though.

For me, on completely non-VGF related threads threads, it keeps coming up that VGF is hoity toity; not a welcoming place for kids; a “certain kind of crowd”; isolated from main resort; lobby is small; point charts are worse than Riviera; monorail is old, stinky, unreliable, slow, a death trap.

Interestingly a lot of these come about via whataboutisms in defense of Riviera.

My SSR list goes on and on, but suffice it to say, it’s the pariah resort where the leper occupants are the primary target of most resale-restriction-supporters’ ire.

And honestly, there’s some truth to all of the above about my resorts. It’s just not the whole picture, which for me, is primarily how much my family loves our Disney timeshare stays. At the end of the day, that’s all that matters. The rest of it is noise. I just don’t care enough to rebut it every time it happens.
I had to laugh out loud, you are so right. If anyone wants to visit me at WDW, I will always be roughing it in a teeny tiny poly studio; never shall I experience the extra space of a 1-2 bedroom. Alas, I have set my poor children up for terrible resort room games of hide and seek for life.

Thanks for taking the time to lay out the "it's not doing well position" for us.

The more layers that get peeled back on this the harder it is to say with any certainty that it's doing well or not. I think we can all agree it's doing better than the doomsayers expected, most saying it's location and resale restrictions would kill all sales.

The real question is what were DVC's expectations for the first all DVC resort in many years?

Looking just at your percentages, I'm actually shocked it was as close as it is to CCV, considering how much bigger it is than CCV (and Poly).

Now, looking at your recap - we can see a declining point sale trend from the start - Poly to CCV down 7%, CCV to RIV, down another 17%. Does this speak to the pool of buyers slowly shrinking or is it just Rivera's unique issues (new and unknown, location, transportation, the dreaded restrictions). If it's just Riviera then why did CCV decline?

As far as overall point sales, I don't think enough credit is given to how not being open for the first 9 months of sales may have impacted things. I think the buyers pool shrinks greatly when you ask them to drop $30k+ on something you can't touch. Again all the other resorts were well known and well loved and had lots of pent-up demand.

Another question only DVC could answer, do they base success on point sales or dollars coming in the door? If it's dollars, then has point cost inflation mitigated the less points sold year on year for CCV, and then RIV? Riviera may be on their target if it's selling at a higher average cost per point than the others.

Well your instincts were correct. The percentages were actually off for Riviera. I used 5.3 million as the denominator when it should actually have 6.7 million points. The updated percentages are below:

Month NumberMonthYearPoints SoldMonthly Points %Total Points SoldTotal Points Sold %Notes
1​
April
2019​
59,246​
0.88​
59,246​
0.88​
Copper Creek: 166,129
2​
May
2019​
97,988​
1.46​
157,234​
2.35​
Copper Creek: 75,019
3​
June
2019​
114,091​
1.70​
271,325​
4.05​
Copper Creek: 83,305
4​
July
2019​
108,675​
1.62​
380,000​
5.67​
Copper Creek: 52,837
5​
August
2019​
104,759​
1.56​
484,759​
7.24​
Copper Creek: 28,288
6​
September
2019​
92,385​
1.38​
577,144​
8.61​
Copper Creek: 17,343
7​
October
2019​
97,100​
1.45​
674,244​
10.06​
Copper Creek: 13,735
8​
November
2019​
102,764​
1.53​
777,008​
11.60​
Copper Creek: 7,842
9​
December
2019​
121,869​
1.82​
898,877​
13.42​
Copper Creek: 7,066; Riviera Opens
10​
January
2020​
181,289​
2.71​
1,080,166​
16.12​
Copper Creek: 6,318
11​
February
2020​
139,205​
2.08​
1,219,371​
18.20​
Copper Creek: 4,305
12​
March
2020​
153,416​
2.29​
1,372,787​
20.49​
Copper Creek: 8,037

So, Riviera has 20.49% through the first 12 months. Copper Creek had 28.89% and Poly had 21.49%.

Yeah, I'm not pinpointing the reason for sales decline. It could be any number of reasons and resale restrictions might not be a major part of it. I agree it may be tough given that people haven't stayed at the resort. Again, I think it is entirely plausible that sale skyrocket the latter half of the year.

Until we see that data, it hasn't really met what I would presume are the expectations. However, you are correct in that I don't know how DVC judges success. It might be a little bit of both. On one hand, they don't want to be owning the resort (paying for maintenance fees), waiting for the resort to sell out. On the other hand, they want to maximize profit.

Only Disney knows the impact of the restrictions on sales (if any). We don’t have any publicly available data that would allow us to verify either way. In general, looking at these numbers, I imagine Diseny was pleased pre-pandemic. Their best three months of sales were in the three months after it opened and it was selling over 160K points per month. Based on that, it would have sold out in about two years, which really isn’t that bad considering:

1) The size of the resort
2) The timing of reflections opening.

At the end of March, if sales of Riviera averaged 160k, then Riviera would have sold out in another 33.3 months, or close to another 2 years 9 months.

DVC and Disney do love their existing resort add on's and conversions. Several of those resorts have taken a verbal beating because of that exact fact too. I wasn't around here when SSR 1st went on sale so my comments were on the ones I had definitely read. From what that resort continues to get I'd guess it actually might have initially taken it the worst of all.

Yes. And the more you pay for something the more you’ll defend it. I’ve read the research on this, it’s fascinating.
The only thing that really matters. That’s why I’m curious if when @WebmasterPete indicates that it’s selling poorly if that’s based on his intuition or based on a tip from someone at DVC (or the Timeshare Store) who knows.
So, Riviera has 20.49% through the first 12 months. Copper Creek had 28.89% and Poly had 21.49%.
Riviera is something like twice as large as copper creek and it would have been ridiculous for Disney to expect it to sell as quickly as Poly. So I’m not sure the percentages tell us much. AKV took 5 years to sell but I’m not sure Disney would consider it a disappointment - it was huge! The only clear disappointments are Aulani and VB.

The only thing that really matters. That’s why I’m curious if when @WebmasterPete indicates that it’s selling poorly if that’s based on his intuition or based on a tip from someone at DVC (or the Timeshare Store) who knows.

I've been wondering exactly that. Is he basing it on older data here from before it opened when it was underselling prior resorts or is it based on something actually coming out of DVC. Hopefully they will get into it more on a future show.

Again, I think it is entirely plausible that sale skyrocket the latter half of the year.

I think that will require the parks opening to full capacity and getting the feet thru the gates. And a good feeling about the economy.

AKV took 5 years to sell but I’m not sure Disney would consider it a disappointment - it was huge! The only clear disappointments are Aulani and VB.

AKV, BLT, VGC and at times SSR were all in sales at the same time. DVC had some pretty high hopes then and might actually always have too high of expectations on sales. It's a lot of pressure to perform for the company. Instead most sell at similar enough rates to not be too different. Even SSR. ;) I still find it interesting to look at the sales data though. They did state disappointment about PVB and that they'd never make the mistake again of a studios only (essentially) resort. Of course managements change and the new DL DVC is pretty close to being that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter