͏

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the first week of August Disney filed 90 sales with Orange County, or nearly as many as the entire month of July.

Only 25 of the 90 were for Riviera, with 11 more for CCV. 6 were for Boardwalk, 2 were for Beach Club and 1 for VGF, so half of the 90 were for the 5 sold out resorts that have incentives: 14 AKV, 12 OKW, 8 SSR, 8 Bay Lake Tower, 3 Polynesian.

The DVC podcast this week discussed Riviera on a Riveria vs. Boardwalk show. Pete didn't hold back in blasting Disney for the restrictions on Riviera. So many of us have said how we would never buy Riviera due to the restriction and I really can't see Riviera selling out for at least 5 years if they don't remove that restriction. I'd rather buy direct points at CCV or any other existing onsite resort and know that at least the value is going to hold. With less than 30% of direct sales going towards Riviera it seems that a lot of people feel the same way. I don't see them removing it anytime soon but to me it would make more sense as it would likely lead to a large spike in Riviera sales.

The DVC podcast this week discussed Riviera on a Riveria vs. Boardwalk show. Pete didn't hold back in blasting Disney for the restrictions on Riviera. So many of us have said how we would never buy Riviera due to the restriction and I really can't see Riviera selling out for at least 5 years if they don't remove that restriction. I'd rather buy direct points at CCV or any other existing onsite resort and know that at least the value is going to hold. With less than 30% of direct sales going towards Riviera it seems that a lot of people feel the same way. I don't see them removing it anytime soon but to me it would make more sense as it would likely lead to a large spike in Riviera sales.
I think there’s a valid point of the resale restrictions, but ultimately I think what’s happening in this specific week - which more or less reflects the first week DVC Direct sales was reopened in June - is that existing DVC owners had pent-up demand for add on contracts at sold-out resorts, while Disney wasn’t really attracting new users with the parks closed.

If the resale restrictions were a very big problem, we would’ve seen signs of it in the first eight months that Riviera was for sale. Some people think we did see that, personally I haven’t yet seen sufficient evidence to support that hypothesis (Which is not the same thing as saying it’s not true, first I want to see how it sells without CCV alongside it).

I haven't watched this weeks podcast so I'll have to check it out. But you can't draw any long term trends from sales numbers impacted by Covid. Go back to pre-covid days and you'll see good to very good sales numbers. Here's a couple comments from the main thread on Riviera sales. How can 8 months of sales that are significantly better than the previous 2 resorts be considered a (restriction induced) failure?

I haven't watched this weeks podcast so I'll have to check it out. But you can't draw any long term trends from sales numbers impacted by Covid. Go back to pre-covid days and you'll see good to very good sales numbers. Here's a couple comments from the main thread on Riviera sales. How can 8 months of sales that are significantly better than the previous 2 resorts be considered a (restriction induced) failure?

I agree. Being it is a different product and was competitive with the previous resorts, IMO, means it did well. I am not sure every new resort has to outsell the previous ones either, especially given that the last 3 were all located at known, popular, MK area locations.

Hey, I said I’d never buy and did. Lol

It was a good episode this week, definitely worth watching. My comments were made concerning now and the future, pre-covid was definitely an easier sales environment. With the resale restriction I really think they're going to have a tough time selling out but it's possible I'm wrong.

Haha. I died laughing and have been quoting him all day.
"God sent Covid to teach them a lesson" - Pete Werner

I thought that was hilarious too. I'm wondering if he came up with that on the fly or thought it up ahead of time.

I think your average DVC purchaser is NOT thinking at all about the resale price or restrictions, honestly, because -- outside of this board -- most people aren't buying in with the thought that they are going to sell down the line.
I think you are spot on, the majority of direct sales have historically been " park purchasers" That is not the case with the current data, this may change if a month or so, but then again it may not.

RVA use year distribution by contract count and by points (not drastically different); seems Dec is rather popular ...

for reference, here are data on other resorts

View attachment 516165

View attachment 516164
I think Dec is out of wack as it's the only month that was sold after the resort was open. By the time you started hitting February (which didn't get the 2x points right?) the Covid situation was happening. Since typically guides I think want to sell the most recent UY right to avoid the extra banked points?

They were pushing December UY when we bought (spring 2019) and I'd think that unless you wanted to match a UY it wouldn't make that much difference. We wanted to match our Feb UY but since Feb was the only UY that didn't come with 2019 points, we matched our August UY contracts instead. If you didn't express a preference, you'd get December.

With the resale restriction I really think they're going to have a tough time selling out but it's possible I'm wrong.

I think the economy post-covid is going to make all luxury/fun things hard to sell; I'm not sure the resale restriction will be such a big deal compared to the damper that ***** virus is going to cause ... for years. Sadly.

So today I started contemplating buying Riviera direct rather than AKV resale which had been my plan for months. I really love the theming of RR and thought I could get past the resale restrictions as I wanted to be able to take advantage of annual pass discounts. I finally really sat down and looked at the Riviera point chart to see how many I would need to buy. OH MY GOSH. I finally see what everyone has been saying about the high point charts!! If I bought 200 points I still wouldn’t have enough to stay in a one bedroom at ANY time of the year! Wowza. I could get a two bedroom at AKV for close to 200 points several months of the year.

I’m absolutely done ever considering Riviera again.

So today I started contemplating buying Riviera direct rather than AKV resale which had been my plan for months. I really love the theming of RR and thought I could get past the resale restrictions as I wanted to be able to take advantage of annual pass discounts. I finally really sat down and looked at the Riviera point chart to see how many I would need to buy. OH MY GOSH. I finally see what everyone has been saying about the high point charts!! If I bought 200 points I still wouldn’t have enough to stay in a one bedroom at ANY time of the year! Wowza. I could get a two bedroom at AKV for close to 200 points several months of the year.

I’m absolutely done ever considering Riviera again.
Same here as far as buying Riviera goes (although I already have blue card benefits). I really wanted to add on at Riviera and initially decided that the resale restrictions (and probable lower resale value) was a deal breaker. But I got over that.

But I could not get over either the higher point chart or the higher maintenance fees, especially since I am a long time BWV owner and used to the paying the points for a standard view 1 bedroom! I won't even buy a cheap resale contract there due to the points and fees. I think it's a lovely resort, but I am very unlikely to even stay there and pay with my beloved BWV points. I can easily be content with just riding the Skyliner over from BWV and eating at Topolinos. :)

I wonder why Pete, Paul & Jerry weren't more concerned about points and fees - that didn't even come up on the show. Maybe they all have more $$ to spend on DVC than I do, LOL

I wonder why Pete, Paul & Jerry weren't more concerned about points and fees - that didn't even come up on the show. Maybe they all have more $$ to spend on DVC than I do, LOL

Think it has to do with the content meant more so to be a "buy resale" than anything else. I think it was briefly brought up though about the high point charts in comparison.

Same here as far as buying Riviera goes (although I already have blue card benefits). I really wanted to add on at Riviera and initially decided that the resale restrictions (and probable lower resale value) was a deal breaker. But I got over that.

But I could not get over either the higher point chart or the higher maintenance fees, especially since I am a long time BWV owner and used to the paying the points for a standard view 1 bedroom! I won't even buy a cheap resale contract there due to the points and fees. I think it's a lovely resort, but I am very unlikely to even stay there and pay with my beloved BWV points. I can easily be content with just riding the Skyliner over from BWV and eating at Topolinos. :)

I feel the same way. I have SSR but have never stayed there because I keep lucking into BWV waitlists. Every time I think I might splurge for a few nights and use the points at Riviera I look at the point chart and that gets it out of my system. Oh heck no! Maybe if I had a plethora of points I could be all willy nilly but that's a good chunk of my lowly 225 points.

How many points do you think the average riviera owner has? I can’t even wrap my head around it.

I keep seeing the points chart issue come up.

I’m only looking at 2021 June 11 - Aug 15 time frame because that’s when we’d likely go but Rivera is 146 points for a deluxe studio. For comparison:
Polynesian is 167
Grand Floridian is 167
I haven’t been here long but I rarely hear people talk about how point heavy those are.

Do these get a pass for being MK or for being originals people already love? Or is it the resale restriction already giving people a negative feeling about Riviera? Or is it that they are already sold out resorts?

Its true most other resorts are cheaper point wise but if CCV actually had studios available maybe we could says it’s actually cheaper. I’m thinking either you’re staying elsewhere or getting the 1B every couple years when a studio isn’t available, in which case you are either losing home resort advantage or spending about the same points at your home resort.

I keep seeing the points chart issue come up.

I’m only looking at 2021 June 11 - Aug 15 time frame because that’s when we’d likely go but Rivera is 146 points for a deluxe studio. For comparison:
Polynesian is 167
Grand Floridian is 167
I haven’t been here long but I rarely hear people talk about how point heavy those are.

Do these get a pass for being MK or for being originals people already love? Or is it the resale restriction already giving people a negative feeling about Riviera? Or is it that they are already sold out resorts?

Its true most other resorts are cheaper point wise but if CCV actually had studios available maybe we could says it’s actually cheaper. I’m thinking either you’re staying elsewhere or getting the 1B every couple years when a studio isn’t available, in which case you are either losing home resort advantage or spending about the same points at your home resort.
I’m mainly comparing one bedrooms as a starting point. Riviera is about 30 points higher than say BLT for one bedrooms which to me, seems pretty significant. It’s about 70 points higher than an AKV 1 BR which I think is huge. 80-100+ points more for a riviera 2 BR compared to AKV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter