Direct flights cross country severe food allergy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I really have to ask this question because I am having a very hard time with thought process of some of the posters on this thread. Let me start off by saying that my children are not special needs and they have no food allergies so my response to my children if they were upset about not eating peanuts on the plane or if they were unable to eat on a plane due to someones life threatening allergy would be suck it up but I do understand that for some of you this is not an option. For those of you saying well my child NEEDS to eat PB products is there really nothing else your child can consume that would avoid of all this? How do we start deciding whose needs are more important?

This is exactly what I was saying in my earlier post.

If I KNEW someone on the plane had a peanut allergy, neither I nor my kids would be eating peanuts.

And there are alternatives to peanuts.

That's the problem. As I said, we've never been on a peanut free flight, but there's no way we would know ahead of time either if they don't announce it until everyone is on the plane. My son does not "just" eat pb&j sandwiches but Peanut Butter IS the only protein he can eat. BTW Peanut Butter is a perfectly healthy option. He would not be able to make a long flight without eating and he can't just have cookies or pretzels. He does have to have the protein with every meal. It's no fun living with a disability and we are constantly making concessions. I'm sorry but feeding my child can't be one of them.

I have to ask if your son eats any other form of protein could he potentially die or is PB just the only kind he likes? Also if he doesn't have protein on a flight that last a few hours could he potentially die? I think if the answer is no then in cases like this the person with the life threatening disability trumps your kids needs to eat PB.

I dunno... if I am doing what is both allowed and necessary for the well-being of my disabled child, I think she has the right to some privacy. I *don't* feel that making someone else feel better about my actions trumps my daughter's dignity and announcing her disability could be humiliating for her as she gets older. If the choice is a stranger thinking I'm a jerk when I'm not and strangers knowing private things about my kid... well, selfish would be making her take the hit, KWIM?

If the parent of an autistic/sensory/diabetic kid needs to feed their child the food the child will eat that will keep them safe and healthy (Ever seen a 9 year old autie trash a room because the snack didn't come when he needed it to? Imagine it in close quarters...) then it really feels unfair to ask them to hurt their kid or explain their choice not to do so. Peanut allergies are not the trump card of disabilites. I will bend over backwards to help where I reasonably can but when it comes to my kid vs. strangers and we're within the rules... my job is to protect my kid.

Air flight is almost never an absolute necessity. There's a point at which if other people existing and minding their own business on a plane is life-threatening to you, the person who needs to reconsider their plans... is you. If being on the plane with peanuts could make you die and you don't NEED to be on the plane, maybe the responsible thing to do is to keep yourself safe and make other travel arrangements. I'm a big fan of reasonable accommodations, but there is a level of personal accountability that needs to be in play too.
For the OP, you might find you generate a fair bit of goodwill and co-operation if you inform those around you of the issue and pass out a nice alternative snack "in appreciation for the inconvenience." It's a good move to both be considerate of those around you and to suddenly be seated in the middle of allies.

That personal responsibility works both ways you know like controlling your child and helping them cope when they are throwing a fit because they can't have the snack they want because of the potential danger it could cause to someone else!! You make it sound like Autistic children are uncontrollable animals who can't be taught coping skills and that they should have their every whim catered too even when it could cause serious harm to someone else or possibly death.

This is exactly what I was saying in my earlier post.

If I KNEW someone on the plane had a peanut allergy, neither I nor my kids would be eating peanuts.

And there are alternatives to peanuts.

But they may not be available on the plane.

Yes, now that we've read this thread, most of us might think through not bringing peanut products as the only food - I know I did after my first (and only) flight during which it was requested that peanut products not be eaten. However, many people have never experienced such a flight (I've been on probably 80 flights in the past five years and have had ONE flight on which the "no peanut" request was made) and have little experience with allergies (as I said earlier, there is no one that I know personally with a deadly allergy). So, what happens when the announcement is only made once the flight is in the air and those "peanut alternatives" aren't available?

For the record, as I've said, now that I know that it is a possibility, I make sure to bring a safe snack (no peanuts or tree nuts - it is already gluten and dairy free due to my needs). And, even on that flight, I made due without my food (helped that I was in business class and was able to figure out some "safe for me" foods that they stocked). But - what happens?

donaldlovesdaisy said:
I have to ask if your son eats any other form of protein could he potentially die or is PB just the only kind he likes? Also if he doesn't have protein on a flight that last a few hours could he potentially die? I think if the answer is no then in cases like this the person with the life threatening disability trumps your kids needs to eat PB.

So an allergy trumps other needs?? I think not.

B
For the record, as I've said, now that I know that it is a possibility, I make sure to bring a safe snack (no peanuts or tree nuts - it is already gluten and dairy free due to my needs). And, even on that flight, I made due without my food (helped that I was in business class and was able to figure out some "safe for me" foods that they stocked). But - what happens?

Thank you for thinking about it on your future flights. The only thing that can really be asked for (and at least what I have been saying) is that people at least try if they know it's an issue that comes up. When somebody doesn't know and there is a conflict it needs to be worked through. I just don't get knowing and not caring.

I'm sorry, but "doesn't feel like the alternative" and "may die if you eat something" are completely different realms of issue. If that is seriously what you are talking about how can you honestly think that somebody dying does not trump somebody not feeling like changing the menu?

9 pages ..... wow.

Its pretty simple:

1) Airlines don't, and will probably never, ensure a peanut free environment on a plane. If you are someone/care for someone with a deathly peanut allergy - you do so at your own risk and with the knowledge that there is a strong likelihood of peanut effects on the flight.

2) People will eat peanut products on the flight - take it as a given. If you choose to travel knowing that fact, again you travel knowing the risk and it is at your liability.

You could be standing in the security queue - your kids be touched someone who's eating/just eaten PB, the airport itself is probably humming with airborne peanut dust that no amount of air circulation can clear out. How about cinemas, sitting next to people in any kind of event (school auditoriums etc) surely people with sever peanut allergies come into contact constantly with peanut dust or close proximity to peanuts - most of the time without even knowing it.

We would be happy not to eat PB if requested not to, but I doubt 100% of the aircraft will do so because of whatever reason - you may not like it, or agree with it, but its the way it is.

Yes, now that we've read this thread, most of us might think through not bringing peanut products as the only food - I know I did after my first (and only) flight during which it was requested that peanut products not be eaten. However, many people have never experienced such a flight (I've been on probably 80 flights in the past five years and have had ONE flight on which the "no peanut" request was made) and have little experience with allergies (as I said earlier, there is no one that I know personally with a deadly allergy). So, what happens when the announcement is only made once the flight is in the air and those "peanut alternatives" aren't available?

I understand what you're saying.

And I realize that some might find themselves on a plane w/o peanut alternatives & need the protein for various reasons.

However, in good conscience, I could not just sit there & eat peanuts or peanut butter KNOWING someone was on board w/ life threatening allergies w/o at least trying to be accommodating in any way I could. I couldn't be "Who cares? I'm giving my child a peanut butter sandwich anyway." I just couldn't.

That's not who I am, & that's not who I want to be. Our children are not special needs, but I would think (hope) that a mother w/ a special needs child would be even more understanding/sympathetic... instead of "not my child - not my problem."

The bolded in the following quote is from my first post. And, in those type situations, that's what I would do.

I haven't read the entire thread, so this may have already been mentioned -

For those of you who have to have peanut butter on a flight, have you considered almond butter or Nutella as a potential replacement? There are alternatives to peanut butter.

I realize there are some who have allergies to tree nuts as well as peanuts, but, as far as I know, peanut allergies are more common & potentially more life threatening.

I also understand that there's simply no way to guarantee a flight is peanut free - especially peanut dust free. And, like others have said, many products contain peanuts or have possible cross contamination. There's simply no way to ensure a 100% peanut free environment - anywhere.

However, I seriously cannot imagine willfully eating anything w/ peanut butter or giving my child anything w/ peanut butter if I know there is someone on the plane w/ a life threatening allergy to peanuts.

If I ate a peanut butter sandwich or gave my child some peanut butter crackers & someone DIED because of the peanuts I ate, I can't even imagine how I would feel - just absolutely awful & so guilty!

It's one thing to eat peanut butter or peanuts not knowing there's someone nearby w/ a peanut allergy, but knowing & then going ahead & eating peanuts anyway... I just couldn't do it.

If I were on the plane & had to have something to control my blood sugar or give something w/ protein to my child & the ONLY thing I had was peanuts or peanut butter, I think I'd probably ask a flight attendant for assistance, explain our medical issues, & then ask - "Is there a place we can go where we can eat this away from the person w/ allergies?" "Do you have anything we can eat in place of our peanut butter?"

I'm not just going to sit back in my seat & eat my peanut butter realizing that my doing so could cause the death of someone else.

Peanut allergies do not trump other disabilities, but I think potentially dying IS worse than storming or having a tantrum because you can't have peanut butter.

And, all this aside, I really feel for those of you that have children w/ life threatening peanut allergies. I would be in a constant state of hyper-vigilant anxiety. I could not put my child on a plane - the risks would just be too great for me. We would drive.

And I realize other opinions may vary. :upsidedow

And, like I also said, if I had a child w/ a life threatening peanut/peanut dust allergy, we would not be flying. I'd be a nervous wreck. I realize that there's absolutely no way to guarantee a 100% peanut environment anywhere.

But if I found myself on a plane (or anywhere really) & was told that someone had a peanut allergy, I would try my best to be as reasonably accommodating as I could. I couldn't just shrug my shoulders & keep eating my peanuts.

I agree that there are no easy solutions to this problem and I in no way think a persons specific disability or needs should be completely discounted for someone else's but at some point a decision has to be made and IMOP I really believe the person with the life threatening disability should take top priority. Is it possible that if all you or your child can eat or is willing to eat are nut products could you/they possibly eat right before getting on the plane that way there is no need to eat on the plane?

If it is life threatening then absolutely and shame on you to think other wise. I never really realized what a self centered society we lived untill I read this thread.

I agree that there are no easy solutions to this problem and I in no way think a persons specific disability or needs should be completely discounted for someone else's but at some point a decision has to be made and IMOP I really believe the person with the life threatening disability should take top priority. Is it possible that if all you or your child can eat or is willing to eat are nut products could you/they possibly eat right before getting on the plane that way there is no need to eat on the plane?

In my example - no. Since they didn't mention the issue until after we were on the plane, I'd have to have a time machine to do that. Plus, it was a six hour flight, so eating before getting on the plane would not have tided me over for the full flight. However, as I stated, I have solved the issue by making sure I have peanut and tree nut free products (that are also safe for me) to eat.

In reference to the bolded part - for someone with diabetes or hypoglycaemia (or other issues) it could very well be a life threatening issue if they couldn't eat for six hours. So, it isn't that simple.

I know that I may sound like I'm suggesting that people should freely eat peanuts after being asked not to do so, and I'm really not. I'm just pointing out issues. I do like the previous suggestion of eating somewhere away from the person with the peanut allergy (though I do have issues with having to eat in a plane lavatory).

In my example - no. Since they didn't mention the issue until after we were on the plane, I'd have to have a time machine to do that. Plus, it was a six hour flight, so eating before getting on the plane would not have tided me over for the full flight. However, as I stated, I have solved the issue by making sure I have peanut and tree nut free products (that are also safe for me) to eat.

In reference to the bolded part - for someone with diabetes or hypoglycaemia (or other issues) it could very well be a life threatening issue if they couldn't eat for six hours. So, it isn't that simple.

I know that I may sound like I'm suggesting that people should freely eat peanuts after being asked not to do so, and I'm really not. I'm just pointing out issues. I do like the previous suggestion of eating somewhere away from the person with the peanut allergy (though I do have issues with having to eat in a plane lavatory).

In my random, hypothetical situation, I'm imagining that the flight attendant sends me to first class... ;)

I'm hypoglycemic and PB is my go-to to get me through until I can get a better sources of protein. Crash is right, I could die if I had to go 6 hours without eating and I was having an episode.

When I fly I bring multiple snacks, some with PB, some without. On the one peanut free flight I was on, I didn't eat the PB snack. However it was a short flight and I didn't have an attack.

It is hard to find a snack that has enough protein to prevent another sugar level crash that doesn't have peanuts and doesn't have to be refrigerated or heated. I can obviously eat other things with less protein, but I have a much smaller window to eat real food before I crash again.

I do not think it is right that other passengers don't find out that it is a peanut-free flight UNTIL THEY ARE ON THE PLANE. It does not give other passengers any chance to get alternate snacks. I think that only people who ask the airline for a peanut-free flight at least 24-hours in advance should be accommodated. Then as each passenger checks in, they should be notified. All passengers should be notified again a few minutes before boarding begins. It should even be on the boarding pass. I think this is the most fair way to give the other passengers the option to switch flights or get alternative snacks.

donaldlovesdaisy said:

If it is life threatening then absolutely and shame on you to think other wise. I never really realized what a self centered society we lived untill I read this thread.

So it's self centered for someone to eat peanuts but not for the person who expects people to change for them?

So it's self centered for someone to eat peanuts but not for the person who expects people to change for them?
If eating peanuts could cause someone to die because of a life threatening allergy and you choose to put your own need to eat peanuts in front of that then yes it is self centered. Most reasonable thinking people would understand that. Now I guess if you have life threatening need to eat peanuts then I guess the two of you would have to draw straws to see who gets to live! ;)

donaldlovesdaisy said:
If eating peanuts could cause someone to die because of a life threatening allergy and you choose to put your own need to eat peanuts in front of that then yes it is self centered. Most reasonable thinking people would understand that. Now I guess if you have life threatening need to eat peanuts then I guess the two of you would have to draw straws to see who gets to live! ;)

I guess so ;) but I would win

As I've previously stated, it is the only protein he CAN eat. It has absolutely nothing to do with his likes or dislikes. There are very few foods he can eat at all...CAN eat...not LIKES to eat. This is not just a picky child we are talking about. He takes shots, enzymes, and over a dozen pills a day so don't even try to suggest that someone with an allergy has more rights than he does or has a more serious condition.

Kellykins1218 said:
As I've previously stated, it is the only protein he CAN eat. It has absolutely nothing to do with his likes or dislikes. There are very few foods he can eat at all...CAN eat...not LIKES to eat. This is not just a picky child we are talking about. He takes shots, enzymes, and over a dozen pills a day so don't even try to suggest that someone with an allergy has more rights than he does or has a more serious condition.

There is no need to explain.

No one has died on a flight from an allergic reaction to peanuts or anything else. I'm sure most people with that serious of an allergy premedicate just in case before boarding.

If you have to drive to the airport, arrive two hours before your flight, and have a flight for several hours, there aren't that many options for stable food to bring that isn't junk. They used to provide meals on most flights, now you're on your own in many cases. Peanut butter is a common choice for that situation. I've been on zero flights where this would turn out to be problem, so the issue seems greatly exaggerated on here.

I think most of the people commenting about this don't even have a peanut allergy, and just like to get riled up.

The chance of having someone on the flight with a severe peanut allergy (very small) and someone else in need of eating their peanut butter sandwich (very small) on the same flight is miniscule. This is most likely, a 10 page argument over nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!